Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

DIY How to fix the kitchen tap micro switch moisture problem (instruction and images)

M

MontyM

Vehicle
Grand California 680
Hi all!

As a new owner of a CG 680, this forum has been really helpful in troubleshooting some issues we had with the van.

We had a very long night figuring this tap problem in the middle of a travel. The water pump started to run even if the faucet was off, and the only way to stop this was to take out the fuse.

After lots of reading up on the same issue on this forum we decided to disassemble the tap and dry out the moisture inside the tap and the micro switch. There were more pictures and instructions found about the Cali tap (which looks different) so we decided to document the fix ourselves, and hoping this will be of assistence to others as well.

Few notes of care - the assembly after drying needs to be done meticulously in a way that the bottom two white plastic parts are very snugly and tightly against each other - otherwise the inside of the tap will flood again (and we also got a leak below the cabinet!). There should not be any give when pushing the plastic parts downwards on any part of the plastic surface. And of course, it is better to take the car to be fixed to a dealership if you feel you don't know what you are doing :)

https://imgur.com/gallery/esV5Fw2

Great post Monty and will be for the benefit of many others.
Thank you for taking the time to document your repair

Thank you Monty. Although I haven't had the problem yet at least I now know what to do if it happens.

Hi Monty, many thanks for that, just awaiting my turn for the tap to fail, would be intresting to know what VW are doing about this long term as this has been going on for 2 years now.

Will

Excellent post!!

In case this is of use to anyone (eg as I found without the right Allen key to hand while on the road), there is also a plastic connector under the sink which can be disconnected to ensure that micro switch circuit never closes, and is fairly accessible if you take the upper drawer out directly under the sink.

This way, you can still use the bathroom (and rear shower) tap without having to disable the whole system, and also use residual of simultaneous pressure to run the kitchen tap (albeit, wasting water).

Thanks for the detailed fix.
When I explained the issue to my dealer and said I thought it was the mircoswitch in the tap, he said ‘no, no, its just the onboard computer getting confused and needs resetting’. Couldn’t be bothered to argue the point as it’ll have to come back to me working either way. Only problem is it’s been disconnected for weeks now and might have dried out enough to start working. Probably end up taking it apart and making sure it’s properly sealed inside now I’ve seen the useful tutorial. it’s gone in for other faults, 9 in total so don’t know when I’ll get it back.

Excellent post!!

In case this is of use to anyone (eg as I found without the right Allen key to hand while on the road), there is also a plastic connector under the sink which can be disconnected to ensure that micro switch circuit never closes, and is fairly accessible if you take the upper drawer out directly under the sink.

This way, you can still use the bathroom (and rear shower) tap without having to disable the whole system, and also use residual of simultaneous pressure to run the kitchen tap (albeit, wasting water).
Can you tell me a bit more about disconnecting the sink. Which plastic connector under the sink are you referring to which can be disconnected so that the micro switch is isolated? I have attached a couple of photographs which might help.

D324567F-F270-4BB4-BDA0-715783F641C1.jpeg

4469D9FE-7052-4179-BFCE-81C65CF3EF7A.jpeg

Hi far.landscape can you confirm if the plastic connector that disconnects the sink tap micro switch is wrapped in the grey foam as shown in my photographs on my previous post?
Thanks.

Hi far.landscape can you confirm if the plastic connector that disconnects the sink tap micro switch is wrapped in the grey foam as shown in my photographs on my previous post?
Thanks.

Hi Topsy, sorry for the slow reply. Yes, it is. You will find (at least, I found) that the adhesive that holds the foam on is a pain to remove, and that once done the plastic connector is a pain to detach (requiring a flat bladed screwdriver), but yes, thats it.

Back