Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Sink tap micro switch

JohnCalifornia

JohnCalifornia

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 199
So after having an intermittent tap working when it wants I thought I’d have a go at cleaning the contacts after reading a few posts on here seemed like an easy job. I prised the tap handle off which was very easy to do and then saw the offending article. Everything looked ok with no obvious corrosion. I had a play with it and it worked every time I touched the contacts together. I put the tap handle back on but then heard something fall off inside the handle then the tap wouldn’t work at all. I took the handle off again and there was a tiny copper strip I laying loose in it. This was the copper strip that touches the contacts together. I had no idea how this fitted in so I had to google pics (most pics are from this site) then tried to re fit. At first I tried to do this with my hands but was impossible. My main mistake was not pulling the fuse or disconnecting the tap switch underneath the sink. As I was trying to fit the copper strip the pump kept turning on and off then all of a sudden just stopped . I feared the worst (burnt out pump) but concentrated on fitting the copper strip in the micro switch. I ended up doing this with a magnifying glass and long nose pliers. I put the tap handle back on then checked it and I could hear the micro switch clicking. Result, or so I thought. Still no pump running. Hoping it was the switch and not the pump I went to the shower connection at the rear of the Cali and turned the switch on. Still no pump running. My heart sank. Next step check the fuse. It’s located under the passenger seat and easy to find which one in the hand book. The fuse had blown. Luckily had some spare 5 amp fuses in the garage, replaced it and hey presto all working again. PHEW……..To say I was relieved is an understatement…….The tap is now working every time I use it but will monitor it. Top tip when doing this is put the plug in the plug hole, pull the fuse that feeds the pump and good task lighting . Also make sure you have water in the tank so you don’t burn the pump out. I have no idea why the fuse blew..

So after having an intermittent tap working when it wants I thought I’d have a go at cleaning the contacts after reading a few posts on here seemed like an easy job. I prised the tap handle off which was very easy to do and then saw the offending article. Everything looked ok with no obvious corrosion. I had a play with it and it worked every time I touched the contacts together. I put the tap handle back on but then heard something fall off inside the handle then the tap wouldn’t work at all. I took the handle off again and there was a tiny copper strip I laying loose in it. This was the copper strip that touches the contacts together. I had no idea how this fitted in so I had to google pics (most pics are from this site) then tried to re fit. At first I tried to do this with my hands but was impossible. My main mistake was not pulling the fuse or disconnecting the tap switch underneath the sink. As I was trying to fit the copper strip the pump kept turning on and off then all of a sudden just stopped . I feared the worst (burnt out pump) but concentrated on fitting the copper strip in the micro switch. I ended up doing this with a magnifying glass and long nose pliers. I put the tap handle back on then checked it and I could hear the micro switch clicking. Result, or so I thought. Still no pump running. Hoping it was the switch and not the pump I went to the shower connection at the rear of the Cali and turned the switch on. Still no pump running. My heart sank. Next step check the fuse. It’s located under the passenger seat and easy to find which one in the hand book. The fuse had blown. Luckily had some spare 5 amp fuses in the garage, replaced it and hey presto all working again. PHEW……..To say I was relieved is an understatement…….The tap is now working every time I use it but will monitor it. Top tip when doing this is put the plug in the plug hole, pull the fuse that feeds the pump and good task lighting . Also make sure you have water in the tank so you don’t burn the pump out. I have no idea why the fuse blew..
There is a help file in the resources section with a video link as well - https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/resources/vw-california-t6-tap-microswitch-maintenance-repair.221/

It won’t download for me. I’m using an iPad at the moment so this may be why….

You might get lucky, but I did the same with my one, while away on holiday and had to fix with a pair of tweezers after it all fell to peices. It worked again for a while but eventually let me down again. In the end I replaced with a new tap

which was quite easy to do but quite expensive. I have also repaired the old tap now as a spare with a replacement micro switch which is available to buy for a few pounds.

The replacement switch seems to work when tested with a multimeter but was quite hard to fit and needed a bit of modification to make it click in the right place. Hopefully will do as a spare if I ever need it though. But I would definitely recommend a whole new tap as the best fix if it has any more problems.

The Cali is still under manufacturer warranty until June 2024 so if it starts failing again I’ll go down the warranty route and hopefully get a new tap fitted. I didn’t want to take it this time as couldn’t be doing with the faff of booking in, getting problem diagnosed then booking in again to get fixed and the whole process will probably take a month to fix when I was hoping I could fix in a few minutes which to be fair I could probably do again if needed but next time I’ll remove the fuse for the pump………