Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Tap for kitchen sink and water pump

Was in the same position re the tap last week. If you pull out the top under sink draw, - just pull out to full extent & then lift up the front edge & it should pop off the runners. You can then get to the cable that feeds the tap switch, I cut that. You can then put the fuse back in & have water working everywhere else. The shower hose enables that tap to reach the kitchen sink if needed.

I understand the new tap comes with a new cable. If not its only a 2 minute job to rejoin it.
Nice reply Andy and in good time.

Help...in deepest Portugal, 3 weeks into trip and the f*****g microswitch on (assume) kitchen tap won't switch off water pump. Frankly sick to back teeth with the unreliability of this very expensive grand California. I have removed 5 amp fuse to deactivate pump but now face prospect of 2 more weeks without pump.
Is there a quick fix by getting access to micro switch under sink?
How do I get to it?
If drawer needs to be removed ...how?
So far....new fridge, new catches on cupboards, self diagnosed and fixed faulty connections to sat dish, control panel freezes every couple of weeks. Great concept, VW but crap delivery.
Any advice please...and to those thinking of buying....my advice...think again

Hi Leeb if you don’t have the tools to open the micro switch (there’s plenty of info how to on the forum) try drying the tap with a hair dryer if that works avoid getting the tap wet. If not follow Andy’s advice.
Wish we were in Portugal.
Good luck

Thanks for that...I have the 680 so possibly need to remove second drawer down (deep one).. just spent an hour lying on my back peering up at mechanism. Cannot fathom how to release runners to remove drawer. Any suggestions?....anyone??
Thanks

Help...in deepest Portugal, 3 weeks into trip and the f*****g microswitch on (assume) kitchen tap won't switch off water pump. Frankly sick to back teeth with the unreliability of this very expensive grand California. I have removed 5 amp fuse to deactivate pump but now face prospect of 2 more weeks without pump.
How do I get to it?
So far....new fridge, new catches on cupboards, self diagnosed and fixed faulty connections to sat dish, control panel freezes every couple of weeks. Great concept, VW but crap delivery.
I take it the removal of the tap cover, parting of contacts and spraying of wd40 or similar has occurred? Once the water pump has been stopped in this instance of course.

Thanks for that...I have the 680 so possibly need to remove second drawer down (deep one).. just spent an hour lying on my back peering up at mechanism. Cannot fathom how to release runners to remove drawer. Any suggestions?....anyone??
Thanks
It’s similar to regular kitchen draws. I’ve copied this description from another site
Underneath on the tracks towards the front there’s a clip on drawer runner that you push back away from draw front and the draw will pop up then pull it towards you and the back will release.
Cheers

I take it the removal of the tap cover, parting of contacts and spraying of wd40 or similar has occurred? Once the water pump has been stopped in this instance of course.
This is a good suggestion...any tips on removing tap cover?

It’s similar to regular kitchen draws. I’ve copied this description from another site
Underneath on the tracks towards the front there’s a clip on drawer runner that you push back away from draw front and the draw will pop up then pull it towards you and the back will release.
Cheers
Thanks Yorkshire man...will look again later.

Thanks Yorkshire man...will look again later.
The following is on this thread.

I found the kitchen tap to be an easy fix and can be done in-situ.
Take the red/blue cap out of the top with a blade. Unscrew the 2mm Allen key under it and the tap opens up. You will see the micro switch. Seperate the two switch plates by a couple of mm. It stops it arcing and contacting over bumps therefore stops pump constantly running.

We had the same problem before any info was available within the forum and the hair dryer fix worked for us. Our third tap now works ok after the technician who fitted it sprayed it with silicone.
Famous last words!

Brilliant...will get my cycle kit out later. Will let you know

The following is on this thread.

I found the kitchen tap to be an easy fix and can be done in-situ.
Take the red/blue cap out of the top with a blade. Unscrew the 2mm Allen key under it and the tap opens up. You will see the micro switch. Seperate the two switch plates by a couple of mm. It stops it arcing and contacting over bumps therefore stops pump constantly running.

We had the same problem before any info was available within the forum and the hair dryer fix worked for us. Our third tap now works ok after the technician who fitted it sprayed it with silicone.
Famous last words!

Did that twice on mine, ended it with the pump still running, hence giving up & just cutting the cable.

How do I get to it?
It is frustrating but the tap internals have gotten wet which causes the pump to stay on. Remove the fuse, wait a few hours until the tap internals dry out and replace fuse. It's not ideal. I've recently had the taps replaced on my GCs.

Did that twice on mine, ended it with the pump still running, hence giving up & just cutting the cable.
Depressing!....an on/off rocker in gas manifold cupboard on return....meanwhile
Repair as pointed out by yorkshie man has worked ...

Depressing!....an on/off rocker in gas manifold cupboard on return....meanwhile
Repair as pointed out by yorkshie man has worked ...
No point putting a switch in , just get the new design of tap fitted by your dealer.

Was in the same position re the tap last week. If you pull out the top under sink draw, - just pull out to full extent & then lift up the front edge & it should pop off the runners. You can then get to the cable that feeds the tap switch, I cut that. You can then put the fuse back in & have water working everywhere else. The shower hose enables that tap to reach the kitchen sink if needed.

I understand the new tap comes with a new cable. If not its only a 2 minute job to rejoin it.
You can also reach the tap wire from the tank access hole under the bed, which seems a lot easier!

I simply added an inline switch to the wiring in case my tap goes wrong.

Good points both... Domininchayhoe, do you have a picture of the cable in the loom under the bed that serves the micro switch

Good points both... Domininchayhoe, do you have a picture of the cable in the loom under the bed that serves the micro switch
Not at the moment, but I can take one tomorrow.

I've also had the new tap fitted on our GC 600s. AFAIK the tap is now an official TPI (Technical Bulletin) and can be replaced free of charge under warranty. It looks and feels much better. Time will tell of course but VW wouldn't have taken so long to address this without making sure that this new tap is up to standard...or at least I sincerely hope so!

View attachment 93274
Hi - my tap has just suffered the problem (constantly running pump). I’m in France at the moment touring so I’ve isolated it by unplugging the feed to the microswitch and just about to book it into VW to be sorted on our return. Can you advise / do you know the reference number of the Technical Service Bulletin, hoping to speed things along at the dealers and ensure they have the AFAIK tap in stock.

Pain in the arse isn't it Gordon H?
Remove the red and blue plastic covers in the centre of the tap..I used the tip of a very sharp blade (Stanley knife)
Remove Allen screw with a 2 mm key.
Carefully open up the tap base containing the microswitch. ....let everything dry out...I sprayed a very little wd40 over the connections.
But back together...I used a smear of lithium grease from my bike tool bag between the base and the lid of the tap base.
Got us back home with a working tap
Good luck

Hi - my tap has just suffered the problem (constantly running pump). I’m in France at the moment touring so I’ve isolated it by unplugging the feed to the microswitch and just about to book it into VW to be sorted on our return. Can you advise / do you know the reference number of the Technical Service Bulletin, hoping to speed things along at the dealers and ensure they have the AFAIK tap in stock.
Do you have the technical bulletin reference number please

@Soton Campers Given my other post (on new to me GC680) that my dealer won't replace the tap as it is not currently faulting and thus not warrantable though they acknowledge I have 'fixed it' advised rushing it in when faulted...yes you can imagine my response, but they won't change it unless instructed by VW Customer Service so going to have to harass them when I find time. In the meantime 70mls of diesel wasted taking to dealer for 'diagnostics'

Email VW customer service. Mine is going in week starting 25th July to fit new tap. Like you I did a "fix on the hoof" whilst on holiday in Spain.

@Soton Campers Given my other post (on new to me GC680) that my dealer won't replace the tap as it is not currently faulting and thus not warrantable though they acknowledge I have 'fixed it' advised rushing it in when faulted...yes you can imagine my response, but they won't change it unless instructed by VW Customer Service so going to have to harass them when I find time. In the meantime 70mls of diesel wasted taking to dealer for 'diagnostics'
That sounds like my experience years ago with Kettering van centre on a T5.1- 100 mile round trip to show them that the 3rd brake light lens had dropped off. Wouldn't accept it had until they saw it & wouldn't order part in.
Rang me weeks later to say part now in, booked to fit it, arrived ( another 100 mile round trip) to be told that they had sent it back as fitting date was too long after the part arriving. They wouldn't just send me the part to fit as VW wanted the missing part back!
Gave up at that point & bought a replacement on line.

Do you have the technical bulletin reference number please
Hi,

No, afraid I dont have any reference number but can confirm after speaking to the dealer there is a ‘campaign’ for the tap and it gets replaced with the ‘165A’ part not the original ‘165’ part.

Back