The Blue Merle

The Blue Merle

4x4 joker
Top Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
N/A
Hi

I'm looking to buy a kenwood dnx525 is work the money cheapest I've found is £800
Will the blue tooth phone work with multi function steering wheel (answering phone).
I have a factory 300 unit and feel a bit conned it hasn't got blue tooth but has phone answer button on steering wheel! Any help or advise
Thanks
Dave

Just upgraded my 520 to the 525 & it is so much better, DAB is great , everything works as it should mfsw, parking sensors etc.

Did you fit it yourself, and does the phone answer button on steering wheel work with it too?

Yes I did, its plug & play, comes with a canbus adaptor for the wiring loom & the steering wheel functions all work.

£800 sounds about right, just make sure it is a UK model with full warranty.

Is it possible to get the Nav directions on the DIS (the little display panel in between the Rev counter and the speedo) with the kenwood?

Unfortunately no it doesn't

Hmm, shame, seen as how it's made for VW surprised Kenwood didn't enable this.

I have the RNS 510 and whilst it's not perfect I do like having the directions on the DIS, I find it way less distracting than looking at the centre console.

Saying that I'm sure the Kenwood is more advanced, probably faster too.

Hi
My brother has a Skoda VRS with one of the kenwood DNX units in and to be honest I haven't been that impressed with it when I've borrowed the car, although saying that I do like to keep thinks 'factory'. Maybe his is a few years old now.
I replaced our RCD310 with an RNS315 sat nav unit, it is plug and play almost and does work with the steering wheel and dash display, also this unit has built in Bluetooth so no need to mess about with external Bluetooth unit like the RNS510, just position the Bluetooth mic once installed, and tell the computer it now has navigation with vagcom.
I got a bargain with ours it was around £200 off eBay, virtually brand new and local to me, but generally you'd get a virtually new one for £300-£350.
Actually something to note apparently not all RNS315 systems have Bluetooth and DAB, mine has both, but if you did have a look at them make sure it has on it what you want.

Last edited:
Interesting...I ordered Bluetooth and steering wheel controls or so I thought! Only my supplier got the spec wrong so I was supplied a kenpwood to make up for it, but phone doesn't work from steering wheel!
Now wondering if I should find a kenwood dealer who has the knowledge to make it work....!
Any one know of one north of the border?

Hi Dottie,

Have a chat with Hazzy Dayz. They know a lot about retro fitting genuine VW electrical gubbins. I am sure they can help with your steering wheel controls.

www.hazzydayz.com

Discount too, if you are a VIP member of the forum.

Alan