Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Questions regarding RCD330 plus

N

Northbridge

Vehicle
N/A
Hi. So i bought a Cali from 2014, with what i guess is the standard media system installed. Which means i have a multi function steering wheel, but the phone buttons does nothing. Furthermore, there apparently arent bluetooth installed.

So ive been looking at the RCD330 plus, and been reading up on it in here. It seems super easy to install. But i have some questions, which i think those of you, who have installed it, can answer quickly:

- Does the RCD330 unit have bluetooth by it self? Or does the fact i my car havent got it now, mean that it still wont work with RCD330?

- Is it correctly understood by me, that the RCD unit has a speaker fitted for wireless phone conversations? Or would i need an additional speaker?

- Will the buttons on the steeringwheel work?

- Do phones connect automatically after the initial connection ?

Thanks!

Okay! Not much attention here, but that’s alright ;)

I’ve looked up some of the questions, and found some answers on eBay. But again, it’s the sellers that write this stuff, it would be nice to here from someone that’s actually tried.

It does have stand alone Bluetooth AND a speaker on the head unit.

The only thing I’m still not sure about, is wether the steering wheel buttons work out of the box, or if additional work needs to be done.

This unit has been discussed on here. Worth a search (using Google rather than the search box here)
Some have used it. Lack of dab was a worry but not for those who could stream music over data.

They are taken out of vehicles in China and then sold on, @calikev has one in this vehicle, he may be able to comment on what works.

Hi. So i bought a Cali from 2014, with what i guess is the standard media system installed. Which means i have a multi function steering wheel, but the phone buttons does nothing. Furthermore, there apparently arent bluetooth installed.

So ive been looking at the RCD330 plus, and been reading up on it in here. It seems super easy to install. But i have some questions, which i think those of you, who have installed it, can answer quickly:

- Does the RCD330 unit have bluetooth by it self? Or does the fact i my car havent got it now, mean that it still wont work with RCD330?

- Is it correctly understood by me, that the RCD unit has a speaker fitted for wireless phone conversations? Or would i need an additional speaker?

- Will the buttons on the steeringwheel work?

- Do phones connect automatically after the initial connection ?

Thanks!

I've had one fitted for about a year. to answer your questions:

1. It has its own Bluetooth function; therefore, your connectivity is direct with the unit.
2. I don't understand the second question. The RCD is installed and the existing speaker cables interface with the new unit. Any audio output is to the vehicle speakers and the unit does not have an independent speaker.
3. The steering wheel buttons all work to operated the radio.
4. Yes, Bluetooth auto connects once the you power it up if you have already authorised the device.

Do you have the Apple Play with your unit?

Hi all - thanks for this thread! After reading up - mainly on this forum as it seem the best/only source of information on the RCD330+ I’ve taken the plunge and ordered on on eBay from bestbuyingshop China €161 (£150) Price in euros and description in German but hey it’s £30 cheaper than the same in English so fingers crossed!!!
It’s to upgrade the original basic stereo/cd on my on my 2013 T5 California. I wanted Apple CarPlay and Bluetooth streaming which the RCD330+ provides.
Would have liked DAB which it doesn’t, but in the end decided that the alternatives of a Pioneer/Sony/Kenwood we’re a bit too pricy and couldn’t justify it. I also liked having the physical buttons and vol knobs as well as the Sd card slot (although not sure what I’ll use that for!)
Hopefully the RCD330+ will give a good sound, be easy to fit, and the lack of RDS tuning and DAB radio won’t be too annoying - that is if it makes here all the way from China and the import duty isn’t so high I have to sell the van to pay for it.......I’ll let you know when it comes. CEBCB006-5112-4123-89F8-1D4516288448.png

you can stream radio on it no problem

Hi
about to order the same unit on ebay dispatch from china, how did you get on with yours did in arrive and is it the genuine part?
thanks ben
Hi Ben
Yes it arrived - all ok and as new and packed well with protective film still on the screen but not in a branded box. There was no duty to pay either.
I fitted it in myself with minimal hassle- just needed and adaptor for the arial as it only has a single connection on the back. Works really well and very pleased with it - I use apple CarPlay and all the apps work really smoothly like maps amazon music contacts phone etc. Only downside is that on the radio RDS doesn’t work which I knew from other posts - this means that if you’re driving and listening on fm you need to retune every now and then but no big deal and generally I use the tune in radio app on CarPlay which solves the problem.
Generally love it - it has really made it feel like a new van!

Back