Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

How do I top up my leisure battery on the Beach?

21millionDoc

Vehicle
Looking to buy
Hi folks,

I’m really hoping that someone has the answer to this question because I’ve been waiting for an answer from VW for four months and I’ve a feeling they don’t know the answer. My question is, can I charge the leisure battery on my 2021 California Beach by using an external power supply? I know that I can top up the battery by driving along but I’m too afraid to connect a fridge if I’m not driving in case it drains the battery and I’m left unable to drive and top it up. I do not have an electrical connection on the outside. I do have a regular UK 3 pin plug socket on the base of my drivers seat though. If anyone can answer this I will be so happy.

Thank you

You should be able to use a mains charger (For an AGM ) battery, plugged into the 12v socket near the Sliding door, in the boot or on the B Pillar, these should all be connected to the leisure battery circuit, so naturally if you plug the charger into one of those sockets with an appropriate 12v cigarette adaptor it should charge the leisure battery

Your van has two batteries, one is for the engine the other supplies the sockets & lights in the back.

If you plug it in somewhere other than the dashboard sockets, your fridge will be working off the leisure battery, whilst its not good to flatten it completely, even if you do, your engine will start on the other one.
There is a setting on the control panel to boost the charging of the leisure battery when the engine is running, it turns off the stop/start & raises the speed of the engine whilst stationary, using this will top up the leisure battery quicker.

Has anyone tried Perfectos idea above, on a 2021 Beach?

Read on a german forum where a t6.1 beach owner charges his leisure battery via the main battery in the front under the hood with a c-tek charger. Anyone tried this?

He also says that this is an improvement over the t6.

Read on a german forum where a t6.1 beach owner charges his leisure battery via the main battery in the front under the hood with a c-tek charger. Anyone tried this?

He also says that this is an improvement over the t6.
There is a relay, that “connects” the alternator to the leisure battery, the relay may prevent the charging of the LB (leisure Battery) via the SB (starter battery) connection.
you can check it with an ameter, whilst connection the Starter battery to a 12v charger, if the LB receives a charge the circuit is open and the LB will receive a trickle charge.
I doubt that the LB will receive a full charge from the SB connection

A direct connection to the LB can be made via the cigarette sockets generally located from the B pillar rearward

Edit @Loz is the resident electrical expert, although he may have limited experience of the Beach ?

Has anyone tried Perfectos idea above, on a 2021 Beach?
Works fine on a 2012, so no reason why 2021 is not the same.

(Although since fitting 2 x solar panels. Have not needed to charge leisure battery with an external charger)

Works fine on a 2012, so no reason why 2021 is not the same.

(Although since fitting 2 x solar panels. Have not needed to charge leisure battery with an external charger)
Solar panels is being looked at. How did you install them to charge your leisure battery?

What type of electric equipment do you use in the car? We are going to use a compressor fridge and the heating of course and the charging up phones etc.

Back