Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Do people take trailers?

Garyh09

Garyh09

Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
Hi, being new to the Cali scene and being a family of 4 with 2 young children I was just wondering if many people tow trailers with them when off on their breaks or is the idea to just travel light? We have just had a towbar fitted for a bike carrier when needed and was thinking perhaps if we were going on a longer trip we could possibly take more things with a trailer?

Gary

I thought the same , I was looking for a very small and secure trailer with a good top to it . Having just made a long trip in my hired Cali , to try before my one arrives , space was really at a premium and I didnt like it.... is its gotta be a trailer or a roof box or a bike rack bag or box or simply take much less with you , the latter which I find hard to do.

I would never do it (Well maybe to the dump). Rather a roof box or a rear box if needed. Towing eliminates, in my opinion, the dynamic benefits of a campervan and makes the car a lot less agile.

In my experience i get better economy with a trailer than when i put stuff on the roof

Downside i guess is possible increased ferry prices and more awkward parking.

Sent from my MotoE2(4G-LTE) using Tapatalk

In my experience i get better economy with a trailer than when i put stuff on the roof
Downside i guess is possible increased ferry prices and more awkward parking.

Not to forget the limit on speed … ;-)

It is all depedable on your own needs , i can imagine a family of four needs a lot of gear and the trailer can stay at the campsite if staying for longer periode on one site .
However we are just two of us and everything perfect fits in . For us the Cali needs to be just the Cali and nothing more as @Kmann says. I want to go everywhere a car can go and towing a trailer limits this. entering towns and parkinglots with a trailer ...? Parking and overnight stay on free aires with a trailer.. ? Higher toll rate on French peage also
But as some on here have stated in other treads , the Cali is a perfect towing verhicle.

Last edited:
I have a pet hate of towing, been there and done it with trailer tent, boat etc - all a PITA.

I definitely go with the idea of travel light and pack carefully.

Use every cupboard space, think what you really need and pack/plan carefully.

"If it's on show, it doesn't go" is my motto and which we always fail to put into practise! ;)

What are you guys taking that needs a trailer etc?

Thanks for the replies, suppose it boils down to preference but at least I feel a bit more confident that whatever decision I make it won't be frowned on.

Sorry, maybe should have elaborated a bit more, we have a beach so no cupboard space, was thinking bedding, awning, gas bottle and other bulky items to perhaps leave the Cali more comfortable and spacious for travelling in.

Hi, being new to the Cali scene and being a family of 4 with 2 young children I was just wondering if many people tow trailers with them when off on their breaks or is the idea to just travel light? We have just had a towbar fitted for a bike carrier when needed and was thinking perhaps if we were going on a longer trip we could possibly take more things with a trailer?
We too are a family of four, with two young children, ages 2 and 3 and two dogs.

We hope to spend a full year touring Europe, beginning 5 June. Having had several practice goes in our new Beach, we think that we can pack everything in the van without either, 1. roof box, 2. trailer, or 3. tow bar carrier. There are some ingenious space saving devices for the Beach, such as rear window mounted wardrobe bags.

However, if when we finally pack for our year away and we find we do not have enough room, our first preference is to use a towbar mounted rack and rack bag. A roof box will effect our roof mounted solar panels, and if we have a trailer we will simply feel that we should have kept our old car and bought a caravan.

Trailer plus points--
Due to Cali being a van the trailer would slipstream with minimal drag.
UK 60mph speed limit would benefit fuel consumption and actually makes little difference to travel time.
If a box trailer a bike carrier rack system could be fitted on top, again little drag effect.
(I've just tried 3 different Thule towball bike racks and the tailgate won't open with one fitted)
Towball bag system also would prevent tailgate opening.
Bulk & weight can be put in trailer giving better ride in Cali and more free space.
Once on site trailer parked giving external storage facility.
A 750kgs trailer would give an increase load capacity of 500kgs.
Trailer cost would be comparable to just a VW tailgate bike rack.
Cali has a trailer stability program installed if a factory fitted towbar.

In reality care would have to be taken as it is easy to forget it's there as not visible in normal straight ahead driving.

In the end the decision is yours. You could hire or possibly borrow one on a trial basis.

Avoid a trailer, it will limit your speed and parking en route if you decide to stop at a supermarket for example, it will also increase any fare you pay on a ferry. Invest in a good box or bag to go on the bike rack.

The boxes below are excellent for fitting under the Beach multiflex:
IMG_2425 (1).JPGIMG_2456.JPG

I have pondered it but I bought my Cali partially so I could exceed 60mph, as my T25 was pretty hard to get over that. I must admit the space for extra stuff in the beach would be tempting.

As with so much on this forum, it depends on how/where you plan to travel, and what stuff you regard as essential to take.

For myself: apart from the speed limitations and parking, I'd hate to be lumbered with a trailer because on a lot of our trips we like to use the tiny roads in places like Devon, mid-Wales and Scottish Highlands. That exploits the ability of the Cali to go pretty much anywhere that a car can. Having to reverse a trailer into passing spaces on single track roads would certainly be a PITA and might deter us from giving a go to the littlest yellow wiggles on the OS map.

If we needed the extra storage I would deffo go for a roof box + stowage on a rear rack in preference to a trailer. But better still, travel ruthlessly light (easy enough when there's just two of us and the dog, I admit).

Never easy reversing a trailer you can't see!!

IMG_2724.JPG IMG_3094.JPG Three vehicles in one ! Anssems 1200kg braked 750kg unbraked both trailers x4 locks on roof and back . Aluminium. Waterproof elevating roof with built in roof rack that will take 100kg . Total flexibility .

Last edited:
Avoid a trailer, it will limit your speed and parking en route if you decide to stop at a supermarket for example, it will also increase any fare you pay on a ferry. Invest in a good box or bag to go on the bike rack.
Bikes go where?
Rack down takes length to over 5mtrs which puts up a length charge category on some Ferries.
On Brittany Ferries it cost me £60 extra return for a standard length trailer. Bike rack cheaper admittedly.
In France no speed limit with a 750kgs trailer attached.
Never found parking at Supermarkets a problem, just need 2 spaces clear.

Nothing black and white over whether to trailer or not.

Bikes go where?
Rack down takes length to over 5mtrs which puts up a length charge category on some Ferries.
On Brittany Ferries it cost me £60 extra return for a standard length trailer. Bike rack cheaper admittedly.
In France no speed limit with a 750kgs trailer attached.
Never found parking at Supermarkets a problem, just need 2 spaces clear.

Nothing black and white over whether to trailer or not.

French speed limits for towing - 750kg trailer + cali takes you over 3500kg train weight which puts you in the slow lane with a limit of 90kmh = 56mph

Sorry, maybe should have elaborated a bit more, we have a beach so no cupboard space, was thinking bedding, awning, gas bottle and other bulky items to perhaps leave the Cali more comfortable and spacious for travelling in.

The Beach takes a while to figure out where things go. Everyone is different, but it has more space than you probably realise. The more you get away and use it, the more you discover where things need to live etc.
We have bedding on top of the multi-flex, it all fits on there including toppers etc.
Clothes, sports goods, BBQ and miscellaneous box under the multi-flex.
Cutlery/plates etc in the first draw
Cereals in the second
Other foods in the third
Torches, wipes and various camping bits in the side compartment
Don't forget the door pockets and seat pockets
First aid and emergency stuff in the spare wheel jack cupboard at the rear
Levelling chocks with the chairs

Loads of space, pack wisely and it will all fit.
Think if you really need something, because most times you probably don't :thumb

This thread has a few ideas too

https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/volkswagen-california-camping-with-babies.15687/