Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Do the front mudflaps actually work?

Days out

Days out

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
IMG_3463.PNG Dear California experts. I'm finding that as the weather is getting worse and my lane is getting more muddy the side of my lovely onyx white Cali is getting increasingly dirty. I am thinking of getting some front mudflaps (not rears as no way do I want to ruin the rear bumper)

But my question is do they actually work?

Do they stop crud going up the side of the van? They look easy to fit and quite unobtrusive but there is no point buying if they don't really work.

Photo is of type in thinking of getting. Similar to OEM part.

Thanks in advance!

As far as I'm concerned, both front and rear definitely work judging by the amount of mud collected on both and the absence on the side panels and my side bars, which also help.

Offcoarse they work , but there will still get dirt on the verhicle.

And beware you easy can rip them off on a high curb while parking up , especially the rear-ones.

Thanks I am only interested in the front flaps. I guess I wanted to know if at least they reduce the crud flung up on the side.

I'd like to retrofit mudflaps, do it worth get VW originals ones? Are those as "good" as originals?

View attachment 17130 Dear California experts. I'm finding that as the weather is getting worse and my lane is getting more muddy the side of my lovely onyx white Cali is getting increasingly dirty. I am thinking of getting some front mudflaps (not rears as no way do I want to ruin the rear bumper)

But my question is do they actually work?

Do they stop crud going up the side of the van? They look easy to fit and quite unobtrusive but there is no point buying if they don't really work.

Photo is of type in thinking of getting. Similar to OEM part.

Thanks in advance!
Of course they work. However, they do also make water spray cling to the back of the van when driving at speed. A real issue in winter when transporting bikes on the rear - they get covered in salt and corrode real quick.
Check out the amount of rear windscreen cleaning with and without and you'll be amazed.
I've just ordered a new T6 Cali without and the different is incredible - I would rather get some mud on the side to wash off than corroded expensive bike rack and cycle parts.
Your choice I guess.....

Of course they work. However, they do also make water spray cling to the back of the van when driving at speed. A real issue in winter when transporting bikes on the rear - they get covered in salt and corrode real quick.
Check out the amount of rear windscreen cleaning with and without and you'll be amazed.
I've just ordered a new T6 Cali without and the different is incredible - I would rather get some mud on the side to wash off than corroded expensive bike rack and cycle parts.
Your choice I guess.....

Thanks for the info. I've just removed my bike rack from the back for daily driving. Very easy to do and surprisingly light weight.

I've noticed a distinct lack of mud on the side of my van since fitting the front flaps but as you say the spray does get sucked into the back end.

Your choice I guess.....

I'm planning on fitting front mudflaps but concerned about this comment regarding the spray is transferred to the back. Is this the experience from others with front mudflaps?

Front flaps help keep tar & stones off the side panel.
Never heard of front flaps transfering spray to the rear.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

I'm planning on fitting front mudflaps but concerned about this comment regarding the spray is transferred to the back. Is this the experience from others with front mudflaps?
No, you get it on the back because of the aerodynamics of the vehicle and if you don't have rear mud flaps even more so.

These non VW ones have recently appeared on the market.
The rears look more practical and fronts are difficult to redesign due to the door edge movement.

Various suppliers.

or these

Last edited:
Since fitting All Season 'V' pattern tread tyres I've noticed much more spray/mud being sent out sideways than the Summer treaded tyres did. Makes the sides dirtier even after only a short run. As in @Loz's photo.
Mud flaps fitted by the factory.

Mud flaps essential for me as holiday home in France in an Equestrian area. Bit sh!!y.

No, you get it on the back because of the aerodynamics of the vehicle and if you don't have rear mud flaps even more so.
I've got no mud flaps on whatsoever, and the tailgate gets covered in road spray real quick. My previous T5 had mudflaps all round and still the rear got covered in road spray real quick!

I’ve got factory front and rear mud flaps and whilst not spotless by any means definitely reduces mud and dirt going on to sides and rear - a worthwhile investment imho.

Thanks Loz. Looks like the mudguards make no difference. How does the back look?

Interesting you've also got the stick on wheel arch protectors. I was looking at those after some bad stone chips on the top of rear arch. Do you recommend them?

Of course mud flaps are usefull in cutting down some of the mud. What would be the point in making them if they didn't work?

However, if you really want to reduce muck on the sides of your van, my experience is that side pipes are more effective. I have the old style T5 ones with the round cross section fitted to our T6. Because they stick out beyond the sill, any mud thrown up hits them first and a lot gets deflected away. That's not to say your van will remain as clean as a whistle because it won't what ever you fit.

I live out in the sticks and the roads are mainly surfaced in mud of various depths at this time of year. So once I've cleaned our Cali it's caked again within 50 yards.

Mine has mudflaps but with the wider 18” wheels fitted they are not really wide enough.

Back