Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Vanstyle Mudflaps

B

Baylinerjersey

Vehicle
T6.1 Beach camper 150
Hi All,

I have purchased some after marker mudflaps from Vanstyle and wondering if anyone has fitted these before. It seems they need to be drilled and screwed into the bumper on the sides which I am not to keen on doing.Its a brand Cali and if later down the line I don’t like them I will be left with some holes.

Looking at some original mudflaps at my local dealer they seem different and are not screwed in. Just wondering how they hold up on the sides.

Vanstyle also do original Vw mudflaps but these also look like they have to be screwed in so a little confused to the different versions there are

thanks in advance

paolo

Hi All,

I have purchased some after marker mudflaps from Vanstyle and wondering if anyone has fitted these before. It seems they need to be drilled and screwed into the bumper on the sides which I am not to keen on doing.Its a brand Cali and if later down the line I don’t like them I will be left with some holes.

Looking at some original mudflaps at my local dealer they seem different and are not screwed in. Just wondering how they hold up on the sides.

Vanstyle also do original Vw mudflaps but these also look like they have to be screwed in so a little confused to the different versions there are

thanks in advance

paolo
Hiya, my understanding is that the VW dealer fit (or self fit) options involve drilling and I completely get why you wouldn't want to (I didn't).

I think the factory fit ones are the only VW option that are not drilled / screwed from the outside.
As they are fitted during van assembly.

I, too missed the boat and didn't spec them when we ordered, so I went for these, which are a 10min DIY job which use existing holes and require no drilling. They are "Shorty" style, really design for vans that have been lowered lots, but I think they look just fine.

Although I bought the set, I only fitted the rears as there is plenty of suggestion out there that the front doors rub them and have lead to corrosion on the bottom of the door.

I was more than happy with £30 and just having the rears fitted.

Hope that helps?

Stu@rt

Hiya, my understanding is that the VW dealer fit (or self fit) options involve drilling and I completely get why you wouldn't want to (I didn't).

I think the factory fit ones are the only VW option that are not drilled / screwed from the outside.

I, too missed the boat and didn't spec them when we ordered, so I went for these, which are a 10min DIY job which use existing holes and require no drilling. They are "Shorty" style, really design for vans that have been lowered lots, but I think they look just fine.

Although I bought the set, I only fitted the rears as there is plenty of suggestion out there that the front doors rub them and have lead to corrosion on the bottom of the door.

Hope that helps?

Stu@rt
Thanks for the info.. I will think very carefully if the muds flaps are worth the screw in to the bumper. It’s a new California only 3 weeks old and would hate to drill holes then regret it at a later date

I put aftermarket mud flaps on mine, maybe Van-X. No drilling, they screw into the same screw holes that are used to hold the wheel arch linings to the vehicle. Simply remove the existing screw, place flap in place and put the screw back.

I put aftermarket mud flaps on mine, maybe Van-X. No drilling, they screw into the same screw holes that are used to hold the wheel arch linings to the vehicle. Simply remove the existing screw, place flap in place and put the screw back.
Are you able to send a photo of them please.. thank you

Are you able to send a photo of them please.. thank you

We are happy with ours.

Hope that helps?

Stu@rt
Great tip - bought immediately :thanks

Great tip - bought immediately :thanks
And now arrived and fitted. The front ones will go on but just need to fettle a little to remove a piece due to 6.1 differences to the 6 and also to stop the door rubbing. The rear ones took 5 mins though, fit perfect and look great.

tempImageh7VnpG.png

And now arrived and fitted. The front ones will go on but just need to fettle a little to remove a piece due to 6.1 differences to the 6 and also to stop the door rubbing. The rear ones took 5 mins though, fit perfect and look great.

View attachment 96845
Might be worth another check to 100% ensure that the fronts don't rub the underside of the door, as they open & close. Plenty of suggestions on here / T6 forum that they can lead to paint rubbing off the underside of the door and eventually rusting.

Might be worth another check to 100% ensure that the fronts don't rub the underside of the door, as they open & close. Plenty of suggestions on here / T6 forum that they can lead to paint rubbing off the underside of the door and eventually rusting.
Yeah - cheers. Seen the posts on the T6 forum. Some people have removed the plastic there (which looks naff) and others have just sliced a sliver off with a stanley knife (better). I'll do and put some selotatpe on top to watch for wear. Other advice is to have a second screw to keep in place. Needs an 8mm trim on the back though so will shape that later and give it a go. Should all be fine with a little fettling.

Yeah - cheers. Seen the posts on the T6 forum. Some people have removed the plastic there (which looks naff) and others have just sliced a sliver off with a stanley knife (better). I'll do and put some selotatpe on top to watch for wear. Other advice is to have a second screw to keep in place. Needs an 8mm trim on the back though so will shape that later and give it a go. Should all be fine with a little fettling.
My fronts are sat on the shelf, so feel free to share some pics of your mods as I'd be interested to see if I could be brave enough to install mine!

Ok - fitted and sorted fronts as well. The instructions are not specific at all on where the "8mm" needs to come off so I basically cut to shape and made the right size until it fit without any tension. Passed the tape test with no rubbing, but will keep an eye on it anyway. No need for clips nor extra screws. Yet. Lots of pics to use and copy the shape. Don't forget to pop a couple of drain holes in which were forgotten in design. Also - no need for any fancy tools - a stanley knife worked fine for all trimming.

tempImagewZ6Gcw.png

tempImagewguFmO.png

tempImageSFJR79.png

tempImageCDbUgm.png

tempImagezU2yEf.png

tempImageXOSw2N.png

tempImageZyRpyE.png

tempImageuXKFlF.png

tempImageHZSBzz.png

Last edited:
Ok - fitted and sorted fronts as well. The instructions are not specific at all on where the "8mm" needs to come off so I basically cut to shape and made the right size until it fit without any tension. Passed the tape test with no rubbing, but will keep an eye on it anyway. No need for clips nor extra screws. Yet. Lots of pics to use and copy the shape. Don't forget to pop a couple of drain holes in which were forgotten in design.

View attachment 96854

View attachment 96855

View attachment 96856

View attachment 96857

View attachment 96858

View attachment 96859

View attachment 96860

View attachment 96861

View attachment 96862
Brilliant - thanks so much for taking the time to document.

Hi - I just fitted some after-market mudflaps to my T6.1 and I had to cut even more away, including some door clearance on the driver's side. So there must be further changes to this model. See pics. I had to pare a little more off than the shown amounts with a Stanley type knife. The passenger's side fitted ok, but I pared off a little more plastic to give more door clearance as it was too close for my likening. S8220031.JPGS8220036.JPGS8220035.JPGS8220029.JPGS8220039.JPGS8220030.JPGThanks for this thread, it really helped me get started. Cliff

Never did fit my front ones. Too paranoid for the front doors. Happy with just rears. Fronts sat in the garage along with the other redundant bits like the child safety net; the door bin: the fridge basket etc etc :thumb

Nothing comes close to the factory fit ones; should be top of everyone’s options list.

But does quality really matter for mudguards? what about the cost? The after-market ones would be about 20GBP a set. How much would the VW parts be?

Oh sorry I just looked at the previous poster's pics again. and see I misunderstood the cut-out shape - actually looks about the same as what I ended up with !

Oh sorry I just looked at the previous poster's pics again. and see I misunderstood the cut-out shape - actually looks about the same as what I ended up with !
Don’t forget to pop in a couple of drain holes else you will get water collecting in the cavity.

Thanks - Yes, I did add drain holes. But then I thought, water in a plastic cavity is not going to rust anyway! Cheers Cliff

Thanks - Yes, I did add drain holes. But then I thought, water in a plastic cavity is not going to rust anyway! Cheers Cliff
Not about the plastic, it‘s about having water sitting for a long period of time where the mudguard meets the bodywork.

Yeah, I agree not worth that risk. It may just slop out when driving below the bodywork level, but why risk it. Cheers Cliff