Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Do touchscreens lose their touch?

If problem not covered by warranty but you elect for the work to be done then charge void.
Can you verify this there are loads who pay for the diagnosis, then the additional amount to change parts !

to be clear ; the diagnosis charge is not void / refunded the dealer’s simply trouser the money and charge the exorbitant repair fee.

Last edited:
Can you verify this there are loads who pay for the diagnosis, then the additional amount to change parts !
Only with my Dealership and other dealerships for other vehicles I've owned..
I mean , why would any business offer to diagnose a problem for free? They want the business.
Otherwise it would be very easy to go to a dealership get the problem diagnosed and then go to an independent or DIY armed with that information to get it fixed.

Alternatively you could just go to a Dealer - ask them to change the radio at £ x,000 when the problem might be something else and fixed simply.

With Warranty, a problem has to be proven and if it is to be repaired/replaced under warranty then the diagnostic charge is part of the warrant cost to VW or whoever.

Nada. Left and right side unresponsive after reset.

Ok will see what vw say.

I am not paying them £140 though to turn it on and say ‘yep, it’s broken’ though!
My view is that the diagnostic charge/warranty acceptance process is garage specific charge.

Best to identify what the particular dealer will do/charge to verify the unit is covered under the vehicle warranty (3 or 5 years extended) or the All In Plan.

In my case they claimed it was a required software update (£50 thanks very much) but then a very embarrassed “Oh” when I showed the service manager the exact same problems after the software update and claimed “it’s fixed” that I demonstrated when vehicle received by them.
Unit replacement agreed under All in Plan without any further discussion and software in new unit matched update version on old.

You miss the point
I don’t mean why they charge , I mean why they charge diagnostic fee and not give that back if you proceed with the suggested repair .

the diagnosis fee is a fee regardless of repair charge

You miss the point
I don’t mean why they charge , I mean why they charge diagnostic fee and not give that back if you proceed with the suggested repair .

the diagnosis fee is a fee regardless of repair charge
Because I never paid the Diagnostic Fee, it wasn't Invoiced. I just received the Invoice for the repair that was reasonable for the repair with no mention of the Diagnostic Charge. Now they might have uprated other charges , parts/labour to cover it. I have no way to confirm that. I was happy with the final bill.

Because I never paid the Diagnostic Fee, it wasn't Invoiced. I just received the Invoice for the repair that was reasonable for the repair with no mention of the Diagnostic Charge. Now they might have uprated other charges , parts/labour to cover it. I have no way to confirm that. I was happy with the final bill.
But you defend a fee that you’ve never paid !
despite saying other should ?

we’ve had this convo before, you know the score & clearly are winding it up ?

True I never paid the fee because the garage carried out the Diagnostic, the problem was identified. I agreed to the repair and paid the repair invoice which did not include the Diagnostic fee.
If I had decided to get the repair done elsewhere then I would have been invoiced for the Diagnostic.
I don't see why that is so difficult to understand.

In respect of VW, at 1 Yr old I had a problem with the Control Panel in that you dialled up a menu item pressed the button to select that function but the menu item above was selected instead. I was told there would be a Diagnostic charge. The fault was confirmed, the Control Panel replaced and no Diagnostic charge invoiced as it was a confirmed Warranty fault/replacement.
That's why it is useful to:
A. Read the Handbook to understand how things are supposed to work
B. Have an OBD reader to confirm a fault .

True I never paid the fee because the garage carried out the Diagnostic, the problem was identified. I agreed to the repair and paid the repair invoice which did not include the Diagnostic fee.
If I had decided to get the repair done elsewhere then I would have been invoiced for the Diagnostic.
I don't see why that is so difficult to understand.
As you are aware, Garages (VW ) are charging people to look into the issue (diagnosing) The fee is a flat fee regardless and is a separate fee to the remedial work charges. VW will insit on the fee even if the probeoem is obvious to a blind man!

I understand your point as it is presented,
but you know from threads on this forum that people have been charged for diagnostics,
not reimbursed the diagnostic fee &
then have been presented additional fees for parts and Labour ,
you have commented in a particular thread about that very subject In the past.

As you are aware, Garages (VW ) are charging people to look into the issue (diagnosing) The fee is a flat fee regardless and is a separate fee to the remedial work charges. VW will insit on the fee even if the probeoem is obvious to a blind man!

I understand your point as it is presented,
but you know from threads on this forum that people have been charged for diagnostics,
not reimbursed the diagnostic fee &
then have been presented additional fees for parts and Labour ,
you have commented in a particular thread about that very subject In the past.
All I can say then I must be lucky with the various Dealerships I've used in the past. The Diagnostic fee has been mentioned when booking in the vehicle but not invoiced on the repair invoice so I've never been reimbursed because I've never been charged. Maybe they charged more for labour.
In my previous post regarding the Control Panel I'm sure I would have been charged if they were unable to replicate the fault.

All I can say then I must be lucky with the various Dealerships I've used in the past. The Diagnostic fee has been mentioned when booking in the vehicle but not invoiced on the repair invoice so I've never been reimbursed because I've never been charged. Maybe they charged more for labour.
In my previous post regarding the Control Panel I'm sure I would have been charged if they were unable to replicate the fault.
I too may be lucky but I tend to make my own luck by gathering as much evidence as I can (photos) before taking in and my usual tactic is to speak with service manager/assistant or if lucky technician to discuss fault/demonstrate issue.

Apart from the £50 diagnostic/software update for my failed discovery media pro, I have not paid a diagnostic fee for
1)Failed DSG gearbox due to casing leak after 2 repairs( main VW warranty)
2)Intermittent tailgate soft close Failure ( main VW warranty
3) Electric sliding door centre roller wear and scuffing to rear wheel arch paint (Main VW warranty and dealer good will out of warranty
4)Rear EGR pipe (photos and advised of possible diagnostic fee but no charge or fee under All in Plan)
5)Discovery Media Pro replacement (All in Plan)

6 years and 55k miles still happy.

Also have you tried resetting the unit by holding in the power button?
…Works for me as well. Ten seconds of holding down the on/off button for a ‘light’ reset (ie all settings, presets etc remain). I’ve found it’s only necessary occasionally.
Hope this works for you

Back