Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Do you use your safe?

thehorse

thehorse

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Was thinking of speccing the safe, but on the hire Cali we had it didn't get used once - mainly because the wardrobe was full of clothes and there are plenty of other hiding places. It also didn't seem that secure.

So should I save myself the £94 and free some extra space in the wardrobe or will it come in handy if I'm leaving the Cali in remote spots?

VW calls it a safe , but i think otherwise...the extra lockable shelf at the bottem of the large wardrobe that is.
I don't have it and don't think i would spent my money on it .( the VW safe that is)
There are other solutions for putting things away in your Cali in a "safe" place ...
You can install a better safe( real metal box with lock ) under the driversseat (UK) bolted on the seat fixing points.
There are existing treads on this...

https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/safe.15230/
https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/diy-genuine-vw-lockable-safe-install.219/

Also useful
https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/fitting-a-lock-on-the-sliding-drawer.14541/

Last edited:
I find the safe useful
I keep my documents etc. to one side there
Ok not exactly a safe but still handy to have and all part of the Cali appeal

Alan

For us the wardrobe is going to be used for pillows, duvet etc and once set up for temporary stuff like coats so space not needed. Safe just might be so ticked the box.

Mike

We have things on hangers in the wardrobe, and our whine reserves in the bottom. But I mounted a safe on the sidewall, using the existing screws from the fridge. Works well.

IMG_4374.JPG

Reactions: DM
Just thinking for thin stuff - iPads, passports etc. could put them in the roof as it would need the ignition key to raise.

I have one but as I have put shelves in the wardrobe, and fill with those packing cubes mentioned in other posts, sois very difficult to get at, when filled up. I tend to put things I am unlikely to need in it.
I guess a skilled Cali robber would know where it is, and would have the right jimmy bar to break in quickly.
As you say there are plenty of other hiding places for flat documents etc, that i wont advertise

I have one but as I have put shelves in the wardrobe, and fill with those packing cubes mentioned in other posts, sois very difficult to get at, when filled up. I tend to put things I am unlikely to need in it.
I guess a skilled Cali robber would know where it is, and would have the right jimmy bar to break in quickly.
As you say there are plenty of other hiding places for flat documents etc, that i wont advertise
I agree that anyone who knows the Cali would come equipped and would just force the safe. I would rather hide any valuables elsewhere and leave the safe open so as not to get forced (I have one but wouldn't bother ordering if buying new). I would also be wary of fitting my own secure box to the wardrobe or any of the interior. The damage that would result if they levered the box off would be massive.

I agree that anyone who knows the Cali would come equipped and would just force the safe
I can't see many crooks targeting Californias and their "hidden" safe, not many VW dealers know what is in a Cali and where. I find you can actually fit a lot in it and the fact it is under clothes, bags etc and in an awkward spot makes it difficult to get at. We like it and think it is a worthwhile option.

We don't use it but would spec it every time again. Because of the flat bottom in the wardrobe. Without the safe you have a step or let's call it a hole in the wardrobe.

Cali's are not the easiest vehicles to get into
Brilliant alarm system
Brilliant locking system (even if the owners get locked out some times)

Don't think I'm going off topic,hope not!

Alan

All the thieves are now reading this thread knowing it is worth targeting a Cali so they can look for goodies on our safes!

I keep my "on the spot fines" euro's in there and a few other bits and pieces.

Flat documents such as motoring stuff go elsewhere.

I was thinking of putting a false floor in the safe (don't know why really - just seemed a good idea at the time), but Alan's suggestion of mimicking a floor covering is a lot simpler and a better idea.

We have this safe... and do not use it. Is it possible to remove the lid, without damaging?

We have this safe... and do not use it. Is it possible to remove the lid, without damaging?
You can get the safe out completely. I think by drilling out the rivets on both sides (correct me if I am wrong, I have none).

You can get the safe out completely. I think by drilling out the rivets on both sides (correct me if I am wrong, I have none).

True. I just build one in yesterday. Three rivets on each side to be drilled, and out it goes. 5 min job :)

But from what I read – it could be a good place to store back-up toilet paper that seems to be stocked and in high value now because of the Covid-19.

Cali's are not the easiest vehicles to get into
Sadly they are just as easy as any other when a hammer is used . As we found to our cost last year. Fortunately it was an opportunistic smash and grab and they didn’t get anything of value. But they could have done so at least the safe can be a further deterrent. We use ours religiously now.

If I recall you need to remove the whole safe before you can get access to the rod that forms the hinge, so it makes more sense just to take the whole thing out.
Just had a look .......
You might be able to remove the spring clips on the ends of the rod and slide it out.

Last edited:
Sadly they are just as easy as any other when a hammer is used . As we found to our cost last year. Fortunately it was an opportunistic smash and grab and they didn’t get anything of value. But they could have done so at least the safe can be a further deterrent. We use ours religiously now.
DM, sorry to hear that. If you don't mind me asking, was this at a parking lot or street parking?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Having owned a Cali with a "Safe" I would like to add two comments:

1. In the time we owed that van I never did find a use for the safe.
2. IMO the term "safe" is a misnomer. It has about the same degree of security as the average changing room locker.

Having owned a Cali with a "Safe" I would like to add two comments:

1. In the time we owed that van I never did find a use for the safe.
2. IMO the term "safe" is a misnomer. It has about the same degree of security as the average changing room locker.
The trouble with the “safe” is that if someone does break into your van and has the time to rummage, a locked cabinet in the wardrobe is an invitation to look inside. And if that means trashing the wardrobe so be it.
I was told a story (might not be true).... someone left their car in a dodgy area with a note on the dash saying “no valuables left in car”. They returned to find the side window smashed and an footnote to their note saying “you’re right!”.