Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Retro fitting a safe to Cali Ocean

Vincent Mercer

Vincent Mercer

VIP Member
I now this has been dealt with in the distant past... but the thread links seems to fail. Has anyone recent experience of retro fitting a third party safe into the clothes locker of a Cali Ocean? Just bought a Yale digital safe from Aldi!! It fits well but I'm anxious about drilling to fit it.... causing any damage or not getting a secure fixings... any suggestions?

i fitted the genuine one easy holes already there just 4 rivets

Thanks... I presume the holes are in the side wall of the locker next to the fridge? or are they in the floor of the compartment.? I guess the chances of the existing holes (I only have 3 in the side wall!) lining up with the pre drilled holes in my third party safe is pretty remote.... I'll check. it out.
Thanks again.

Yes the holes are in the side wall that match up with the safe lid

The vw 'safe' is more like a locked door.

I have thought about the same, but think that if you install a safe, then a crim can do some serious damage trying to access/remove.

Unless you are bolting through the chassis or metal bodywork, any safe can be pulled away from the cupboard with relative ease, leaving the thief with a handy box to carry all your valuables back and leaving you with no stuff and a trashed cupboard.

The lockable oem metal flap that fits across a recess at the bottom of the cupboard isn’t a safe by any means.

Something like this that fits under the driver’s seat is probably the nearest you’ll get.

Unless you are bolting through the chassis or metal bodywork, any safe can be pulled away from the cupboard with relative ease, leaving the thief with a handy box to carry all your valuables back and leaving you with no stuff and a trashed cupboard.

The lockable oem metal flap that fits across a recess at the bottom of the cupboard isn’t a safe by any means.

Something like this that fits under the driver’s seat is probably the nearest you’ll get.

Yes I had one of these in my last VW T5 camper van... under the passenger seat and was really easy to use for access....
Vince

A thief is less likely to find it in the wardrobe with clothes on it than under a drivers seat in clear view
unless he reads the forum

A thief is less likely to find it in the wardrobe with clothes on it than under a drivers seat in clear view
Agree, and it's a pain in the ass to get into with a key never mind a crowbar. It works for me.

IMHO nothing's fool-proof. For me, it's all about delay and making life more difficult for the fools.

Back