Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Does any one know why ?

Carryoncamper

Carryoncamper

Vehicle
Looking to buy
Does any one know why there is not a option to get a LWB California ?

The extra space would be good to have and there would be enough room for the passenger seat
in the UK model to turn around with a bit of leg room ?

Becose the Cali is based on the Caravelle ....

A few million euros investment in Design and tooling by VW?

The extra space would be good to have and there would be enough room for the passenger seat
The SWB is a neat/together package, the LWB looks odd/stretched. The converters do offer them but their rarity in the second hand market tells a tale.

Marco Polo is longer

Unless you are a family of Orangutans with uber long arms then ergonomically, the space taken up around the California dinner table would have to remain broadly similar to at present. Therefore the only real advantage to a LWB version would seem to be a bigger boot. Since the SWB Cali is more than big enough to take all of the clobber that most owners are ever likely to want to take with them, I really don't see any advantage.

On the other hand a LWB version would be more difficult park in conjested areas.

You can buy a LWB Caravelle with a bed pack. No roof problems either.

Last edited:
The extra length would be useful for:
Being able to turn the passenger seat & have some leg room
Access the undersink cupboard whilst the bed is made up.
Perhaps make up a bed whilst 5th seat is in position
Give extra leg room for passengers when using 5th seat.

I can see that those that travel 2 up wouldn't need the space, but for 5 in the van that extra foot could make a huge difference. What would really be good is the extra length & a lightweight double bench instead of the 5th seat to make it a proper six seater.

Bit more room for the loo would be useful.

Anyway, there’s not even an option to get a SWB California at the moment! :D

I knew this thread would end up with a toilet ! :Nailbiting

Had a LWB Bilbos Celex, extra space useful but a pain to park etc.

Had a LWB Bilbos Celex, extra space useful but a pain to park etc.
Mrs always pestering me to get one of those, or a Joker. (She always thinks that whatever we haven’t got is better than what we have got. :confused:)

Be interesting what your thoughts are having owned both.

Anyway, just got back from Costco with a huge garden bench in the back of our Cali. Certainly wouldn’t have fitted in a Joker!

Last edited:
I go round in circles.

LWB - only another few inches .... but it does mean one less parking space on the drive and just a little bit extra hassle as a daily drive.

High top, as in Joker. All that lovely space, built in shower....... but it does mean all those lovely places that I got to because I was under 2m is now sacrificed.

Well, as I have now foregone the low height advantage and sacrificed a parking space on my drive why not go for something a little bigger, like a columbus, or globe car ......

Repeat 6 times and I'm salivating at a winnebago before common sense intervenes :shocked

High top, as in Joker. All that lovely space, built in shower....... but it does mean all those lovely places that I got to because I was under 2m is now sacrificed.
There is an elevating roof version, maybe it’s a different name?

http://westfalia-mobil.com/en/modelle/club-joker-city/club-joker-city.php

Looks great - but £65-75000 depending on options for a 180 DSG (or more)

CJC_Tag.jpg

CJC_Nacht.jpg

2017_clubjoker_city__100.jpg

jokerbed.jpg

2017_clubjoker_city__301.jpg

Loo is great but its even got a shower!

2017_clubjoker_city__501.jpg

Last edited:
Sorry but in the flesh I was disappointed with the Joker. I think the Kepler will be much improved but I like the California as it suits my lifestyle better. Horses for courses.

Mrs always pestering me to get one of those, or a Joker. (She always thinks that whatever we haven’t got is better than what we have got. :confused:)

Be interesting what your thoughts are having owned both.

Anyway, just got back from Costco with a huge garden bench in the back of our Cali. Certainly wouldn’t have fitted in a Joker!
Nice job by Bilbos but the van underpinnings were there to see, the California is a way better drive and it’s built as a camper.

Sorry but in the flesh I was disappointed with the Joker. I think the Kepler will be much improved but I like the California as it suits my lifestyle better. Horses for courses.

Where do you store everything and what happens when you have to shift something large?

The flexibility of a Cali is lost. It's just a small camper rather than a camper van that can double up as a large estate car and a lot more.

Is that really the toilet opposite the kitchen unit?

Sorry not for me. The day I can’t get to the campsite toilet/toilet tent then I’ll have either given up the Campervan or not be in the here & now.;)

[

2017_clubjoker_city__100.jpg

Same problem as many even bigger vans : no room for your legs at the dinner table, everytime you need something from the kitchen you have to stand up and go in the back.. not so easy for the guy sitting at the passenger seat (uk) or driver seat because of the low roof .hmm beautifull camper but no match for the cali.

Is that really the toilet opposite the kitchen unit?

Sorry not for me. The day I can’t get to the campsite toilet/toilet tent then I’ll have either given up the Campervan or not be in the here & now.;)

I too have made statements like that before it actually happened. If I gave up because of problems like that I wouldn't have a life any more!