Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Does anyone know if...................?

Borris

Borris

Super Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
Does anyone know if a T6 Ocean pop top canvas will fit a T6 Beach? I know that they have different features but are the size and fit the same?

Does anyone know if a T6 Ocean pop top canvas will fit a T6 Beach? I know that they have different features but are the size and fit the same?
I read somewhere that the heights front and rear are different especially at the rear.

I read somewhere that the heights front and rear are different especially at the rear.
Thanks WG, that was my understanding as well. However, my dealer seems to think otherwise!

Yes, they are different sizes and specific to the model. Basically a manual and electric canvas is available as far as I am aware.

The reason that i know they are different is that
when buying my Calicap he told me that there are a few
different sizes and if you look for a Calicap today you will see
that the Beach and Ocean are listed separately, its not a one size fits all because
the bellows are different sizes.

If you give me your VIN number, I could look it up and compare with a T6 Ocean.

If you give me your VIN number, I could look it up and compare with a T6 Ocean.
Thanks TripleBee,
I'm afraid I can't. The van hasn't been built yet or for that matter even confirmed. Thanks for the offer though.

This question came about after I enquired if the dark blue canvas was available on the Beach. I thought it would be rather fun as the van we've ordered is Candy White over Starlight Blue. It seems that from time to time VW do make coloured canvas available on Beach models. Alas not at the moment.

The dealer suggested retro fitting a blue Ocean canvas, hence my question. I was and still am pretty certain that it isn't possible. That seems to have been confirmed.

I have asked him to find out if there is a VW part number for a blue Beach canvas and if so how much fitted. If I went down this road, it would cost me, but I could offset that expense by selling the standard grey one.

Actually this has raised one of my biggest gripes about VW's Cali sales policy. They appear to see the two models as:
1. Ocean = prestige, top of the range so stuff it full of goodies.
2. Beach = Stripped out basic camper van, therefore make Beach owners pay more for the same options and deny them others altogether. The blue canvas is good example.

The Ocean and the Beach are completely different vehicles which appeal to different customer bases. However I believe that both models should start with the same standard base spec and Beach owners shouldn't be fleeced on the options front just because they wish to use their vehicle in a different way.

I believe that this is wrong.

I can understand what you are saying, but try to look at it like this: You buy whatever car in the lowest version. If you want to raise that car to the top specs, you will pay a whole lot more than the highest version of the same car. They make different stages of "luxury", and sell those versions in masses, so the cost to produce those versions is lower than someone taking the "base" vehicle and then add all the options available.

It is all about cost efficiency on the production line.
The "good" thing about VW is that you can virtually personalize your car. Other brands offer you 2 or 3 different versions with near to no extra options to choose from. So if you want that car with this and that option, you just can't get it.
At VW, Audi, BMW, Mercedes, ... you have too much options to choose from, so they put them in packages in the different versions of the same model, almost forcing you to buy the more expensive one, so speccing it more up, costs you just a "little" more than speccing up the very base version of the model.

Still not that nice, but in a way understandable for their cost efficiency.

That said, I still understand what you mean.

I think they see their 3 versions of the California as:
Beach: simple, down to earth, good for surfers needing a lot of space inside
Coast: I want more than a tent, I want to cook in it and get some sleep
Ocean: Glamping

Or something like that...

I can understand what you are saying, but try to look at it like this: You buy whatever car in the lowest version. If you want to raise that car to the top specs, you will pay a whole lot more than the highest version of the same car. They make different stages of "luxury", and sell those versions in masses, so the cost to produce those versions is lower than someone taking the "base" vehicle and then add all the options available.

The "good" thing about VW is that you can virtually personalize your car. Other brands offer you 2 or 3 different versions with near to no extra options to choose from. So if you want that car with this and that option, you just can't get it.
At VW, Audi, BMW, Mercedes, ... you have too much options to choose from, so they put them in packages in the different versions of the same model, almost forcing you to buy the more expensive one, so speccing it more up, costs you just a "little" more than speccing up the very base version of the model.

There is certainly no glamping going on with that uncomfort mattress. They should call it the rack

I have only ever slept downstairs once in 9 years and with hundreds of nights slept in the Cali, somewhere off the M4 in a Waitrose car park. Too much fuss moving stuff about and no fresh air.

I changed the upper mattress on a whim a few years ago at one of the meets, it’s now two separate mattresses made by, oh I forget but the guy that had the link up with the club.

Well it doesn't seem to matter what the customers think as I doubt if VW will change their policy any time soon. My dealer has told me that most if his Beach customers are looking for well specced examples. He should know as that dealership is one of the highest UK sellers.

Last edited:
If you spec a Beach up to the same level as the Ocean, it would actually cost you more. Therefore, i really think the Beach is the prestige model.:D

If you spec a Beach up to the same level as the Ocean, it would actually cost you more. Therefore, i really think the Beach is the prestige model.:D

Love a late night joke, with a good Malt Whisky.....

It certainly does!!!

Thanks TripleBee,
I'm afraid I can't. The van hasn't been built yet or for that matter even confirmed. Thanks for the offer though.

This question came about after I enquired if the dark blue canvas was available on the Beach. I thought it would be rather fun as the van we've ordered is Candy White over Starlight Blue. It seems that from time to time VW do make coloured canvas available on Beach models. Alas not at the moment.

The dealer suggested retro fitting a blue Ocean canvas, hence my question. I was and still am pretty certain that it isn't possible. That seems to have been confirmed.

I have asked him to find out if there is a VW part number for a blue Beach canvas and if so how much fitted. If I went down this road, it would cost me, but I could offset that expense by selling the standard grey one.

Actually this has raised one of my biggest gripes about VW's Cali sales policy. They appear to see the two models as:
1. Ocean = prestige, top of the range so stuff it full of goodies.
2. Beach = Stripped out basic camper van, therefore make Beach owners pay more for the same options and deny them others altogether. The blue canvas is good example.

The Ocean and the Beach are completely different vehicles which appeal to different customer bases. However I believe that both models should start with the same standard base spec and Beach owners shouldn't be fleeced on the options front just because they wish to use their vehicle in a different way.

I believe that this is wrong.

Rainbow Screens, choose whatever colour you want, collected ours last weekend and they take around 3 mins to fit the top, and around 1-2 mins to fit the bottom, does take 2 people though as they’ll drag on the floor otherwise.

Does seem daft, especially as a lot of people would seem to like a variant of the Coast where you get the Ocean type vehicle with a manual roof to cut costs and complexity.

I've not looked but does the Coast come with fancy roof canvas in Europe?

Still slightly miffed that I missed the front opening canvas by a month or so on my Beach and think I might change it one day

Rainbow Screens, choose whatever colour you want, collected ours last weekend and they take around 3 mins to fit the top, and around 1-2 mins to fit the bottom, does take 2 people though as they’ll drag on the floor otherwise.
This is the roof canvas that you are talking about? If so how much did they charge you, if you don't mind me asking?

Does seem daft, especially as a lot of people would seem to like a variant of the Coast where you get the Ocean type vehicle with a manual roof to cut costs and complexity.

I've not looked but does the Coast come with fancy roof canvas in Europe?

Still slightly miffed that I missed the front opening canvas by a month or so on my Beach and think I might change it one day
As far as I'm aware the front opening bit isn't available on the Beach just the Ocean.

As far as I'm aware the front opening bit isn't available on the Beach just the Ocean.

Well that search took longer than it should have :)
Finally found a thread showing a Beach with both the front opening and a fancy canvas colour. Not sure if this means they have now consolidated the bellows to Ocean and Beach use the same or whether there are still two types?

*edit* reading to the end of that thread suggests coloured bellows are no longer available but might be interesting to send the dealer that pic as it has clearly happened at some point and presumably they can look that vehicle up to get part numbers.

Well that search took longer than it should have :)
Finally found a thread showing a Beach with both the front opening and a fancy canvas colour. Not sure if this means they have now consolidated the bellows to Ocean and Beach use the same or whether there are still two types?

*edit* reading to the end of that thread suggests coloured bellows are no longer available but might be interesting to send the dealer that pic as it has clearly happened at some point and presumably they can look that vehicle up to get part numbers.
Yes this is very confusing. My dealer has looked into it with VW and they say, no can do and yet clearly they can when it suits them.

This is the roof canvas that you are talking about? If so how much did they charge you, if you don't mind me asking?

This is for a thermal waterproof cover that goes around the pop top, and a cover that goes over the windscreen and front side windows. For the top and bottom (pop top and windscreen/side windows) was around £550 and had a lead time of 6 weeks. We live in MK around the corner where they're made so we drove down and had them measure it up.

Top on its own was around £350 with a peek a boo.

I can echo the recommendation for a Rainbow Screens pop too cover and the screen cover - custom made to the exact measurements of your pop top and a perfect fit. Not difficult to put on but easier with two. We took ours to them in Milton Keynes and they took the exact measurements themselves. Nice people too!

Back