Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Does anyone know the flow rate of the standard water pump?

H

haydnw2

VIP Member
Vehicle
Cali now sold
As per the thread title, does anyone know the flow rate of the water pump which serves the kitchen sink? I haven't looked at my unit, but photos on here don't show anything printed on it, and I can't find anything definitive with the 'search' function. This thread references a replacement that seems to run at 20l/min but the highest-flow Whale I can find is 16l/min and most on the market seem lower. That would suggest that 20l/min is quite a powerful outlier. I could fill the tank and measure output at the sink, but it's currently in 'drained for winter' mode. Thanks!

If your ‘about’ info is up to date then @WelshGas or @Loz will have all the info you need. Probably others as well so I hope I haven’t offended anyone by missing them out...

When i renewed mine i got a 10 litre per min Comet one,
it works fine.

Im offended.

I can't 'like' and 'thanks' a post, but thanks! I'm looking to install an Elgena hot water boiler, and a chap in a German forum stated that the flow from his standard pump was a bit weak when drawing through the boiler. So I'm wondering if I can increase the flow rate a bit versus the standard pump.

In this case, it is not the flow which is the problem but the available pressure, because the boiler adds pressure drop. Unfortunately this information is rarely available for these small pumps.
However, a pump sold for a higher flow rate could have more pressure available.

I can't 'like' and 'thanks' a post, but thanks! I'm looking to install an Elgena hot water boiler, and a chap in a German forum stated that the flow from his standard pump was a bit weak when drawing through the boiler. So I'm wondering if I can increase the flow rate a bit versus the standard pump.
I don’t know the exact flow rate of the VW supplied pump, but it is certainly not greater than 10L/ min. But it has to work against a resistance, pipe and tap so tap output is probably less.
Also remember a higher flow pump will use more amps so the fuse may blow more frequently as it is only 5 amps, and I’m not sure if you would be using the existing VW tap but it’s built in microswitch might not like a higher current so you may have to change the tap or better still use the tap to power a relay which would power the pump via a higher amp capable circuit.

Hope this helps, here is the Comet VIP Plus Datasheet so you could always upgrade your pump to this version.
Flow max. 20 l/min
Pressure max. 1,1 bar / 16 psi
Current max. 3,8 A but I would always fit a relay to take the load off the tap microswitch :)

Attachments

• Datenblatt_VIP-PLUS_1430.12.00 (1).pdf
    319.3 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
Has anyone replaced their dead VW pump with the Whale high flow model. Certainly tempting (especially for the shower in the boot) but I wouldn’t want to blow any pipes.

Any experience with the high flow gratefully received!

Tom

Back