Domestic Gas Supply costs.

WelshGas

WelshGas

Retired after 42 yrs and enjoying Life.
Super Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180 4Motion
Having been on a 2 yr fixed price tariff until 2023 I moved to a variable tariff until now. The 1 yr Fixed price tariff offered was £24/yr more than the variable at present and the experts think prices will rise again in January before stabilising and possibly drop end of 2025.
But what is interesting when comparing the two tariffs is the following:
The gas charge is made up of a Daily Standing Charge for the supply and a charge for each KwH of gas.
Comparing the two the 1yr Fixed has a Lower Standing Charge and a Higher price / KwH for the gas.

The psychology behind this difference apparently is that those on the Variable Tariff , who cannot afford to Fix, because of increased cost, are more likely to cut back on gas usage to economise but will continue to pay a higher Standing Charge.
Those who can afford to Fix their tariff are more likely to just use the gas and not economise or even use more hence they pay a higher KwH cost but lower Standing Charge.
So as I’m away from home for 6 weeks we will make a significant saving on minimising the Standing Charge and not using the more expensive gas for that period compared to the same on the Variable Tariff.

Interesting, I’m with octopus.
And have no idea whether to fix or stay on Flexible Octopus.
Spend £1200 on Leccy. £675 on gas.
2 people in 4bed house.
And I spend £365 (about 3 tonne) on Maple logs for the Hepa stove, 12kW.

I fixed a few months back when the predictions were prices were going up. Scottish Power Green Flexi May 2026 - it’s no longer available.
We are paying a bit more for electricity and gas compared with Standard Variable but the standing charges are 69.6p a day compared with 86.81 on SVT.
We are away in van for a couple of months so will save a massive £10.32 on standing charges while we are away.
But we will back for the dead of winter and run up a big gas bill, can’t avoid it.

CF490524-C737-453A-BA0A-83D44DEB1912.png0FDE9EBB-4E11-4163-8872-0297A85E0571.png

Interesting, I’m with octopus.
And have no idea whether to fix or stay on Flexible Octopus.
Spend £1200 on Leccy. £675 on gas.
2 people in 4bed house.
And I spend £365 (about 3 tonne) on Maple logs for the Hepa stove, 12kW.
I’m with Octopus too.
On a one year fixed lower than the cap, and most importantly Octopus do not charge exit charges so if a better deal comes along in the new year I will switch.