Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Home Electricity & Costs - what are you doing?

Any other recommendations for stove top fans? I bought a cheap ish one off Amazon, it looks the part and spins like crazy but doesn’t seem to actually blow any air :(
Oh Lordy, I can’t help you yet…..I’ve just spent all morning looking at endless reviews ……….. for me the jury is still out :eek: I read an article just now the said the new generation of clean burn stoves are much more efficient at emitting the heat in to the room that a fan might not really make much difference!

Something that lurks in the back of my mind is ‘Emperors new clothes’

’Confused of Fife’ Haha

Any other recommendations for stove top fans? I bought a cheap ish one off Amazon, it looks the part and spins like crazy but doesn’t seem to actually blow any air :(
They don't generate much of a draught if you hold you hand near them, probably because the air is so warm you can't feel it. But they do have a big effect in moving air into the room rather than just allowing it upwards into the fireplace recess.

my cheapo Amazon one does, just tried it with a strip of paper, quite impressive.

This is quite interesting as it uses the same type of heater the Cali has.
Worth watching to the end for the cost analysis.

Thanks, Subcribed to his channel.

Reminds me of the time a few years ago in my job. As pilots we had to test the fuel (Avtur) for water etc before first flight of the day……… it’s quite amazing how one one of the pilots ’discovered’ that to do the job properly necessitated sampling between 5 and ten litres of fuel. This fuel could not be returned to the aircraft. That same pilot also happened to have oil fired central heating …….. ;) (oh it wasn’t me, we had gas heating).

Enjoyed that. Given that my Cali heater almost never needs to be on a setting above 1, I bet his one third litre used in the test would last all night in the van. No doubt that's why it never shows a drop on the fuel gauge.

He's a bit of a dude.

Reminds me of the time a few years ago in my job. As pilots we had to test the fuel (Avtur) for water etc before first flight of the day……… it’s quite amazing how one one of the pilots ’discovered’ that to do the job properly necessitated sampling between 5 and ten litres of fuel. This fuel could not be returned to the aircraft. That same pilot also happened to have oil fired central heating …….. ;) (oh it wasn’t me, we had gas heating).
I’ve sat in many a chopper on helidecks in the North Sea watching pilots do that. Never could work out if it was something I wanted to see or not ?

Very interesting. I'm not sure a 20-fold increase is on the cards in the foreseeable future, at the moment a major "headwind" (ha ha) seems to be the consenting process which can take years.

Still, UK Renewables says that "The total pipeline of UK wind projects which are either operational, under construction, consented, in the planning system or at an early stage of development now extends to 129GW. (93.3GW offshore and 36GW onshore)." That's versus about 25GW operational right now, so that would be a four-fold increase which would take wind power alone to the same scale as the whole of the UK's current generating capacity from all technologies - although that total will have to rise with the switch to electricity for home heating and EVs: total needs are estimated to be about 200GW by 2040.

To me, it highlights how, while a bunch of people have been bleating on about how pointlessly impracticable it would be to switch to wind power for the bulk of our electricity needs, the wind energy industry has just quietly got on with doing it.
Have to agree about the consenting process being slow, but it‘s important to have the opportunity to involve those affected.
Our village is directly in the path of the new Rampion 2 (just off Sussex coast) cable route from the beach to where it connects to the grid (in the middle of the South Downs National Park).
It’s very difficult to resist turning into a NIMBY!

Have to agree about the consenting process being slow, but it‘s important to have the opportunity to involve those affected.
Our village is directly in the path of the new Rampion 2 (just off Sussex coast) cable route from the beach to where it connects to the grid (in the middle of the South Downs National Park).
Once the cable is buried, disruption is minimal.

We also have the Tesla battery field near us for Rampion 1, to be honest you dont even know its there:

Newbuild developers cause far more damage to the environment when they cut down ancient oak woodland, just before they put in a planning application. Thakeham Homes are one of the worst for doing this locally.

The Rampion windfarm off Brighton has resulted in a reef which is protected from commercial fishing boats. So its not all bad.

We also have the Tesla battery field near us for Rampion 1, to be honest you dont even know its there:

Newbuild developers cause far more damage to the environment when they cut down ancient oak woodland, just before they put in a planning application. Thakeham Homes are one of the worst for doing this locally.
I‘m one of the few locals that have no objection. Apart from a couple of years of disruption the main concern here seems to be the irreparable damage the trenching will do to the farmland. The Rampion 1 cable route runs through the chalk downs and (apparently) is less affected by the excavation.
This and the Arundel By-pass are making for some interesting Parish Meetings!

They could put the Rampion cable through my back garden and it wouldn't"t bother me. We need that energy.

They could put the Rampion cable through my back garden and it wouldn't"t bother me. We need that energy
Allegedly… someone said that a local Duke had offered to buy one of the beach front houses on Kingston Gorse so that the cable could come ashore there rather than along at Climping! Not sure that would have gone down well!

At least they name the streets of soulless identiboxes after the trees they cut down.

If looking for a stove fan this might be worth a read.

Back