Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Door panel gap/ mains hook up cable?

A

andanotherthing

I was thinking you could use a mains hook up lead with socket outlets inside a Beach. But that would require being able to close and lock a door safely trapping the cable in the door jam. Has anyone tried this?

andanotherthing said:
I was thinking you could use a mains hook up lead with socket outlets inside a Beach. But that would require being able to close and lock a door safely trapping the cable in the door jam. Has anyone tried this?

We run it through the front windows, just create a tiny gap, it actually works quite well when we are running our small heater. A bit of fresh air is actually quite nice. It would be nice if we had the option sliding window on the sliding door because we could run it through there.

Obviously the windows have an anti trap feature but it is not too difficult to get them to sit with just enough gap for the hook up cable.

James

Not a great idea closing the door on a cable. Better to use wind deflectors on the front windows and leaving the window open enough to allow the lead in but the rain and people out.

Calikev said:
Not a great idea closing the door on a cable. Better to use wind deflectors on the front windows and leaving the window open enough to allow the lead in but the rain and people out.

Excellent advice kev. When using our tv we run our aerial lead through one of the front windows. The deflectors are worth having for this alone.
Running a lead through one of the other windows is a bad idea if its raining as the water gets everywhere.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

The other option would be to use something like the "air safe" hook on the tailgate and running the cable through that gap.

I do this when I want to run a battery refresher on the leisure batteries.

Rgds

Mark

Hi,
Can I ask what a battery refresher is when it's at home?
Is this different to hook up to trickle charge?
Thanks

i have seen this on many T5 conversions ... The plastic corner trims on the rear of the cali under the tail lights above the bumper .. there is a void behind them and people put the socket behind them and run the cable through tat way.. i'm not sure how they have the corner trims attached to be able to take them off ,but it's a good idea and will have a search about ...i'm not sure ,but bilbo may do it ..??????

beardie said:
Hi,
Can I ask what a battery refresher is when it's at home?
Is this different to hook up to trickle charge?
Thanks

My own words for a CTEK charger... Not a simple trickle charger, intelligent charger which can do a lot to recondition the leisure batteries, particularly deeply discharged batteries.

Can do constant current charging, over voltage reconditioning and a few other clever tricks.

Given the cost of the leisure batteries, definitely worth looking after them.

I use a MXS 7.0

Rgds
Mark

SimplyDubs said:
I use a MXS 7.0

Rgds
Mark
Hi Mark, "spooky" as I have just been researching the MXS 7.0......did you purchase the CTEK accessory lead that would let you tap into the always live rear accessory socket?

Chris

california180 said:
SimplyDubs said:
I use a MXS 7.0

Rgds
Mark
Hi Mark, "spooky" as I have just been researching the MXS 7.0......did you purchase the CTEK accessory lead that would let you tap into the always live rear accessory socket?

Chris

I did indeed Chris, but to be honest easy to knock one up for a few pennies.

Have to say the batteries perform much, much better if they've been on the CTEK every couple of months.

andanotherthing said:

Closing the door will eventually damage the cable. (Tried)

Have a look on the link how I did it, The wind deflactors allow the cable to pass out the window.

http://www.walktrot.com/ireland.htm

Keith

Italiahorse said:
andanotherthing said:

Closing the door will eventually damage the cable. (Tried)

Have a look on the link how I did it, The wind deflactors allow the cable to pass out the window.

http://www.walktrot.com/ireland.htm

Keith

Good info on your site there Keith, thanks. BTW You mention on your awning page difficulty in lining up van when parking alongside awning. I use orange string pegged out alongside wheels on drivers side of the van. Put front peg in line with centre of front wheel and rear peg next to rear wheel. When you drive back, just line up the wheels with the pegged out string and stop when front wheel centre is in line with front peg. Works well for me, albeit with a LHD T25 westy.

Cheers, j