Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

On hook up and off hook up (daft questions)

Thanks for replying.... Just seen on another post that its best to hook up every month to keep batteries topped up and some say that you can stay plugged in and that after the batteries are fully charged they go on to trickle charge. I'm lucky as actually have outside power so will probably do the monthly charge. Thanks again for your reply

Hi Nick... You beat me to it whilst I was typing my reply and I agree it's best to top the batteries up... Thanks

Hi all, I have a 68 reg Beach, I put it on hook up every month as suggested, sometimes for a 72hr stretch, but in all that time, I have never noticed the starter battery being charged. I use a plug in USB in the dash 12V connector which has a voltage reader. This normally shows 12,2V and has never raised when on hook up.
The leisure batteries have shown 14V when on hook up.
Due to the motor not being used much on hook up, I was going to get a Ctek charger and the 12V connector and plug it into the 3 pin socket in the back, when on hook up, so both the batteries will charge. as suggested by Welshgas.
I have a stop/stop motor. So is it worth paying the extra few quid for the CT5 stop start 3.8 amp or just ger a MXS5 charger?
Thanks

Hi all, I have a 68 reg Beach, I put it on hook up every month as suggested, sometimes for a 72hr stretch, but in all that time, I have never noticed the starter battery being charged. I use a plug in USB in the dash 12V connector which has a voltage reader. This normally shows 12,2V and has never raised when on hook up.
Due to the motor not being used much on hook up, I was going to get a Ctek charger and the 12V connector and plug it into the 3 pin socket in the back, when on hook up, so both the batteries will charge. as suggested by Welshgas.
I have a stop/stop motor. So is it worth paying the extra few quid for the CT5 stop start 3.8 amp or just ger a MXS5 charger?
Thanks
I just use the MX charger, but you could use either.
Mines used on a number of vehicles.

Thanks
Thanks
My T6 Beach also shows 12.2V at the 12V socket on the dash. If you have a multimeter you will find that the voltage at the battery will be higher than the reading from your USB tester. I initially thought that my battery was low due to the 12.2V reading from the dash.

My T6 Beach also shows 12.2V at the 12V socket on the dash. If you have a multimeter you will find that the voltage at the battery will be higher than the reading from your USB tester. I initially thought that my battery was low due to the 12.2V reading from the dash.
Thanks for that:thumb |I did think it was low. I'm pleased its not just mine. I will test the battery with my multimeter to see the difference.
I've ordered a CTEK MXS 5.0 12V Charger and Conditioner MULTI XS 5.0, thanks to @WelshGas, which I will use to charge starter battery, when on hook up.