Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

On hook up and off hook up (daft questions)

But with a bit of planning you can alternate between staying on a site with hookup, then moving on to a place without - if you want to go a bit freer/wilder.

Although it's true that an external 240V hook-up will re-charge the leisure batteries to their full 100% (the vehicle alternator will only take them to 80-90%), in practice we find that when touring we never need hook-up because even a short drive during the day gives us all the battery power we're going to need for the overnight stop.

The only reason we aim to find a 'decent' campsite every two or three days is to get a proper shower. (Wet wipes only get you so far... ;) )

If you find you're depleting a substantial amount of your leisure battery charge during an overnight stay, unless you're using some pretty heavy-duty contraptions in the van you may have reached the point where your batteries are knackered and will need replacing.

Thanks everyone for the advice.

I think the only electrical we plan to bring is a fridge (and phones). I will post this question on a fridge thread recently set up but essentially, with hook up, will a small standard home fridge work on 3 pronged wall plug? I presume yes. We have access to a small fridge so thinking of just taking this with us rather than buying a Waesco one (which most seem to rate highly but they are costly). Any thoughts.... is the benifit of the Waesco that it is more efficient and can be used with a cigarette lighter plug for when driving?

I think the only electrical we plan to bring is a fridge (and phones). I will post this question on a fridge thread recently set up but essentially, with hook up, will a small standard home fridge work on 3 pronged wall plug? I presume yes. We have access to a small fridge so thinking of just taking this with us rather than buying a Waesco one (which most seem to rate highly but they are costly). Any thoughts.... is the benifit of the Waesco that it is more efficient and can be used with a cigarette lighter plug for when driving?

We have 200 Watts of solar panels on our roof. Drinking a beer chilled to perfection by the warm rays of the sun is beyond price.

As a family of four, during the summer months, we can camp off grid indefinitely powering the Waeco fridge, internal lights, external lights and recharging iPhones and iPads.

Cold air remains in top loading fridges, it tumbles out of front loading fridges.

If you are *never* going to want to power your fridge off grid, it really won't matter.

Follow my blog: www.au-revoir.eu

We have 200 Watts of solar panels on our roof. Drinking a beer chilled to perfection by the warm rays of the sun is beyond price.

As a family of four, during the summer months, we can camp off grid indefinitely powering the Waeco fridge, internal lights, external lights and recharging iPhones and iPads.

Cold air remains in top loading fridges, it tumbles out of front loading fridges.

If you are *never* going to want to power your fridge off grid, it really won't matter.

I agree. Just wondering if you mean a compressor fridge (like a proper under counter) or a mini fridge? I think the former don't come in small enough sizes to make it practical. Also, you shouldn't really be moving a compressor fridge around. The waeco is designed for this.

Domestic mini fridges are not ideal. Not only do you loose all the cold air each time you open it, the way in which they work is not ideal. The basic way to understand this, is that they have a finite level of temperature change. i.e. the temperature is lowered by a finite number of degrees. So the hotter it is around the fridge, the warmer it is inside. If your camper is staying put in the campsite while you go and spend the day at the beach or pool or whatever, the inside of your car can reach very high temps.So the inside of the fridge will be warm. For beers its a shame, for milk it is no good. You also state that the domestic ones are cheaper. IMHO, the cheaper, the less able they are at cooling. Also most only have a lifespan of 1 or 2 years, so false economy.

As far as home comforts are concerned, we have our nespresso machine which works well on hookup. No kettle needed. Who says you can't have a decent cup of coffee when enjoying nature properly?

More or less spot on. Our 12 volt kettle takes 45 - 60 mins to boil 750ml of water, depending on initial water temperature. It draws up to 20 Amps, and our battery is 75Ah.

That’s insane.
Like Matt said, get yourself an Alpkit.
2 minutes your water is boiled, also good for cooking baked beans, rice and tinned curry ;)

That’s insane.
Like Matt said, get yourself an Alpkit.
2 minutes your water is boiled, also good for cooking baked beans, rice and tinned curry ;)

The whole point of the 12 Volt kettle was an off grid alternative to gas. However, the current draw is too great, and the risk of irreparable damage to the battery unacceptable. We haven't used the kettle since 20 November when I thought we had destroyed the leisure battery.

I won't rule out using it again, but I'd want a good flow of current from solar to battery or to have the engine running and recharging the battery at the same time.

In the Beach is there any indication when the hook-up is plugged in and working? Used mine at home recently and couldn't see any lights to show I had mains power.

Andy

Only way to tell is to plug something in unfortunately, unless you have a battery monitor and then you will see the voltage increase with the charger. I have a multisocket in the van with LED indicator on it, I just look for the light.

Most domestic fridges are noisy, need to be level, are extremely intolerant to being moved around, won't work whist you are driving, and have an interior design that doesn't really work for carying food on the move.

Apart from that I cant think of any reason not to use one:D

Most domestic fridges are noisy, need to be level, are extremely intolerant to being moved around, won't work whist you are driving, and have an interior design that doesn't really work for carying food on the move.

Apart from that I cant think of any reason not to use one:D

Thanks for the info everyone, very much appreciated. Think we will order a small Waesco to store milk and a couple of beers.

Apologies if this has been covered before. Is there any sort of meter in the van which indicates the charge on the leisure battery.
Also, in terms of charging at home or on a pitch, do you need to do anything other than plug in.
In the manual i’m sure it says something about flicking a switch somewhere once plugged in, or am I imagining that.

Apologies if this has been covered before. Is there any sort of meter in the van which indicates the charge on the leisure battery.
Also, in terms of charging at home or on a pitch, do you need to do anything other than plug in.
In the manual i’m sure it says something about flicking a switch somewhere once plugged in, or am I imagining that.

Yes the main control panel in SE/Ocean (Beach also, yes... someone?) has a battery condition display. Eg 90%, 80%... not particularly reliable but good enough. It also shows you the discharge rate, in amps, on the leisure batteries at that point.

When you plug into an outside electric source everything switches over automagically, nothing else to do. The batteries begin to recharge, and you can plug a 240v appliance into the socket inside the van (on an SE/Ocean).

Beach doesn’t have one sadly, you will need a plug in one or one installed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yes the main control panel in SE/Ocean (Beach also, yes... someone?) has a battery condition display. Eg 90%, 80%... not particularly reliable but good enough. It also shows you the discharge rate, in amps, on the leisure batteries at that point.

When you plug into an outside electric source everything switches over automagically, nothing else to do. The batteries begin to recharge, and you can plug a 240v appliance into the socket inside the van (on an SE/Ocean).

Thanks.
As Matt’s clarified, the beach doesn’t have one after all.

Thanks Matt
Given you’re a fellow beach owner could I ask whether there is a circuit breaker anywhere.
In the supplement I have it says when hooking up to mains you should to enable a breaker which “for vehicles without a cupboard” is in with the tool box. It’s to protect people and wiring within the van.
It would be a lot easier if the bloody supplement was split into two sections, one for the beach and one for the ocean.

Yes the RCD/breaker is in the rear boot/trunk of the van in the left side under the little plastic panel. Same place the jack and first aid kit is.

Last edited:
Thanks Matt
Given you’re a fellow beach owner could I ask whether there is a circuit breaker anywhere.
In the supplement I have it says when hooking up to mains you should to enable a breaker which “for vehicles without a cupboard” is in with the tool box. It’s to protect people and wiring within the van.
It would be a lot easier if the bloody supplement was split into two sections, one for the beach and one for the ocean.
Yes, there is a circuit breaker in the Beach, it is located in the rear (n/s) above the wheel arch.

Thanks guys. I must be going mad as there is definitely no circuit breaker behind the panel above the wheel arch where the tool kit is.
Anyone else have any ideas ?

3716770D-352F-47EB-BA92-E45AAA784E1D.jpeg

Call me pedantic but it’s actually an RCBO (combined RCD and circuit breaker) :happy

Call me pedantic but it’s actually an RCBO (combined RCD and circuit breaker) :happy

Well whatever it’s called I found the bloody thing ;)
It’s not actually visible within the compartment where the tool kit but I can feel it if I slide my hand up towards where the hook up socket connects to the van.
Not quite what the bloody manual indicates but hey ho.

This is an old post but I was wondering that now we are in Lockdown is it advisable to hook your Cali up to electricity whilst not in use

Mine is for a month now. Seems like there is no problem yet.

This is an old post but I was wondering that now we are in Lockdown is it advisable to hook your Cali up to electricity whilst not in use
I tend to hook up for 24 hours every 3 or 4 weeks just to keep the leisure batteries topped up and in good condition