Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

On hook up and off hook up (daft questions)

Jerseyroberts

Jerseyroberts

Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
hi,

We have tent camped previously, and have camped in a van previously but are new to camping in a van with potential hook up / electricity.

We recently brought a beach and have booked various campsites in France for a trip in July. Each place we have booked has hook up without request. Can anyone answer the below....

Scenario 1: off hook up. Will a fridge / kettle plunged into the plug socket work? I thought the van had two batteries for this purpose (so not to run the engine starter out) but I just went out with a kettle and it didn’t work.

Scenario 2: on hook up. We have one plug in the van. Could I use a toaster / fridge / kettle off this plug? Can I use a multi socket?

Lastly, the van arrived with a blue cable. Does this work in France or do I need any special adaption or lengthening equipment?

Can’t wait to have the luxury of electricity but also am nervous as previously have always tried to keep things simple.

Scenario 1 - The leisure battery the Cali has is for powering the 12v appliances with the engine off. Like a fridge, lights etc. It doesn't do 240v. As you have a beach, you won't have the inverter either that powers up to 150w 240v items either.

Scenario 2 - Yes you can, and yes you can use a multi socket / extension cable, but remember that most campsites only give out about 10A maximum, so don't use a kettle and a toaster at the same time (both switched on at once) otherwise it might trip it.

Blue cable - yes, france, but most are now using the blue commando style (uk type) plugs/sockets that you'll have to buy separately.

Scenario 1 - The leisure battery the Cali has is for powering the 12v appliances with the engine off. Like a fridge, lights etc. It doesn't do 240v. As you have a beach, you won't have the inverter either that powers up to 150w 240v items either.

Scenario 2 - Yes you can, and yes you can use a multi socket / extension cable, but remember that most campsites only give out about 10A maximum, so don't use a kettle and a toaster at the same time (both switched on at once) otherwise it might trip it.

Blue cable - yes, france, but most are now using the blue commando style (uk type) plugs/sockets that you'll have to buy separately.

Thanks itguy.

Ok, I think I get it. So 12v low powered things it works (charging my phone?) but higher powered appliances like a kettle or hairdryer it doesn’t.

And, with hook up no massive benefit for multi plug sockets as most site only allow use for one high power appliance at a time.

I think I need a separate new cable by what you are saying. I will have a look on the shop on here.

If you have hook-up at a campsite you can carry anything you like to plug in , i've seen some Dutchmen taking a huge kitchenfridge out of theire trailer at a campsite once....

Just get yourself a blue three pin extension lead from the forumshop and a adaptor to a UK plug lead it in to your Cali and take your microwave , TV , water boiler , ....anything you like ...it will work .

Blue or Orange cable? What is the significance by their difference?

Blue or Orange cable? What is the significance by their difference?

I meant the blue plug ...the color of the cable can vary , but the only thing you need to look out for is a souple / soft cable that can easy be rolled up in your hand

Thanks itguy.

Ok, I think I get it. So 12v low powered things it works (charging my phone?) but higher powered appliances like a kettle or hairdryer it doesn’t.

And, with hook up no massive benefit for multi plug sockets as most site only allow use for one high power appliance at a time.

I think I need a separate new cable by what you are saying. I will have a look on the shop on here.
With respect... from what you say... I get the impression that you don't understand Voltage, Current and how they related to power (measured in Watts). Can I suggest that you read up a bit on this... oodles of good stuff on the interweb ! You may also want to add to this the fundamentals of AC and DC current which will then mean that you know what an inverter does.

Cheers W
I meant the blue plug ...the color of the cable can vary , but the only thing you need to look out for is a souple / soft cable that can easy be rolled up in your hand
Cheers Wim. I thought I was going to have to buy me a new cable for France! Phew! Thankfully not. Soft wind up? Definite a need in winter.

With respect... from what you say... I get the impression that you don't understand Voltage, Current and how they related to power (measured in Watts). Can I suggest that you read up a bit on this... oodles of good stuff on the interweb ! You may also want to add to this the fundamentals of AC and DC current which will then mean that you know what an inverter does.

Thanks for the advice.

I have little / no understanding of any of these terms and will look them up as you are correct, I should probably be better informed.

I think my plan is to buy a small fridge and plug it in the van to only use when on hook up.

I have little / no understanding of any of these terms and will look them up as you are correct, I should probably be better informed.
Forget trying to understand AC and DC for now.

Power (watts) is pressure (volts) multiplied by flow (Amps).

A 12 Volt lighter socket will need 20 times the flow (Amps) to deliver the same power as a 240 Volt mains socket.

This makes 12 volt sockets impractical for high power household appliances.

Follow my blog: www.au-revoir.eu

We have a T6 Beach 150, like yours.

Generally, we don't use hook-up. We can run the interior lights, a small waeco/dometic compressor fridge and the overnight heater (which we added to our Beach) all fine for a few days. Plus keep iPhone, MacBooks and our Mini Projector powered-up as well.

We have bought a small inverter, from Tesco (~£30) to allow us to plug 3-pin plugs, into the 12v cigarette sockets, of which there are a good few scattered around the van.

When offered "free" or included hook-up on a site, we generally do use it, just to do a good full-charge of both batteries. The single 3-pin internal socket can be used, once on hook-up. We would never consider a 12v kettle tho, as they are way too slow compared to using a cartridge-gas burner to heat water for a cuppa or heat some soup or make toasties etc on a ridge monkey grill.

To-date, we have not ran out of batteries during a trip, so as yet comment any further on their lasting ability. However, I would suspect toasters/kettles would suck into that power reserver pretty quickly.

Enjoy your new Beach!

I would agree with that too, it will depend how you travel in your van as to whether you will need hookup or not but with a decent compressor fridge you should be good for at least a few days.

For example I have a Waeco 40l fridge in my beach I can easily do 3 days without hookup, my record is 6 days that's with one leisure battery in the Beach.

Hookup is always nice but if I am going to drive every day or 2 I pretty much never run out of power and can go without hookup. My fridge however does run on mains quite happily so for long stays (or using heaters) its great.

There are some good simple tricks too to making your battery last longer, I freeze bottles of water at home before a trip and put them in my fridge just before we leave this makes it use less power and you have ice cold water. I also turn the fridge to a colder temp when the engine is running and back up once arrived on site. With just those simple tricks I have seen 6 days out of the beach battery with room to spare.

Also well worth adding a direct battery connection for any fridge that you can plug into, as the factory 12v socket in the Cali isn't up to it really.

+1 for what Matt said (ours is an SE not a Beach, but same principle).

After a night's stop our batteries are typically at 80+% when we set off next day and that big "180bhp battery re-charger" in the front kicks in.

So we just don't bother with hook-up these days, even if it's available free. I've almost been tempted not to bother to take a cable, but something just makes me keep it in the van.

(For same reasons, personally wouldn't bother fitting solar in the Cali, although would be pleased to have it if it came with the van).

But this all depends on your customary mode of travel - we're invariably highly nomadic but you might be looking at longer campsite stays. And if you have a Beach without an aux heater, you might well want EHU to power an electric heater I guess. (Although not in July, doh).

We would never consider a 12v kettle tho, as they are way too slow compared to using a cartridge-gas burner to heat water for a cuppa or heat some soup or make toasties etc on a ridge monkey grill.

An electric kettle would of course also drain your leisure battery very quickly. The Beach battery is (I think) 80Ah and that's when it's new. 80Ah at 12V is just under one KWh if you drained it fully - which you don't want to do as you'll reduce its lifespan. So I'd guess in practice you'd boil no more than maybe 4 full kettles on a charge.

Similarly, you could run a 1kW electric fan heater off a 12-to-240V inverter, but only for about half an hour or so.

(Anyone like to correct me on my facts/calcs, go ahead.)

More or less spot on. Our 12 volt kettle takes 45 - 60 mins to boil 750ml of water, depending on initial water temperature. It draws up to 20 Amps, and our battery is 75Ah.

Why would you do this?

More or less spot on. Our 12 volt kettle takes 45 - 60 mins to boil 750ml of water, depending on initial water temperature. It draws up to 20 Amps, and our battery is 75Ah.

I purchased an Alpkit Brukit Wolf, I can boil about 800ml of water in around 90 seconds on a good day. Amazing, solved the tea making in the beach for us regardless of weather.

I had a 12v kettle for a couple of days and gave it away, unusable imho.

Just for information.

Yellow cable/commando socket 110 volts

Blue cable/commando socket 230 volts

Red cable/commando socket 400 volts

Orange cable is often used as a domestic extension lead, or comes with appliances such as lawn mowers as it's easily visible.

The hook up is simply an extension lead with the sockets identifying the voltage.

Hope this helps.

If you intend to not have a hookup all your power will be coming from the stored energy in you leisure battery. As to how long that energy will last depends on what you plug in. Each appliance/device will have it's own rating.

When you are driving around the leisure battery charges up. If you're not driving round then it’s not. Being on hookup charges the leisure battery. So, if you’re going without hookup and not driving around you can run out of juice to power your stuff. You need to know how long you can last without the leisure battery being topped up. You could consider a second leisure battery or getting solar panels.

If, like us, you're away for quite a while and are going to different places you'll top up on the drive in between (depending on how far). But with a bit of planning you can alternate between staying on a site with hookup, then moving on to a place without - if you want to go a bit freer/wilder. Sites with electric often come with more organised facilities and more “rules”. So work out what kind of camping you want to do and what you're happy to “trade”.

If you want your camping to be an adventure and not like being at home, don't bother with a microwave or other home comforts, find more exciting ways to cook, etc. A fridge/cooler though is really useful in summer as you don't want your food going off or your wine/beer warming up. Other methods of chilling, without lecci, aren't very convenient.