Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

DPF Anxiety

Lambeth Cali

Lambeth Cali

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 174
I have a 2007 DSG (Tiptronic) Cali with 2.5 engine - can anyone tell me whether I have a DPF and if so, whether I have a DPF light? Mine is used mostly for short journeys (daily driver) but if it gets a bit smelly I take it for a trip round the countryside as we don't have any motorways in Dorset!
Yes we all have DPFs. Our T5s don’t have a specific DPF light but the orange light that looks like an engine would likely come on if you had a problem.
Let’s face it, your van has survived nearly 15 years without a problem. I’m very much of the ‘don’t worry about it’ school. When you pass 300,000 miles you should worry.
Our 2.5 5 cylinder engines (mines a 2008) are the best California engines. Cog driven and no adblue, they last forever. The vans will outlive us both.

john mar

john mar

Basil
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 150
Happy New Year, I am getting to grips with driving my new 6.1 Cali and love the high driving position. Apologies if there is another thread which answers this question, I have looked. We bought the Cali because we didn’t want a large motor home which would gather dust in the drive, so the intention was to use it as an everyday all purpose vehicle and to do away trips and overnight stays. Having read a lot about the DPF woes I’m finding myself avoiding jumping in the Cali and using it for short trips which defeats the one of the goals of having the van. My question is, can I use if for short local trips providing once in a while (every week/month??) I take it for a an extended blast to give it a good regeneration ? Second part to the question is how many trips 1-3 miles can I do before needing a blast? I had a Range Rover evoque previously (diesel) which did a lot of short trips with the occasional long run and it never had a DPF issue in 4 years of ownership. Thanks in advance for all the advice.

Hi. When my Cali is ticking over at below the number 1 on the rev counter I know the regen is not happening ( when stationary)...when its above the 1 , I try (if I remember) not to turn the engine off until its finished.

I am hoping this will do the trick. I've only done 800 miles so far. There a video all about on YouTube. Cant remember the name sorry.

john mar

john mar

Basil
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 150
Hi. When my Cali is ticking over at below the number 1 on the rev counter I know the regen is not happening ( when stationary)...when its above the 1 , I try (if I remember) not to turn the engine off until its finished.

I am hoping this will do the trick. I've only done 800 miles so far. There a video all about on YouTube. Cant remember the name sorry.
found it. Watch this

D

Delfhill

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
As well as our California we have a 2 litre diesel VW Tiguan, owned from new, 6 years old with 20,000 miles. This almost exclusively does short local runs and we have never had any problems with the DPF so hope this is reassuring.

66tim99

66tim99

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 150
If start/stop is disabled, and the revs are 1000 (rather than below) at idle (similar to having pressed Max Charge) … then don’t turn off the engine. Let it idle until the revs drop back to c.800

Azteccamper

Azteccamper

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 140
Yes we all have DPFs. Our T5s don’t have a specific DPF light but the orange light that looks like an engine would likely come on if you had a problem.
Let’s face it, your van has survived nearly 15 years without a problem. I’m very much of the ‘don’t worry about it’ school. When you pass 300,000 miles you should worry.
Our 2.5 5 cylinder engines (mines a 2008) are the best California engines. Cog driven and no adblue, they last forever. The vans will outlive us both.
Not strictly true.
The 2.5 BNZ or BPC engines 2006/07 onwards have DPF , the AXD /AXE engines previous to that do not.

A

andrew bazeley

VIP Member
This is all new to me. I've had a 2.5 TDI Cali since 2008, and I've never had a DPF warning. Did it exist then?
In the winter, mine's only used for short runs a couple of times a week, plus one weekly 150-miler to my father-in-law's house. Until lockdown, it was used for camping about three times a year. Serviced regularly, and nothing's ever been raised.

Azteccamper

Azteccamper

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 140
This is all new to me. I've had a 2.5 TDI Cali since 2008, and I've never had a DPF warning. Did it exist then?
In the winter, mine's only used for short runs a couple of times a week, plus one weekly 150-miler to my father-in-law's house. Until lockdown, it was used for camping about three times a year. Serviced regularly, and nothing's ever been raised.
There’s a very good chance you have a DPF, but what you’re doing is spot on - it’s looking after itself with that longer weekly trip. Just carry on enjoying.

BikerGran

BikerGran

Growing old disgracefully
VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 174
Thanks for that! I haven't worried about it really, just nice to know.
Don't know about yours but mine when it's clean (not often as it gets used!) still looks fairly new apart from the inevitable hedge scratches!

paolino

paolino

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Se la rigenerazione del DPF ti terrà sveglio la notte, qualunque cosa tu faccia, non comprare una barca... ancore che si trascinano, l'affidabilità del motore può essere una questione di vita o di morte, a causa del guasto degli accessori dello scafo puoi affondarti in 5 minuti , e una miriade di altre cose come perdere le persone per caso.

Come molti hanno già detto, guidalo, divertiti e segui le istruzioni nel manuale utente. :pollice
hahaha..... i have a boat.... hahaha

Lambeth Cali

Lambeth Cali

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 174
Thanks for that! I haven't worried about it really, just nice to know.
Don't know about yours but mine when it's clean (not often as it gets used!) still looks fairly new apart from the inevitable hedge scratches!
I haven’t waxed ours for years but I give it a good wash about 3 times a year. People often think it’s new.
There are 3 type 25 campers on my road. They must be 35+ years old. They all run great. They rust a bit. One just had a custard yellow respray and looks amazing.
Californias are zinc galvanised and should never rust. I’m hoping to keep mine until I’m too old to drive. Our whole family love holidays in it. Just sitting in ours makes me feel like I’m on holiday.