Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Drainage gurgle

J

John Slater

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150 4Motion
I've noticed that when it's raining and the van is parked on a slight decline there is an audible gurgle of water passing through a restriction somewhere on the roof. Sure this is fine but wondering whether it needs to be cleared or if there's a partial blockage that's restricting flow?

I've noticed that when it's raining and the van is parked on a slight decline there is an audible gurgle of water passing through a restriction somewhere on the roof. Sure this is fine but wondering whether it needs to be cleared or if there's a partial blockage that's restricting flow?
The Front drains are long, down the A pillar, with a Right angle bend. Bow them out with air, don’t force anything down them. There is a butterfly valve at the end that opens around the wheel arch area.
The rear drains are short and one piece and rarely problematic.

I’ve noticed the same, not a problem but it’s worth checking the roof drains are clear. Be careful not to use any force as the drains can become dislodged. I use a syringe.

Thanks Gents. I suspect the front passenger side then as that would be the most used when the van is parked at home. I'll have a look when back from the current travels

Thanks Gents. I suspect the front passenger side then as that would be the most used when the van is parked at home. I'll have a look when back from the current travels
Is your Cali parked up on your drive roof up all the time ?
The drain pipes are UNDER the roof when closed ;)
When parked up roof down water just runs of the roof on the body ...

There's a nice forum member who posted how to check the draines including pictues:)

I'm sat here now in a wet Ullapool with the roof down and there is definitely a gurgle of water down a drain from the roof.

Might be worth raising the roof a few inches, just to rule out the drain but as @hotel california points out the drain should be redundant with the roof down.... unless there’s a problem with the front rubber seal letting water in. I’d say intriguing more than a worry though!