Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Engine cooling fans run from startup, A/C knocked out

C

camper-x

Vehicle
T5 SE 174
Hi all, When I switch the ignition on there's a slight delay then the engine cooling fans kick in. Doesn't matter whether the engine is cold or hot, on go the fans. Same for start engine, slight delay then on go the fans.The engine still gets up to temperature and sits dead centre on the gauge. But the fans fun all the time drawing extra air through the radiator. The A/C has stopped working. Am thinking the two are linked. A/C was re-gassed by VW 12 months ago.

My local garage found these codes:

Address 01:Engine
  • 005697 please check DTC memory of A/C Controller
    • P1641 - 000 -
Address 08 Auto HVAC
  • 00819 high pressure sensor (G65)
    • 009 open or short to ground
  • 01592 air quality sensor (G238)
    • 010 open or short to plus
  • 03091 fan for interior temperature sensor
    • 000 - - - intermittent
Address 0B: Sec. Air Heating
  • 00668 - supply voltage terminal 30
    • 002 - lower limit exceeded
They replaced G65 and G238 sensors and reset the codes but the fans started and the same two codes returned (the others cleared). They installed the original sensors to save me money on unnecessary parts.

Since this has happened my MPG has gone up massively. I usually get around 400 miles from a full tank. Now I'm seeing 500. That's a hell of a difference.

Any ideas before I action the garage recommendation to call in their preferred auto electrician?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Hi all, When I switch the ignition on there's a slight delay then the engine cooling fans kick in. Doesn't matter whether the engine is cold or hot, on go the fans. Same for start engine, slight delay then on go the fans.The engine still gets up to temperature and sits dead centre on the gauge. But the fans fun all the time drawing extra air through the radiator. The A/C has stopped working. Am thinking the two are linked. A/C was re-gassed by VW 12 months ago.

My local garage found these codes:

Address 01:Engine
  • 005697 please check DTC memory of A/C Controller
    • P1641 - 000 -
Address 08 Auto HVAC
  • 00819 high pressure sensor (G65)
    • 009 open or short to ground
  • 01592 air quality sensor (G238)
    • 010 open or short to plus
  • 03091 fan for interior temperature sensor
    • 000 - - - intermittent
Address 0B: Sec. Air Heating
  • 00668 - supply voltage terminal 30
    • 002 - lower limit exceeded
They replaced G65 and G238 sensors and reset the codes but the fans started and the same two codes returned (the others cleared). They installed the original sensors to save me money on unnecessary parts.

Since this has happened my MPG has gone up massively. I usually get around 400 miles from a full tank. Now I'm seeing 500. That's a hell of a difference.

Any ideas before I action the garage recommendation to call in their preferred auto electrician?

Thanks in advance.
Is the AirCon still Gassed?
Did this start after the Re-Gassing?
Do you have The Rear AirCon as well?
Was the Re Gassing done to account for the Rear system.
If the AirCon is switched Off do the fans still come on?

Is the AirCon still Gassed?
Did this start after the Re-Gassing?
Do you have The Rear AirCon as well?
Was the Re Gassing done to account for the Rear system.
If the AirCon is switched Off do the fans still come on?
Hi Welshgas.

Re-gassing was done by VW 12 months ago, problem started in last 2 weeks
I have rear aircon as well with control panel to rear - its full climatronic
If A/C is switched off using front control engine cooling fans stay on. I've not looked at rear but will do so and report back

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Check the wiring loom for chafing.
Hi Loz,

Could you be a little more specific please? When you say the wiring loom, where should I go looking?

Thanks,

Hi Loz,

Could you be a little more specific please? When you say the wiring loom, where should I go looking?

Thanks,

Follow the wiring from the sensors back as far as you can and check for damage from either rubbing or rodent damage.

one of the faults listed was "open or short to ground" and the other was "open or short to plus" which suggests the cables might be damaged/pinched/ chewed through ?

Hi Welshgas.

Re-gassing was done by VW 12 months ago, problem started in last 2 weeks
I have rear aircon as well with control panel to rear - its full climatronic
If A/C is switched off using front control engine cooling fans stay on. I've not looked at rear but will do so and report back

Fans run whether front AC is switched on or not. Rear control only has Auto option. Switches off when adjusting fan speed. Fans run either way, all combinations of front and rear. Leaning toward a wiring fault. Previous owner kept it in a dry barn and mentioned some rodent issue he'd dealt with. I'll have a good look round when it's lighter. Cheers both.

Hi,

I have woken up this morning to exactly the same problem:

A/C knocked out (no lights or action)

Loud noise from bonnet seems to be fan running extra fast.

Did you find the problem / solution?

Grateful for any info before deciding whether its ok to drive or should have towed for help...

Robin

The fan noise can sometimes be the regeneration but your MPG would go down not up if regen was in place. Perhaps there is some wiring damage and things aren't working quite right?

Animals perhaps chewed some wires underneath?

Thanks.

Its a posdible cause of A/C out but the cooling Fans or Belt running loud makes it sound unlikely.

If anyone else has shared experience let me know.

I'm due to be towed to the nearest VW garage on Monday for them to look at it. VW Assistance reccomend not to drive as could be a broken Aux Belt. Monday is earliest they can see us, so beached now for three days

Thanks.

Its a posdible cause of A/C out but the cooling Fans or Belt running loud makes it sound unlikely.

If anyone else has shared experience let me know.

I'm due to be towed to the nearest VW garage on Monday for them to look at it. VW Assistance reccomend not to drive as could be a broken Aux Belt. Monday is earliest they can see us, so beached now for three days
Hi. Sorry for the delayed reply. If it’s the same issue I had the van was 100% fine to drive (it was only a fan running on, the engine temp wasn’t affected) and the fault was a sensor. My local garage changed it but the symptoms remained so they changed it back to the original and only charged me the diagnostics. My VW van dealer diagnosed and changed it and all was well. Hope it’s the same issue and you get it sorted.

For completeness here is the update.

Towed to a local VW Garage in France.

They did diagnostics.

They rebooted the ECU (Engine Computer Unit).

They charged me Euro178 for the pleasure.

All is working normally again.

No cause given for the problem...

We have the same/similar issue on our 2015 T6. The A/C has stopped working (no light). The engine radiator cooling fan kicks in shortly after the ignition is switched on either cold or hot. The engine still gets up to normal temperature. Only hot air from heating controls - will not go cold. Any ideas from previous posts on which sensors have been replaced/changed or other repairs/faults found to resolve the issue?

Back