Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Drive away awning

mintyman

mintyman

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
Sorry if this is a silly question. Just collected my new Cali today and when I got home realised that the factory fitted awning is fitted on the driver's side. Does this make it incompatible with a drive away awning I had purchased second hand? Would I need to switch the roll out one to the passenger side? Can this even be done? So confused....

Additionally, I tried extending the standard awning but couldn't get the legs to lock tight, so the thing just collapsed. Is the a trick or knack to this?

Thanks

Hi, Awning should fit any side, but obviously you want it on the drivers side, where the sliding door is. If you lift the edge of the Awning up you will see the slot for the strip on the drive away to slide into. The leg catches need some strong pushing first few times, they are just stiff at first ( I had the same concern).

It should be compatible, in as much as it should fit (maybe with an adaptor) either side.
depending upon the specific awning, if mounted on the drivers side so that you can access the awning via the side door on the drivers side, the front opening of the awning may face backwards instead of forwards (as viewed from drivers seat)

Sorry if this is a silly question. Just collected my new Cali today and when I got home realised that the factory fitted awning is fitted on the driver's side. Does this make it incompatible with a drive away awning I had purchased second hand? Would I need to switch the roll out one to the passenger side? Can this even be done? So confused....

Additionally, I tried extending the standard awning but couldn't get the legs to lock tight, so the thing just collapsed. Is the a trick or knack to this?

Thanks
You have to push the levers really hard to lock the legs. It feels like they are going to break which is unsettling at first.

o/ Minty

Awnings on Cali's are always on right side w/ sliding door, referred to as continental (european setup)

The drive away awnings do vary depending if theyre continental or not. Most awnings in the UK are for left sided (and most campsites reflect this too), however the major brands cater for continental obviously. Vango for example refer to those as 'RSV' (right sided vehicle). ie -

- Vango Galli Low III
- Vango Galli Low III RSV

Your purchased one will work - it just means that your front door wont be facing forward, but backward. Not always a bad thing, and means you have easy access to your boot and wont be staring at other campers if you're backing onto a hedgerow.

Thanks everyone for the helpful responses. I'll look more closely tomorrow and familiarise myself with everything in more detail

There are some threads with good tips about connecting awnings. The key is that you need a “low” awning, for the height of the van. If you could mention the type /make you have I’m sure someone will be able to give specific advice.

There are some threads with good tips about connecting awnings. The key is that you need a “low” awning, for the height of the van. If you could mention the type /make you have I’m sure someone will be able to give specific advice.
I purchased a Vango Magra - I believe it's a 'low'. I was just worried that it wouldn't be able to connect on the driver's side due to the wind out one being there (and me wrongly assuming it was already using the track needed for the drive away). The good thing about the Magra is that is has both front and rear entrances so I'm not affected by which end faces forwards

You’ll be fine with that. To connect on the van you have two options. The conventional way is using a kador strip, threading this through the 6mm channel at the edge of the wind out canopy (lift the side cover up to reveal it), and then thread figure of 8 profiles onto this and your Vango awning at the same time. Most do this. It can make the side door a problem to open, depending on the lay of the land. You’re also likely to get drip above the door when raining.

The second option is to clip figure of 8 profile to the top edge of the side cover, then thread on your Vango awning to these. This lifts the connection up away from the door, and it gives a better drip proof rain connection. It’s slightly more fiddly to reconnect the awning after you’ve separated from the van. Theres a thread on this technique but I’m afraid the thread search function isn’t working just now.

Often works out better on UK pitches. With a California you are usually required to park nose in to the pitch so the side door is on the right, when looking at the van from the rear. This means access to the tail gate is easier, particularly if there is boundary hedge or fence. Ideally a drive away awning main entrance / porch area should face to the rear of the van when attached. Main entrance facing opposite the sliding door works too but there is a risk main entrance / porch area will be facing your neighbours pitch. Fine if another California but often it’s a caravan’s tow car or a great white (aka Motorhome)

You’ll be fine with that. To connect on the van you have two options. The conventional way is using a kador strip, threading this through the 6mm channel at the edge of the wind out canopy (lift the side cover up to reveal it), and then thread figure of 8 profiles onto this and your Vango awning at the same time. Most do this. It can make the side door a problem to open, depending on the lay of the land. You’re also likely to get drip above the door when raining.
Is the channel in the wind out awning designed for a 4mm or 6mm kador? I tend to default to the double kador with both 4mm and 6mm on the van side. The 4mm strip comfortably fits into the channel, the 6mm not so much. I have noticed that another apparently 6mm kador I have does fit though, so perhaps it depends on the tolerance of your kit.

Is the channel in the wind out awning designed for a 4mm or 6mm kador? I tend to default to the double kador with both 4mm and 6mm on the van side. The 4mm strip comfortably fits into the channel, the 6mm not so much. I have noticed that another apparently 6mm kador I have does fit though, so perhaps it depends on the tolerance of your kit.
6mm fits mine (T5).

Likewise. You can get away with 4mm but 6mm is the actual size. If the edge of the kador is a a bit frayed, it’s hard to push in. A combined 6&4 is good anyway as you can use this on the (UK) passenger side. Stuff both bits in.

On sites where there are markers to drive up to, eg Caravan Club sites, we always end up driving into the pitch, boot facing outwards, so you connect your awning on the ‘right’ side. Everyone else has their tailgates facing the hedge. In a way it’s good, because it cuts out all the decisions, could it be better this way, or that way !

Often works out better on UK pitches. With a California you are usually required to park nose in to the pitch so the side door is on the right, when looking at the van from the rear. This means access to the tail gate is easier, particularly if there is boundary hedge or fence. Ideally a drive away awning main entrance / porch area should face to the rear of the van when attached. Main entrance facing opposite the sliding door works too but there is a risk main entrance / porch area will be facing your neighbours pitch. Fine if another California but often it’s a caravan’s tow car or a great white (aka Motorhome)
What sites do you use out of interest? Never once been asked to park front in - wondering if it's a specific company etc?

What sites do you use out of interest? Never once been asked to park front in - wondering if it's a specific company etc?
Most CMC sites especially if you elect to use hard or gravel standings.

Most CMC sites especially if you elect to use hard or gravel standings.
Agree. It’s how the parking pegs are set out. You park between 2 white egg now if you have an awning. The left peg has about 1m of gravel, then grass. The right peg has about 3-4m of gravel, then grass. You can’t pitch canvas on grass (on hardstanding pitches). So for a Cali with an awning it’s a no brainer. Even if you don’t put an awning up, the widest gap to the next unit is going to be on the drivers side.

Hmmm we've never had an issue with CAMC. That said, we always avoid hard standing as for us, we're going for the grass (if that makes sense).

We’ve not found that many CAMC sites with grass pitch options. CCC normally have grass - or what was grass (if you arrive anytime after mid season!).

Off topic, but the one CAMC site that excels in grass pitches is the site at Godrevy Sands In Cornwall. The pitches are fabulous and you can set up any which way.

I purchased a Vango Magra - I believe it's a 'low'. I was just worried that it wouldn't be able to connect on the driver's side due to the wind out one being there (and me wrongly assuming it was already using the track needed for the drive away). The good thing about the Magra is that is has both front and rear entrances so I'm not affected by which end faces forwards
Magra will work for you. We considered one as well, but decided on a Movelite T3E Euro. Haven't used it yet. You will need a connecting kit if you don't already have one. We were told by the sales guy at A&E leisure that we need to wind out the fixed canopy awning a little to access the connection slot.

Back