Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Drive Away Awnings not welcome?

B

Barry Chuckle

Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 204
I've noticed recently at a few campsites I was trying to book they don't allow drive away awnings. Although it's not the majority of the sites I looked at it's still quite a few and seems to be a growing number. Oddly a few of these allow standard awnings which attach to the van.

Has anyone come across this before and does anyone know the reason they're not allowed but standard awnings are?

Believe it or not it’s the local council licensing laws !
the L/A set the terms for the campsite license

edit I’ve been on sites that allow attached awnings but not stand alone ! Wind out OK , drive away OK, stand alone / gazebo NO

Have been on several camping and Caravanning club sites where the managers clearly don’t like them because they are large. When I point out that caravans with cars and awnings are even bigger they just shrug and cite fire regulations.
I don’t think it is official policy to despise us but it sometimes feels that way.

I thought it may have been an issue with the drive away awning sitting on it's own if you took the van out, like the wind blowing it away and it causing damage.

I thought it may have been an issue with the drive away awning sitting on it's own if you took the van out, like the wind blowing it away and it causing damage.
If the D/ awning is pegged down as per the pegging points provided by the manufacturer I see no issue with leaving it up to go out, I have many times.
I’ve also pitched it in the garden for kids to sleep in unattached to the van, no problem

I've noticed recently at a few campsites I was trying to book they don't allow drive away awnings. Although it's not the majority of the sites I looked at it's still quite a few and seems to be a growing number. Oddly a few of these allow standard awnings which attach to the van.

Has anyone come across this before and does anyone know the reason they're not allowed but standard awnings are?
This is worrying, if it becomes a trend. Looking to get a driveway this summer, to allow day use of van, without having to pack up camp. Which sites have you spotted with this condition imposed.

This is worrying, if it becomes a trend. Looking to get a driveway this summer, to allow day use of van, without having to pack up camp. Which sites have you spotted with this condition imposed.
It's neither worrying nor a trend. Never happened to me. Buy in confidence.

I have not encountered this, but the opposite where you can have an attached awning but not stand alone tent. I get around this by introducing Seb to reception staff on arrival when asking about the disabled facilities and let them know he sleeps in the ‘awning’. No one is heartless enough to say no to him!!

It's neither worrying nor a trend. Never happened to me. Buy in confidence.
agreed... on Pitchup I've seen "no pup tents" a few times, or no gazebos, but mostly its "we charge you extra for these ching ching" lol

Yeah as others have said it’s mostly the opposite - only ok if it’s attached to the van - no standalone or pup tents etc. I wouldn’t let it put you off buying one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I recently went to a campsite on hailing island , they charge you if you bring your own Paddle board !
let alone anything else o_O
To be. Fair it’s a decent site I would go back to , here’s a flavour of charging, please read their website before making comment , I believe the charge for a sup relates to fees to harbour master (Local authorities)

IMG_0963.jpeg

I recently went to a campsite on hailing island , they charge you if you bring your own Paddle board !

WTF!….Thats a first for me!

Are you allowed to breath, or, is that extra as well!

We’ve come across a few who allow DA awning but not with sewn in ground sheet.

WTF!….Thats a first for me!

Are you allowed to breath, or, is that extra as well!
I think breathing is ok so long as you do it after 10am and stop before 11pm ! On the day of leaving you’re allowed to breathe freely but you must leave b4 11am. Any Breaths you haven’t taken must be left onsite but must be left in a clean state for others to breathe . Strictly no Dog breath at any time , which I think is fair enough :rolleyes:

To be. Fair it’s a decent site I would go back to , here’s a flavour of charging, please read their website before making comment , I believe the charge for a sup relates to fees to harbour master (Local authorities)

View attachment 124917
But collecting harbour dues is not the responsibility of the camp site anymore than collecting VED for your vehicle is.
What if you only paddleboard outside the harbour? It's just profiteering trying to hide behind a thin veil of bureaucracy.

I wonder if it is similar to the usual ban on freestanding tents in campervan areas at festivals - probably something to do with insurance ?

Interesting to read this, we recently had a very unpleasant experience at a site where my drive away was called a tent. The owner was having none of it, got really aggressive so we ended up packing up and leaving in wind rain and thunder. We got a full refund when I complained to the office but it ruined a week's holiday. I wouldn't of minded if it was fire regs but there was only 1 other motor home on the site. Statements like "I'm sick of you lot with these campervans" has really made me the question the value camping anymore.

Interesting to read this, we recently had a very unpleasant experience at a site where my drive away was called a tent. The owner was having none of it, got really aggressive so we ended up packing up and leaving in wind rain and thunder. We got a full refund when I complained to the office but it ruined a week's holiday. I wouldn't have minded if it was fire regs but there was only 1 other motor home on the site. Statements like "I'm sick of you lot with these campervans" has really made me the question the value camping anymore.
Cool story bro :D

Have been on several camping and Caravanning club sites where the managers clearly don’t like them because they are large. When I point out that caravans with cars and awnings are even bigger they just shrug and cite fire regulations.
I don’t think it is official policy to despise us but it sometimes feels that way.
We found that when we stayed on ‘proper’ caravan sites there would be a lot of net curtain twitching when the ‘shifty’ camper vanners stayed outside instead of watching soaps on mobile 3 piece sofas like normal people - so we now avoid them if we can!

We found that when we stayed on ‘proper’ caravan sites there would be a lot of net curtain twitching when the ‘shifty’ camper vanners stayed outside instead of watching soaps on mobile 3 piece sofas like normal people - so we now avoid them if we can!
Love it! Perhaps there should be a caged off area on every 'proper' campsite for vans to stop us bringing down the tone :D :D :D

No issues our side with Caravaners, and we all like to twitch the curtain every now and again. But even as a vanner we find the usual small minority of vanners sat outside at 2am getting pissed and making a lot of noise a little tedious. Gives us all the same reputation.

Last edited:
The only time you see them is when they are dragging their waste across the campsite in the mornings and if you're really lucky you might spot them when they arrive, setting up their sky dish.

Funny old bunch. I guess they miss the good old days when they could just rock up on any old piece of land and throw some washing machines into a pile and let the dogs loose.

It was much cheaper and no site rules.

No issues our side with Caravaners, and we all like to twitch the curtain every now and again. But even as a vanner we find the usual small minority of vanners sat outside at 2am getting pissed and making a lot of noise a little tedious. Gives us all the same reputation.
Have had very mixed experiences of noise on campsites in the wee hours, ranging from a young couple having a loud discussion in a nearby tent to an (apparently deaf) elderly couple who fell asleep watching late-night TV in their caravan (who I woke at 3:00am by banging on the window).
Having said that I am very conscious of the noise made by a sliding door of a VW when my bladder calls.

Back