Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Drive away awnings poles or air?

We deliberated for 3 years before purchasing the Vango Galli Low at last years Camping and Caravan show in Manchester. Bought a Skyliner ceiling strip. Next thing to get will be a rug, a big one that will cover all the area, as the footing we bought is a bit thin, yes it protects the groundsheet, but can be a bit rough. We camped on hardcore near Middlesborough. With practice you will get it up within 30mins. There will be a bit of puffing and panting using the pump. But it is brilliant. it gets you out of the van, put your 2 chairs and the table up, have some space. It is heavy and takes up a fair bit of room when packed.

We use a one man pop up Decathlon tent for storage. It works really well and has survived pretty stormy weather. Does your new Decathlon tent have a removable groundsheet as it’s difficult to tell from their product video?

We use a one man pop up Decathlon tent for storage. It works really well and has survived pretty stormy weather. Does your new Decathlon tent have a removable groundsheet as it’s difficult to tell from their product video?
It looks removable in this picture but I could be wrong. I haven't seen it assembled in person.
c154f3e1b25f069d100458e876550a54.jpg

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

Hi, a good compromise is the Khyam systems. It is a framed system (not air) but is relatively quick and easy to put up (have done this many times in pouring rain).

They do quite a few different models depending on if you want side awnings or tailgate awnings for different sized vehicles etc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Khyam quick erects are fabulous to put up/take down. Also very good quality and well made. Only 1 negative point to consider: If it’s wet when you get home you can’t take the “canvas” off the frame so you need space to put it at least half up. You can add on annexes too.

I’ve never fancied an air one, they seem very heavy and bulky.

For festivals and short trips we have the outdoor revolution handi driveaway. Only 2x2m footprint in the main part but enough space with the tunnel for storage, loo, dry the dog etc. It’s pole but very quick and easy to erect.

Both our khyam and outdoor revolution are easy for me to erect on my own.

I don’t like sewn in groundsheets as they’re not suitable for some of the camping we do. In the summer I like grass underfoot.

Hi all, as it looks like we're not going to venture into mainland Europe this summer I'm thinking of investing in an awning for the cooler climes here in Ireland.

Would anyone have any advice on whether it's best to go for poles or air construction?
Is the increased cost worth it for ease of putting up/taking down?
Is one type more stable in windy conditions than the other?

Currently looking at Vango Tolga or Outdoor Revolution Cayman. If anyone has either of those or wants to recommend something else I'd be interested to hear from you also
emoji16.png

Cheers in advance
Hi

We have recently gone from poles to air. Our first is an Outwell California Highway. Our new one is the Kampa Travel Pod Touring bought from the shop on here. Both are great and attach to to the side of the Cali.

I highly recommend the latter. Overall, takes up less space. Much quicker to put up. Easier in the dark if arriving later at the site. Sturdy in the wind and comes with inner tent.

I have also bought the driveway awning kit to make it easier. Threading the beading is fiddly if you do it directly. This makes it really simple.
The ground sheet is sewn in, which some folk don’t like.
I still have the outwell, but think it’s time to sell it.

Hi all, as it looks like we're not going to venture into mainland Europe this summer I'm thinking of investing in an awning for the cooler climes here in Ireland.

Would anyone have any advice on whether it's best to go for poles or air construction?
Is the increased cost worth it for ease of putting up/taking down?
Is one type more stable in windy conditions than the other?

Currently looking at Vango Tolga or Outdoor Revolution Cayman. If anyone has either of those or wants to recommend something else I'd be interested to hear from you also .

Cheers in advance

We bought a Vango Kela IV a year ago and wondered why we didn't buy one sooner. Very pleased on every aspect.

Sorry to hijack this thread but don't forget we will promise to beat any price on awnings for club members ! We are official dealers for Vango, Kampa, Outwell, Sunncamp, Outdoor Revolution and Westfield.

If you see a cheaper price anywhere else just give us a call on 01246 912712

Thanks

Sorry to hijack this thread but don't forget we will promise to beat any price on awnings for club members ! We are official dealers for Vango, Kampa, Outwell, Sunncamp, Outdoor Revolution and Westfield.

If you see a cheaper price anywhere else just give us a call on 01246 912712

Thanks
Ha ha, a timely post, I have just ordered the Vango Tolga from you.

Thanks for all the contributions and advice everyone. I decided to splash out on the Vango awning. I saw it reduced in the Campervan Bits shop and couldn't resist
99d3433c7f4a5b03f7e957c833ffad92.jpg

I believe you can get repair kits although I don't know how good they are.
It came with some patches, but this was a catastrophic failure of the valve joint.

The Decathlon air seconds fresh connect has a clip in groundsheet. I found a review on Youtube.

Thanks for all the contributions and advice everyone. I decided to splash out on the Vango awning. I saw it reduced in the Campervan Bits shop and couldn't resist
99d3433c7f4a5b03f7e957c833ffad92.jpg

We got a Outwell Country Road (Poled) with the van in 2016 (£120). We've used it a couple times and it is a very rigid setup. However, like you I was very impressed with this model and purchased the blue version. I am hoping that because the setup time is minimal and its a little less weight carting around that we will use more. Very impressed with the thought that has gone into this model; specific to the VWs etc... We use when the son invites himself, the daughter has a little Peugeot Partner 'Amdro Boot Jump' set up having got the bug from us. Whilst we generally only stop a couple of nights at any given site, I think this might convince us to try setting up a base in a central location to enjoy the area fully and pack more in the van. Time'll tell. Happy travels Paradise.

Back