Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Drive Away Awning

D

dmcrobin

Morning all

Well after being a Cali owner from 07 to 10, yesterday I went mad and walked into Leicester and bought another one !

For the spec monsters among you, it is:

180 DSG SE
Salsa Red
17" Cascavel Alloys
Bluetooth
Black awning
Removable towbar
Front and rear sensors
Privacy glass

Would like to know everyone's view on the best drive away awning as I'd like to get one ordered

I had a khyam with the old one but it was very fiddly to attach and detach from the van - so the easiest for attaching and removing I guess is my main aim

Thanks

Robin

Vango Kela. We have been thinking about one for ages and it is brilliant.

Easy to put and down

Loads more room, we are 2 adults with a 10 and 12 year old.

Easy enough to attach, but I imagine it is the same mechanism as the kyham. It has a kador strip sewn to the tent, but we put a figure of 8 on that and just clip to the cali awning- there is a thread about it on here somewhere.

Folds up fairly small as well.

T

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Agreed, Vango Kela absolutely brilliant, there is a bigger version if you want to go large, think it's a Sepera.

Very easy to put up and take down, rigid and looks the biz. :thumb

Slept in our garden in the Kela last night. Youngest son insisted. We got the gale force winds and heavy rain he wanted but not the lightning. Felt very stable. Now waiting for a bit of sun to dry it out so I can pack it away.

Had to pack ours away in the p***ing rain a week ago. Luckily it is so easy to pitch it was no big trauma pitching it in the garden when we got home. Peg out the corners, pump it up peg in the 2 webbing straps - jobs a good un :)

Thanks all, Kela order after watching the vids on you tube.

So will the kador fit in the channel on the wind out awning or do I need figure of 8 and a filling strip

Presumably the latter makes it easier to get in and off to drive away ?

Is the kador rail on the wind out awning a standard size, 6 mm I think if google is being friendly today ?

Thanks everyone

Robin

You can attach the tent Kador directly to the van channel that is part of the awning, but that will be a major faff to detatch and reattach if you are driving away.

So you have two options:

Option 1 - Tent Kador - to Figure 8 - Separate Kador Strip - this is the correct way, but there are reports that doing it this way can lead to fouling on the sliding door.

Option 2 - Tent Kador - to figure 8 - then trap the figure 8 on the top of the awning - which holds it a bit higher.

See this post for a description: viewtopic.php?f=125&t=6160&hilit=kador

I use Option 2 :)

Tony

Thanks Tony

Option two sounds like the best plan, presumably winding out the van awning slightly releases the figure if at and it's easy to pull out ?

How long do the figure of 8 strips need to be, I'd go and measure them myself but I haven't for my Cali yet !

Thanks

Robin

They appear to come in a standard length 30" - I have 3, which is not quite the full length of the Cali awning, but work well for me.

The advantage of 3 is that you can fit them in the awning bag :)

We did buy a 4mm-6mm kador strip as well, to try - but haven't bothered yet as the figure 8 solution works so well.

T

Just packed my Kela away, completely dry just one hour in the sun and wind after a downpour.

Back