Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Driveway drain cover

MDY__________

MDY__________

Vehicle
Grand California 680
IMG-20221122-WA0002.jpg

Oops. Look what my 680 did.
I need a new drain inspection cover to fit a 320mm square base.

For reasons I grasp only vaguely, the force exerted by a braking vehicle wheel is much greater than half the axle load. So I think I need something rated for 10T. Maybe more.
Anyone know for sure?

And if that's the case, I can't find anything suitable. Either the load capacity is too low or the footprint is too big.
Perhaps I need the whole thing, chamber and all, pulled up and replaced.

I can't avoid driving over the thing. It's in exactly the wrong place.

Has anyone solved a similar problem?

How about a (5mm?) 600 x 600 steel plate over that? Easy and cheap from a local metal worker.

Last edited:
That is a proprietary cover manufactured by Osma , available from builders merch or Wickes. You can get medium duty (12.5 tonne rating ) B125 rating

have a look at the Osma products or replace with similar either “poly pipe” or “Clark ”

shop around for best price

you will probably need to replace the frame if you choose to get a different make

edit: the standard one you have is rated to 1.5 tonne !

edit: no need to replace the chamber & base (if installed correctly) just make sure the new cover frame new is bedded into a strong concrete bed

edit: check the pipe diameter, it should be 100mm and the new frame should be suitable for the correct size pipe , the one below is representative , not a recommendation of a product.
gclid=CjwKCAiA7vWcBhBUEiwAXieItoc5wegikVi9BBSDJabNkqu7SlHMP4jSNGUKYsxbosBji8dzgQ6JWBoC6_EQAvD_BwE

C4DC2122-9581-48F8-AC36-B1650EA44CCE.png

Last edited:
Back