Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Drain holes under elevating roof - location?

Run the A/c when in the van Driving, the A/C will remove an amount of moisture via normal operatin.

also when parked up / at home, whilst the weather is not raining, open all doors and the tailgate for an hour, believe it or not the outside air will have less moisture in it than inside your van, the result is the moisture in your van equalises with the ambient outside moisture in the air. (Exactly the same principle when you hang washing out)

I did a routine check of the rear drains, gently pushing a length of wire through from both directions. One was fine, the other not. The wire was not coming out on the other side! On investigation the tube between the two grommets was not connected. Meaning water would drain into the rear pillar.
To fix I removed the grommet from the rear hatch and using a cable tie as a guide, pushed through from the roof side, slid the tube over the cable tie so that it relocated onto the roof grommet when the hatch grommet was put back into place. The drain pipe seems to be a fairly loose fit so any force/pressure when clearing debris is likely to dislodge the tube.
Hi I think my drain pipes the back has the same problem and I need to be able put them back together ... could you re explain as its not easy if you havent done it before...to visualise what to do...thanks a lot...David

Hi I think my drain pipes the back has the same problem and I need to be able put them back together ... could you re explain as its not easy if you havent done it before...to visualise what to do...thanks a lot...David
Post 4 shows the 2 grommet. I prised the outer one (behind the hatch) out. Then juggled the pointed end of a nylon cable through from the drain hole (second photo) from the roof out through the hole where the outer grommet was then I slid the grommet over the end of the cable tie and back into position. The tie helping guide the grommet onto the drain pipe that is part of the drain hole grommet. I’m away in the van at the moment otherwise I’d draw a sketch to help explain! Hope that helps.

Post 4 shows the 2 grommet. I prised the outer one (behind the hatch) out. Then juggled the pointed end of a nylon cable through from the drain hole (second photo) from the roof out through the hole where the outer grommet was then I slid the grommet over the end of the cable tie and back into position. The tie helping guide the grommet onto the drain pipe that is part of the drain hole grommet. I’m away in the van at the moment otherwise I’d draw a sketch to help explain! Hope that helps.
Thanks again… il be on it this morning… so you need to be able to see the light through both holes..left and right - right !?

Thanks again… il be on it this morning… so you need to be able to see the light through both holes..left and right - right !?
Do you where the holes are at the front ? I can see one but it’s awfully hard to get to ?!

Do you where the holes are at the front ? I can see one but it’s awfully hard to get to ?!
Have you pulled off the plastic cover over the hydraulic ram?

Hi no not yet I. Did the back drains this morning and will try the front ones later this afternoon…the back left drain had become detached!!! So I’ve aligned those. thanks again.David

Have you pulled off the plastic cover over the hydraulic ram?
Yes found that this morning and seems like both are bunged up... I should receive the syringe today from Amazon and try and free those.The water has made a mess of the textile lining though...bit of a bigger...

I can see through one but not the other but they both work.
it‘s a daft design, having a push fit join where you can’t get to it!

Yeah really strange idea… I think I’ve cleared both and the front drains too… thanks again…

Back