Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

4season vectors

NeillyG

NeillyG

VIP Member
Vehicle
Grand California 680
Does anyone run the Goodyear cargo vector 4season tyres?
I plan on taking trips away all through the winter up in Scotland and based on last winter I was looking at some all season tyres so I don’t need to change them during the year between summer and winter tyres.
I was keen to get the BFGs and looked at the seikel lift but the rear axle load seems to be ruling them out without having to cut away the wheel arch plastic to get the tyres with suitable load rating.
I had the cargo vector2s M+S for years on my T5 4motion and they performed brilliantly in mud and snow and lasted forever. For some reason the all weather tyre option was blocked out when I ordered my 680 otherwise I would have selected them. Did anyone get them and if so what were they?
I am not sure how good the GC 4motion will be in winter with summer tyres if it gets snowy again (big IF) or in very muddy fields.
Has anyone had a tyre fitter to successfully switch over the direct TpMS valves? Seems a bit of a shame to have to get new ones.
Just wondered if anyone is using them and if they would recommend them or an alternative. Looks like the van is going to have to just accept it’s small wheeled empty wheel arch look for the time being anyway.

Does anyone run the Goodyear cargo vector 4season tyres?
I plan on taking trips away all through the winter up in Scotland and based on last winter I was looking at some all season tyres so I don’t need to change them during the year between summer and winter tyres.
I was keen to get the BFGs and looked at the seikel lift but the rear axle load seems to be ruling them out without having to cut away the wheel arch plastic to get the tyres with suitable load rating.
I had the cargo vector2s M+S for years on my T5 4motion and they performed brilliantly in mud and snow and lasted forever. For some reason the all weather tyre option was blocked out when I ordered my 680 otherwise I would have selected them. Did anyone get them and if so what were they?
I am not sure how good the GC 4motion will be in winter with summer tyres if it gets snowy again (big IF) or in very muddy fields.
Has anyone had a tyre fitter to successfully switch over the direct TpMS valves? Seems a bit of a shame to have to get new ones.
Just wondered if anyone is using them and if they would recommend them or an alternative. Looks like the van is going to have to just accept it’s small wheeled empty wheel arch look for the time being anyway.
Cant help with the Goodyear Cargos but had the dealership change the wheels and tyres and fitting the original TPMS’s to the new Borbet wheels and Michelin Crossclimate. Great tyre changed the ride for the better.

Cant help with the Goodyear Cargos but had the dealership change the wheels and tyres and fitting the original TPMS’s to the new Borbet wheels and Michelin Crossclimate. Great tyre changed the ride for the better.
Hi @Jester would you mind sharing pics of your GC with the borbets on?
Interested to see this if you don’t mind? Thanks in advance!

I had all season Vectors on a Beach 215 x 60 R17 wide, very good tyre, hard wearing, good in wet conditions & as said above quite. A good all weather tyre With a moderate firm ride (106 rating) standard operating pressure runs at about 50 psi

I changed to Michelin Cross climate SUV 235 x 55 R17 wide, when I had my wheels replaced in summer which give a slightly softer ride (103 rating) Changed for no other reason that I wanted to put four new tyres on the four new rims and the Michelin were a cheaper tyre at the time (and well liked on this forum). Standard operating pressure about 45psi.

I have them on my Beach. They seem OK to me. Having said that the van's only done 5000 miles and I don't drive it like I've stolen it. I don't go off road unless the ground is firm and if it's muddy or icy I drive accordingly. For all other occasions they seem to do what a tyre should do. They grip well and allow me to steer and stop with confidence. They aren't noisy and seem to be wearing well. I can't tell you whether they are better or worse than other brands.

I always take comments made about tyre performance with a big pinch of salt. How can most people make a judgement about a tyre without doing side by side tests with other brands and types? Yes you can say if it's better or worse than your previous tyres but beyond that most of what you read is I suspect, just conjecture.

I agree with Borris and can add our direct comparison with cross climates and Vectors. We live in the highlands so have plenty ice and snow…. We have a beach and e-golf and have had cross climates for 5 years and swapped to vectors for the last 2. We found we got a lot of punctures with the cross climate tyres 5 in 5 years… might be the roads up here or just bad luck… no problem with the vectors in that regard so far…
I don’t notice any big difference between the 2 on snow and ice both good - not as good as winters but I don’t want the hassle to change them. Both tyres have got us up hills in snow with other vans totally stuck. So far the vectors are wearing a little better.
Recommend both but the Goodyear’s in our opinion very slightly better all round - will get them next time in a heartbeat.

Hi @Jester would you mind sharing pics of your GC with the borbets on?
Interested to see this if you don’t mind? Thanks in advance!
Evening Mr T,

Sorry not great photo but hope you get the idea.

1100E252-326A-4510-86A9-24FC191623A2.jpeg

43360143-6499-4DC3-B3AA-2D38B9FBFF38.jpeg
It’s a bit dirty, would really have liked some Black Rhinos but the offset is to great for my liking. Sure something will come along soon.
Best

Will

io have Bfg K002 and also Nokian Weaterproof Cargo.......both good

Evening Mr T,

It’s a bit dirty, would really have liked some Black Rhinos but the offset is to great for my liking. Sure something will come along soon.
Best

Will
Thanks Will, appreciate that. Nice to see different wheels on the Grand!
Chris

Thanks Will, appreciate that. Nice to see different wheels on the Grand!
Chris
Your welcome Chris, it’s really difficult to find wheels that come close to the original spec as just a little nervous if I had to make a warranty claim, say on Berings or suspension.
I may worry to much. I’ve even purchased a set of VW wheel arch trim extenders thinking the next set will be wider.
Will

Your welcome Chris, it’s really difficult to find wheels that come close to the original spec as just a little nervous if I had to make a warranty claim, say on Berings or suspension.
I may worry to much. I’ve even purchased a set of VW wheel arch trim extenders thinking the next set will be wider.
Will

You could always keep the original wheels and put them back on if there’s an issue.

Sorry if this is going slightly off topic but I saw this at Busfest (not a GC) think they are 20” I wonder what the ride is like?

AB7E480D-5753-482B-85C7-200650A44967.jpegF824F438-5135-4211-8474-5A1D2F8D1FE4.jpeg

Back