Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Driving in Spain and France

M

McDee22

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 204 4 motion
Hi

I know there are other threads on this, but I can't find a coherent, up to date source for what is required to drive in France and Spain.

Having read various conflicting pages, I am left with two specific questions:
1. Do I need two warning triangles? The AA says I do need two for Spain, the RAC says I need just one (only residents need two).
2. Do I need a hazard sign with a towbar mounted bike rack with lights? I understand in France I do not, but I'm not clear on Spain.

If anyone is able to answer and point me at a definitive source that would be great!

Many thanks

One if UK registered, two if Spainish:

No idea on the hazard sign but a number of motorhome sites just say to take one anyway - better to be safe than fined for the sake of a sign.

Hazzard sign is required in Spain on anything protruding past the rear bumper - even a tailgate rack needs it. Difficult to find any legal document in English that proves that it is needed but I've never seen anything anywhere contradicting the advice.

I have read in numerous places that the maximum projection must not exceed 10% of the length of the vehicle - there appear to be quite a few that exceed this slightly but never seen anything where anyone has been penalised for it.

Eg the Caravan & motorhome club states:

For the rear marker board, the design in Spain is 3 red and 3 white hatched, reflective stripes. In Italy, the design is 5 red and 4 white hatched, reflective stripes.
In Spain and Italy, any overhanging loads must be indicated by a square panel measuring 50cm x 50cm. The square must have reflectorized red and white diagonal stripes. Panels can be purchased from Fiamma stockists are available in aluminium and plastic. In Spain you can use either, however, in Italy the panel must be aluminium.

I’ve kind of worked on the basis that, if a driver approaching from behind needs a small square stripey sign to alert him to the presence of something 20 times it’s size, then I’m pretty much f****d !

Hi

I know there are other threads on this, but I can't find a coherent, up to date source for what is required to drive in France and Spain.

1. Do I need two warning triangles? The AA says I do need two for Spain, the RAC says I need just one (only residents need two).
2. Do I need a hazard sign with a towbar mounted bike rack with lights? I understand in France I do not, but I'm not clear on Spain.

If anyone is able to answer and point me at a definitive source that would be great!

Many thanks
Spain & France: A safety vest for all occupants (as soon as they are outside the car in the event of a breakdown or accident), one warning triangle (although I take two with me because there used to be doubts back then and it became a habit) and then the hazard sign at the back (Spain): reflective white marking board (50 x 50 cm) with three red diagonal stripes (Italy has 5 stripes and there are plates with a version on each side, this aside:D); metal or plastic. This even applies to a bicycle carrier without bicycles or a bicycle carrier in the folded position. Any bicycle carrier; and for a towbar mounted one there are also rules that are rather like everywhere (Sp & Fr). If you want to find it officially, you will have to check the Spanish/ French traffic rules regarding the equipment, you will logically find this there and this is also your definitive source ;)
Have fun in France & Spain!

Hi

Many thanks
Have never in my life brought a second triangle or a warning sign for the bike rack.

Have never in my life brought a second triangle or a warning sign for the bike rack.
What a daredevil you are ;) :cool: When the sign was a hot topic for about 10 years, it was checked a lot and fines were handed out, it was easy money for them because they just took out the foreign number plates. I can't say for sure how hard they check now, but such a sign is also extra safe and that's why I have it with me when we mount the box on our bicycle rack.
IMG_8269.jpeg
The t6.1 is of course newer than the sign because that went on the nylon bag or this box on the bicycle rack of our t4 westy for many years ;)

The signal for the rack is mandatory in Spain
95B79371-D82D-4C3F-AACC-FE4F445749AE.jpeg
For the triangles there is also this new alternative

What a daredevil you are ;) :cool: When the sign was a hot topic for about 10 years, it was checked a lot and fines were handed out, it was easy money for them because they just took out the foreign number plates. I can't say for sure how hard they check now, but such a sign is also extra safe and that's why I have it with me when we mount the box on our bicycle rack.
View attachment 110005
The t6.1 is of course newer than the sign because that went on the nylon bag or this box on the bicycle rack of our t4 westy for many years ;)
All a bit ironic really, massively reduced rear visibility from the box but a safety sign?

All a bit ironic really, massively reduced rear visibility from the box but a safety sign?
Yes, indeed. I can drive with the massively reduced visibility… behind the back. :thanks
By the way, the reason for the sign is for visibility during dark, for example if we are standing somewhere to spend the night, I think it is an extra safety with regard to the reflection, but now I have already explained enough, it should be clear by now ;)

Last edited:
The signal for the rack is mandatory in Spain
I know it's 'mandatory' in Spain. Funny thing is though, when you drive through Italy with that sign you will have to replace it mid travels by the same sign but with a different amount or spacing of the stripes. If you want to abide by the law in Italy. And don't forget that it needs to be aluminium not plastic, etc.

If you want to legally comply to all rules of all countries you pass through when travelling then you'll probably need to buy a great white just to bring along all the different hazard signs.

It doesn't mean that they actively enforce the rules. Besides, you'll get fined anyways, for driving on the wrong side of the road ;-)

I know it's 'mandatory' in Spain. Funny thing is though, when you drive through Italy with that sign you will have to replace it mid travels by the same sign but with a different amount or spacing of the stripes. If you want to abide by the law in Italy. And don't forget that it needs to be aluminium not plastic, etc.

If you want to legally comply to all rules of all countries you pass through when travelling then you'll probably need to buy a great white just to bring along all the different hazard signs.

It doesn't mean that they actively enforce the rules. Besides, you'll get fined anyways, for driving on the wrong side of the road ;-)
Each his idea about it but it is what it is and nothing wrong with doing like you should do it. By the way, you can drive around equipped with the same plate, the number of stripes of the Italian plate is ok for Spain. There are also plates with a version on both sides. It's not all that difficult, but let me just say -and try to express myself as funny as I can and not offend you- that you are an outlaw :D I guess you're okay with other regulations ;)

Last edited:
Thanks all, much appreciated!

I did look for the Spanish and French driving regulations but couldn’t locate them.

Thanks for taking the time to respond.

Each his idea about it but it is what it is and nothing wrong with doing like you should do it. By the way, you can drive around equipped with the same plate, the number of stripes of the Italian plate is ok for Spain. There are also plates with a version on both sides. It's not all that difficult, but let me just say -and try to express myself as funny as I can and not offend you- that you are an outlaw :D I guess you're okay with other regulations ;)
Of course there is nothing wrong with trying to abide by this rule, or any other rule. I fully agree. It's always smart to know the rules of the countries one passes pass through or visit.

I was trying to point out that even just within Europe there are already so many different traffic rules that it is simply impossible to abide by all. Which, I assume is one of the reasons that in most countries enforcing authorities will be relaxt about tourists not doing eveything by the book.

This specific topic and others like it, get discussed quite often on these forums because people wonder and sometimes worry. But in reality I doubt many people get fined or any accidents happen because you forgot your sign and the guy behind you didn't see your campervan and the 4 E-bikes you were towing.

Of course there is nothing wrong with trying to abide by this rule, or any other rule. I fully agree. It's always smart to know the rules of the countries one passes pass through or visit.

I was trying to point out that even just within Europe there are already so many different traffic rules that it is simply impossible to abide by all. Which, I assume is one of the reasons that in most countries enforcing authorities will be relaxt about tourists not doing eveything by the book.

This specific topic and others like it, get discussed quite often on these forums because people wonder and sometimes worry. But in reality I doubt many people get fined or any accidents happen because you forgot your sign and the guy behind you didn't see your campervan and the 4 E-bikes you were towing.
True; and this board is an example of each country and its own rules. At the time (about 10 years ago) I found it ‘necessary’ to buy one in Spain (had left home without it) when we got checked by the police and were allowed to drive to l'Escala (our final destination and only a few kilometers away) where we had to buy a sign at the local bicycle shop. As I said: I don’t know how severe they are now but I have one and it’s mounted on at the box we carry with us when we do our summertravel. Otherwise: no sign. For me it is being seen & extra visibility (reflection) for others (eg: when we stand alone somewhere separately and someone else will arrive at night).
I had been traveling in Italy a few times and then also had this sign; once all tourists were checked by the police during a stop somewhere and our metal sign with three red stripes was ok so the number of stripes - although it is described - is of no importance I think.
Happy travels

I do love the concept of “abiding by the law in Italy”

I can’t imagine why you would need a sign in Italy given the mad f*****s drive 50mm from your rear bumper?
There is so much I can't imagine either, but it's not difficult to hang a sign on it. And I continue to find its reflective nature safer than none. I keep my plate but you do what you want of course :cool:

There is also the eco-loon crit air scheme in France to think about. I could not find a 100% straightforward and comprehensive guide so we had a few days in the UK then flew to Italy and stayed air bnb instead.

Take a wrong turn in Glasgow and you get a 60 quid fine, which doubles every subsequent day you "visit" the controlled area. It is not a pay to enter scheme, it is straight to fine. I did not fancy rolling the dice in Nice, Montpellier etc etc

On the M4 motorway approaching PortTalbot the Speed limit has been reduced to 50 mph. This according to those that know better than us plebs is to reduce pollution. Port Talbot is one of the most polluted places in the UK and it doesn’t have anything to do with the traffic traveling on the M4.

On the M4 motorway approaching PortTalbot the Speed limit has been reduced to 50 mph. This according to those that know better than us plebs is to reduce pollution. Port Talbot is one of the most polluted places in the UK and it doesn’t have anything to do with the traffic traveling on the M4.
Shouldn't there be an argument for raising the speed limit there to say 90mph so that drivers are not exposed to the pollution for as long?

Possible 200 euro fine in Spain for not having one. Although we had two bikes no warning stripes and were follwed by a police car for miles without incident.

Possible 200 euro fine in Spain for not having one. Although we had two bikes no warning stripes and were follwed by a police car for miles without incident.
It applies in Portugal too. Got fined in 2019 for not having a hazard warning sign. Never take the bikes anywhere without it now . It aldo
Makes a great stand for a fire bowl
if you don’t want to burn the grass!

I understand that the Spanish authorities will be ditching the triage in the near future as them deem it unsafe. No one see’s the silly little triangle and you have to walk back towards oncoming traffic which is dangerous. Take a look at this solution which avoids that dangerous walk and is much more visible from longer distances. It’s easy to install too. https://www.be-seen-screen.co.uk/

…triangle not triage and “as they deem it unsafe” … typed too fast!!

Back