Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Driving in Spain and France

Hi all - I have a follow up question.

How do you safely attach the warning square if you're not using a bike cover? I read about bike covers getting damaged due to wind whilst driving, and a lot of people seem to therefore only use them when parked up for security, but with that in mind I can't see how the plastic warning sign has a hope of staying attached and in one piece with cord?

How do you safely attach the warning square if you're not using a bike cover? I read about bike covers getting damaged due to wind whilst driving, and a lot of people seem to therefore only use them when parked up for security, but with that in mind I can't see how the plastic warning sign has a hope of staying attached and in one piece with cord?
Just returned from a two month trip Italy and France two bikes on a tow bar mounted bike rack. Quickly got fed up of taking the cover on and off so just fixed the hazard plate directly to the bikes with bungee cords, like you was slightly concerned it was going to stay in place but covered over a 1000 miles like this at speeds up to 110 Km/hr without issue. Surprising really as when the cover is on it does seem to flap around a lot but no evidence of the plate even moving.

In Spain V20 signal is mandatory when the payload exceeds the vehicle length, which always happens when using a bike rack. The “guardia civil” can fine you.

bike straps (bungee cords). Our sign is made of metal and has a hole on each corner; if there are none: make some: very easy.

Just returned from a two month trip Italy and France two bikes on a tow bar mounted bike rack. Quickly got fed up of taking the cover on and off so just fixed the hazard plate directly to the bikes with bungee cords, like you was slightly concerned it was going to stay in place but covered over a 1000 miles like this at speeds up to 110 Km/hr without issue. Surprising really as when the cover is on it does seem to flap around a lot but no evidence of the plate even moving.
Thanks, good to know! Did you have the plastic or aluminium one?

Information on where to get the signs :

If you are planning to go to Spain and Italy you need 2 different signs or double sided like this one.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B099PYXVVG/?tag=eliteelect-21

Spain only you can get one from Decathlon.

The signal for the rack is mandatory in Spain
View attachment 110006
For the triangles there is also this new alternative
Has anyone brought a warning of this type yet, if so where from and does it look easy to use. Will save getting out of the vehicle .

A bit of the translation " These devices, which replace the warning triangles of danger and which, as of January 2026, will be the only devices admitted, are a small beacon that emits a 360º, high-intensity, intermittent yellow light for at least 30 minutes."

Has anyone brought a warning of this type yet, if so where from and does it look easy to use. Will save getting out of the vehicle .

A bit of the translation " These devices, which replace the warning triangles of danger and which, as of January 2026, will be the only devices admitted, are a small beacon that emits a 360º, high-intensity, intermittent yellow light for at least 30 minutes."
Not got one yet myself.

I've never really understood this triangle/square hazard panel thing. Do drivers on the Continent really collide with the bikes on bike racks that project about 100cm from the back of a 3.5 tonne campervan that's equipped with normal tail and brake lights?

Last edited:
I've never really understood this triangle thing. Do drivers on the Continent really collide with the bikes on bike racks that project about 100cm from the back of a 3.5 tonne campervan that's equipped with normal tail and brake lights?
In the UK tow bar bike rack has lights and a numberplate and so does one in Spain but the addition of a sign with white and red lines. The bikes high up on a VW van or motorhome do not have lights on them so maybe an additional sign is of use on them but not sure what they add if the rack or trailer has a lighting bar.
However to it easy to just add one as required and not get fined.

I have seen protruding pipes and other long things on the back of vans with a red cloth hanging from them I assume it is the same principle. Also trucks and large loads have Projections markers.

Last edited:
Thanks, good to know! Did you have the plastic or aluminium one?
So this one has already lasted more than 10 years: metal and bought in Spain with light coercion from the police there; Visited Italy several times (and had a check on it) and everything is ok. So don't worry too much: having one is good enough: how many stripes or from which material is of secondary importance. We are going to the Spanish Basque Country soon and so we have him with us again. Have a nice trip!
IMG_8531.jpeg

Last edited:
You can buy one on decathlon or Amazon

It doesn’t matter which kind of rack you are using, you must use it. It’s a stupid law…but it is what it is

D2F1536C-EF9C-4B1E-BC46-F2BEC82C63CE.jpeg

To make it more stupid..if your bike width is larger than the van (like this photo) you should use 2

Afternoon everyone , does anyone know of this is needed just for Spain / Italy or France as well??

Heading to France then Spain and wondering if I should just stick it on now ?

Thanks

A5533C18-272A-4584-B18C-31F8746DAAB4.jpeg

Afternoon everyone , does anyone know of this is needed just for Spain / Italy or France as well??

Heading to France then Spain and wondering if I should just stick it on now ?

Thanks

View attachment 112260
Spain and Italy not France as far as I can find out but why not put it on anyway then you will not forget to take it. Your are however obscuring your number plate in this picture, does it show in reality?

Last edited:
Spain and Italy not France as far as I can find out but why not put it on anyway then you will not forget to take it. Your are however obscuring your number plate in this picture, does it show in reality?
Yes it shows in reality under the bike rack no issues - thank you

I've been driving through Italy every summer with a rear bike rack.
I keep the red/white sign in the cabin and two bungees. If I will ever be asked to, I'll put it on.
So far, in many many years, it never happened.
Your mileage may vary

I keep the red/white sign in the cabin and two bungees. If I will ever be asked to, I'll put it on.
Your mileage may vary
Some years ago my first time in Italy: had control; a year before: Spain, ‘asked’ by the police to buy one and they followed until the next village where I bought one.
So, two opposite experiences but that one must have one on the back is a certainty.

Your mileage may vary
If it is in the Cali anyway why not just put it on?

Back