motacyclist

motacyclist

Colin
Super Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
Cali now sold
Well just my luck!

After umming and ahhing for some time I bought a Mavic drone a couple of weeks ago. Had visions of posting some nice pics in “View from/of your Cali” on here, etc etc.

First thing I did was crash it into the chandelier, fortunately I managed to patch the drone up (not bothered personally about the chandelier, in contrast to Mrs).

Now it looks like anyone with a drone will be a social outcast and a menace to society! :headbang

Have to do some stealth droning. :(

Signed ..... gadget man. :D

Well just my luck!

After umming and ahhing for some time I bought a Mavic drone a couple of weeks ago. Had visions of posting some nice pics in “View from/of your Cali” on here, etc etc.

First thing I did was crash it into the chandelier, fortunately I managed to patch the drone up (not bothered personally about the chandelier, in contrast to Mrs).

Now it looks like anyone with a drone will be a social outcast and a menace to society! :headbang

Have to do some stealth droning. :(

Signed ..... gadget man. :D

I had one crash into my Cali last Sunday. Cali appears unscathed, drone in pieces.

Follow my blog: www.au-revoir.eu

We've had one crash into a house a few doors up, it ended up being stuck on the roof. Interestingly the owner never came forward to reclaim his damaged drone.

I sure as with a lot of things there are some very responsible owners out there who stick to the guidelines. But I do think their use seems to be getting out of hand especially as the range and technology has filtered down to even the most basic of drones. It must be time to look at some way to licence / track.....and off course shoot them down is needed.

Such a shame a few have spoilt it for the many. I only use mine in remote places
as really don’t like other people flying them near me.
Might be a good time to buy shares in anti drone equipment manufacturers.

Just imagine how many Santa is currently loading onto his sled. :Nailbiting

Such a shame a few have spoilt it for the many. I only use mine in remote places.
It’s always the way - cyclists, bikers, wild campers, even Audi drivers all suffer from the actions of a few anti social individuals who ruin it for everyone else.

Only use mine if there’s no one around, I don’t want to cause any resentment or attract any attention.

Only use mine if there’s no one around, I don’t want to cause any resentment or attract any attention.
Colin, you should be free to use your Audi whenever you want. :D

Such a shame a few have spoilt it for the many. I only use mine in remote places
as really don’t like other people flying them near me.
Might be a good time to buy shares in anti drone equipment manufacturers.

Great location.
Where were you

Only use mine in remote places too. I personally think making them licensed even for recreational use is a good idea. A little test and education is key, the drone code isnt really enough for some.

My brother has been flying remote control planes for 40 years, I really don’t see what the difference is between these and ‘drones’, apart from the word ‘drone’...which sounds scary and grabs headlines.

It’s not as if they are autonomous flying killing machines...yet :)

Anyone can fly a drone more or less a bit of skill is needed for an rc aircraft.

Well as a CAA licenced drone operator this isn't doing anyone any good. Although new laws are coming in next year regarding registering drones and owners having to take a basic test this isn't going to stop the Gatwick situation and people who just don't care about what they do causing problems. The problem is that it is too easy to buy one without any proper training. As already said, they are relatively easy to fly, but probably 90% come out of the box without people knowing or caring about doing proper setup and preflight checks which is when problems occur. I really don't get why the police didn't just fly another drone up to it and crash it. Seems a simple solution to me, dead police drone but the cost is negligible compared with the chaos caused.

Well as a CAA licenced drone operator this isn't doing anyone any good. Although new laws are coming in next year regarding registering drones and owners having to take a basic test this isn't going to stop the Gatwick situation and people who just don't care about what they do causing problems. The problem is that it is too easy to buy one without any proper training. As already said, they are relatively easy to fly, but probably 90% come out of the box without people knowing or caring about doing proper setup and preflight checks which is when problems occur. I really don't get why the police didn't just fly another drone up to it and crash it. Seems a simple solution to me, dead police drone but the cost is negligible compared with the chaos caused.
As usual though the health and safety element must be considered over and above everything else. A crashed drone (just) might hit someone and it seems that on this basis alone crashing or shooting down a drone was considered inappropriate or too risky! :headbang:headbang:headbang:headbang
I am glad that shooting them down is now being considered :thumb - good to see such fast decision making on the part of the Police, the Airport Police, the Military etc. ;)

Mine is staying indoors.

I'm underneath a LGW flight path :shocked

Anyway, with my son back home in America it's time to sell it, should have done that in 2017.

I have a drone, I love the creative possibilities it offers (as a photographer) and I hate the noise from my own drone and even more the noise and intrusion into my private space of other drones flying around.

So I'm only flying in remote areas where nobody is around. For other occasions, I probably need some sessions with a mental coach.

Of course, they should be hevily regulated or banned, considering a 0 fatalities they caused worldwide. We already solved the issues of automotive industry, be it professional or recreational but still killing thousands every day. Just a normal paranoya to new things and of course govermet's will to have overcontroll on everything.
Gatwick incident looked too planned as a perfect start for such discussions and rage. Takes minutes to catch some stupid kid with a lazer toy flashing on pilots but, 1) nobody saw or filmed a huge industrial drone 2) police and army were not able to locate or ground it over 20 hours.
Seems some swallowed this propaganda hard. Bon appetite :)
It is easier to fly a paraglider today than a 400g toy today :D

I really don't get why the police didn't just fly another drone up to it and crash it. Seems a simple solution to me, dead police drone but the cost is negligible compared with the chaos caused.
Because there was a goal to cause chaos not prevent it. 100% success imho.

As a Cali and Mavic drone owner, I’m with briwy and spooks comments...

As calis and drones have “freedom” (at least) in common I was pleasantly pleased to see a more balanced debate on here...

There are a few conspiracy theories going around. As the most surveilled and unf one of the most terrorist aware countries in the world, I cannot believe the sec forces do not have the eqpt to down a drone.

As pilots have been visibly lobbying for more clearance between planes and drones (I agree), then it must have been on the air ind agenda. I would love to see the risk assessments on drones at Gatwick....

Also, with all the long lens and the worlds paparazzi there, how come there isn’t ONE defo pic of it? PS I’m not saying it was a plastic bag (which is the usual cause).

We (UK) are the worlds laughing stock ATM. Well at least the govt did a great job of brexit

Back