Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Drones

Also, with all the long lens and the worlds paparazzi there, how come there isn’t ONE defo pic of it? PS I’m not saying it was a plastic bag (which is the usual cause).
Yeah, reminds me of the blurry photos you see of the Loch Ness monster! :D

Such a shame a few have spoilt it for the many. I only use mine in remote places
as really don’t like other people flying them near me.
Might be a good time to buy shares in anti drone equipment manufacturers.
I total agree. Wonderful footage! Happy 2019!

As usual though the health and safety element must be considered over and above everything else. A crashed drone (just) might hit someone and it seems that on this basis alone crashing or shooting down a drone was considered inappropriate or too risky! :headbang:headbang:headbang:headbang
I am glad that shooting them down is now being considered :thumb - good to see such fast decision making on the part of the Police, the Airport Police, the Military etc. ;)

I have (obviously) no experience with trying to shoot down a pesky drone, but I have had military experience with various types of small arms. So here's my armchair analysis FWIW.

If it was possible to get close enough to a drone to use a shotgun, ie a few tens of metres, then I assume that would be ideal and the only hazard would be dead drone components falling onto (presumably) the airfield. The same would be true of a 'less-lethal' munition such as a plastic small arms round, but again the effective range for those is extremely short.

However a more powerful, longer range, weapon would probably have to be a sniper's rifle or similar. This introduces the very real risk of a high velocity round (even one that has first passed through the structure of the drone in a direct hit) ending up several kilometers beyond the intended target. It might be pretty unlikely to hit someone on the ground, but if it did so then it could certainly kill them.

In some parts of the world the habit of 'celebratory gunfire' (eg firing your AK47 into the air to mark your cousin's wedding, or your party getting elected) does frequently end up injuring or killing people several streets away. What goes up must come down.

So I could well understand that a decision to use a military weapon against a drone near an inhabited area would not be contemplated lightly.

I have (obviously) no experience with trying to shoot down a pesky drone, but I have had military experience with various types of small arms. So here's my armchair analysis FWIW.

If it was possible to get close enough to a drone to use a shotgun, ie a few tens of metres, then I assume that would be ideal and the only hazard would be dead drone components falling onto (presumably) the airfield. The same would be true of a 'less-lethal' munition such as a plastic small arms round, but again the effective range for those is extremely short.

However a more powerful, longer range, weapon would probably have to be a sniper's rifle or similar. This introduces the very real risk of a high velocity round (even one that has first passed through the structure of the drone in a direct hit) ending up several kilometers beyond the intended target. It might be pretty unlikely to hit someone on the ground, but if it did so then it could certainly kill them.

In some parts of the world the habit of 'celebratory gunfire' (eg firing your AK47 into the air to mark your cousin's wedding, or your party getting elected) does frequently end up injuring or killing people several streets away. What goes up must come down.

So I could well understand that a decision to use a military weapon against a drone near an inhabited area would not be contemplated lightly.
Thanks for sharing your experience/s. Points taken! Nonetheless it's still very frustrating for all concerned.

Thanks for sharing your experience/s. Points taken! Nonetheless it's still very frustrating for all concerned.

Thanks, but really I'm only speculating, albeit from a slightly informed base! :Grin

Glad I've got no flights booked over the Xmas period. Enjoy the break everyone, wherever you are.

Thanks, but really I'm only speculating, albeit from a slightly informed base! :Grin

Glad I've got no flights booked over the Xmas period. Enjoy the break everyone, wherever you are.
After a 24 hour delay, my sister-in-law, niece and nephew flew out of Gatwick yesterday to the Spanish sunshine.

Follow my blog: www.au-revoir.eu

I was told by someone associated with the air industry that there is technology capable of preventing drones flying over airfields, but it's only legal to use it at military sites.
Having said that I suppose they would still cause danger if they were not over the airport but in one of the flight paths.

So police already stating there could have been no drone involved. Suspected couple released after 26 hours without charges. What a dumb paranoid world... And another airport disrupted but without a drone this time.
Sad that most just swallow the news titles and go raging. You just can't take serious the modern "news" anymore.

So police already stating there could have been no drone involved. Suspected couple released after 26 hours without charges. What a dumb paranoid world... And another airport disrupted but without a drone this time.
Sad that most just swallow the news titles and go raging. You just can't take serious the modern "news" anymore.

https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/gatwick.28028/

The police are backtracking on that one statement by a (rogue) police spokesman. They now say that there were 62 reported sightings by the public, airport staff and police officers, and they have found one broken drone.

I do feel sorry for the hapless window fitter, incarcerated and interrogated for 36 hours because of a phone call to Crimestoppers from a neighbour he upset by mowing his lawn on a Sunday afternoon several years ago.

Follow my blog: www.au-revoir.eu

I do feel sorry for the hapless window fitter, incarcerated and interrogated for 36 hours because of a phone call to Crimestoppers from a neighbour he upset by mowing his lawn on a Sunday afternoon several years ago.

And to add insult to injury, to have your photo on the Mail on Sunday with the headline "Are these the morons who ruined Christmas?”.

(I'm tempted to say, no harm done because it's only morons that read that one anyway. But I won't, because it's Christmas Eve. And I'm going to take our local butcher's advice just now of bagsying the best armchair at home and getting a head start on a bottle of port through a straw. Happy Christmas everyone!)

:cheers

As an aside from all this mess, MattBW and myself spoke a while about setting up a talk about drones at a Cali meet if anyone is interested. We know quite a few Cali owners are already drone users (or could well be thinking about it) so we are not trying to be smarty pants or teach granny to suck eggs, just passing on helpful tips and tricks we have learnt over the years and bringing along a few different drones that people can have a look at and see what would be best for them if thinking about buying.
If anyone is interested just post on here and we will see what could be sorted out.

As an aside from all this mess, MattBW and myself spoke a while about setting up a talk about drones at a Cali meet if anyone is interested. We know quite a few Cali owners are already drone users (or could well be thinking about it) so we are not trying to be smarty pants or teach granny to suck eggs, just passing on helpful tips and tricks we have learnt over the years and bringing along a few different drones that people can have a look at and see what would be best for them if thinking about buying.
If anyone is interested just post on here and we will see what could be sorted out.

Great idea @MattBW and @briwy! IMO one of the ways to go/how to handle drones

Yes, good idea, interested. :thumb

BTW mine is a Mavic Pro Platinum.

Calis and drones go well together, just as Calis go well with many hobbies. :)

I would be interested.

Toyed with getting a Dji Phantom 4 pro but I sadly lack any form of knowledge on the subject or experience.

I also seem to suffer from travel sickness so controlling a drone by monitor may be a step too far for my mind / eye / body.:mute

Matt and I spoke again about this yesterday at the Open Day and we put forward the idea of putting something together for the meet at Slimbridge later in the year if enough folks are interested.
If you would like this to happen please post on here and if enough people respond we will go ahead with it. We should be able to perhaps even let people have a taster under supervision if the weather is suitable and we can can get permission.
As mentioned, this will be a light hearted affair passing on and exchanging knowledge between us about drone regs, flying a drone and getting the best photos and videos.

Matt and I spoke again about this yesterday at the Open Day and we put forward the idea of putting something together for the meet at Slimbridge later in the year if enough folks are interested.
If you would like this to happen please post on here and if enough people respond we will go ahead with it. We should be able to perhaps even let people have a taster under supervision if the weather is suitable and we can can get permission.
As mentioned, this will be a light hearted affair passing on and exchanging knowledge between us about drone regs, flying a drone and getting the best photos and videos.
I’d be interested :thumb

I’m a big fan of me having a drone. I am considerate to others when I fly. Most of the time if there is anyone around they are fascinated to see it and the footage it gets. I think it’s the perfect compliment to the California. Allows an amazing new angle to the wonderful wild places your steed will take you.
96B9E762-7A9A-4673-BE93-23792648B178.jpegDAAC360D-DA3F-4B03-8E32-69DDA2C41655.jpeg688D03A4-AEF6-45E7-8EA9-9ED740B65C2D.jpegA6DAFA84-8F67-405F-8B3C-BBF5D62CEC8E.jpeg

Such a shame a few have spoilt it for the many. I only use mine in remote places
as really don’t like other people flying them near me.
Might be a good time to buy shares in anti drone equipment manufacturers.
Stunning scenery. Is that Iceland?

I have a drone, I love the creative possibilities it offers (as a photographer) and I hate the noise from my own drone and even more the noise and intrusion into my private space of other drones flying around.

So I'm only flying in remote areas where nobody is around. For other occasions, I probably need some sessions with a mental coach.
How do you know nobody is around? Do you use the drone to check for about 5 square miles?I was at Malham recently and drones are disturbing the rare peregrine falcon nests there. Signs are up but as usual people ignore them

Back