Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Drop into Ocean

W

Winger

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
Hi All, just taken ownership of a new California Ocean in Starlight Blue. New to campervan life so steep learning curve although not new to camping life as have done most of the other types - tents, trailer tents and Caravans.
Want to use as every day vehicle too so any advice insurance and best insurers with sensible premiums would be greatly appreciated!

Welcome to the forum. We also recently took delivery of a Starlight Blue Ocean. A great choice of colour.

Insurance is a roller coaster at the moment. Lots of posts about wild fluctuations in price for the same spec vans from the main insurers.

We seem to have struck the jackpot with an annualised cost of £235 from LV, based on our multi car policy expiring in October. (Full NCB, no claims or convictions, van parked on drive overnight, 10k miles p.a).
But from other posts, I think we are very lucky.

Sorry to be the bearer of potentially bad news, but one thing I would urge you to do as soon as possible is to put up your pop top roof facing into wind when you have moderate rain and wind.

You may have already seen the long thread about leaking roof bellows but if not it is worth looking at the last ten pages or so :

Look also at the poll which is currently running :

In no way do I want to spoil the experience of your new Cali and I hesitated to even mention the bellows issue in my reply. But I think you need to be aware of the potential problem and establish if your bellows are affected as soon as possible. Hopefully yours are OK, but sadly for some of us they are not.

Hi All, just taken ownership of a new California Ocean in Starlight Blue. New to campervan life so steep learning curve although not new to camping life as have done most of the other types - tents, trailer tents and Caravans.
Want to use as every day vehicle too so any advice insurance and best insurers with sensible premiums would be greatly appreciated!
I’m the same. Using it as a car 8000 miles £560 ish caravan guard.

Thanks for the info my quotes are much higher than that. Do you know what category the alarm/immobiliser is?

Thanks for the info my quotes are much higher than that. Do you know what category the alarm/immobiliser is?
If it’s a requirement for insurance, it will likely need to be an S5 tracker.
If you are looking for an immobiliser, check out the Autowatch Ghost 2.

Standard Thatcham 1 alarm & Imobiliser.

Welcome to the forum. We also recently took delivery of a Starlight Blue Ocean. A great choice of colour.

Insurance is a roller coaster at the moment. Lots of posts about wild fluctuations in price for the same spec vans from the main insurers.

We seem to have struck the jackpot with an annualised cost of £235 from LV, based on our multi car policy expiring in October. (Full NCB, no claims or convictions, van parked on drive overnight, 10k miles p.a).
But from other posts, I think we are very lucky.

Sorry to be the bearer of potentially bad news, but one thing I would urge you to do as soon as possible is to put up your pop top roof facing into wind when you have moderate rain and wind.

You may have already seen the long thread about leaking roof bellows but if not it is worth looking at the last ten pages or so :

Look also at the poll which is currently running :

In no way do I want to spoil the experience of your new Cali and I hesitated to even mention the bellows issue in my reply. But I think you need to be aware of the potential problem and establish if your bellows are affected as soon as possible. Hopefully yours are OK, but sadly for some of us they are not.
We are with LV and a similar premium. They have the benefit that they understand what a California is and they handled a no fault claim last year very well indeed.

I tried some of the brokers mentioned on this forum, but when you look at their claim handling reviews I’d be very wary of going down that route.

Back