Dropped a knife in the dash

ThomasHJ

ThomasHJ

Top Poster
VIP Member
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 140
Well, my wife did, but I'm the one who wants to fix it. Placed it on teh dash and it roled in. Is there any way to open up the upper part of the dash to get to the area below? I can't seem to see the knife btw.

Well, my wife did, but I'm the one who wants to fix it. Placed it on teh dash and it roled in. Is there any way to open up the upper part of the dash to get to the area below? I can't seem to see the knife btw.
Buy this for when you've fished out the knife

Argh annoying ha. If it doesn’t rattle I’d just leave it. Recently had the windscreen replaced on my vw golf, couldn’t believe all the junk that had fallen down the gap over the years.

Been waiting for an excuse to get one of those endoscopic camera's.

What you need is a hack saw blade , slip it down into the gap at the back of the dash under the knife and "oh b#gger"

Easily done. Checked onto a campsite last week. Put the bundle of tickets (Inc swimming pool wristband bands) on the dash 'while I parked up'. Guess were the pool access wristband went...?
Luckily saved by the press-stud, but lesson learned. Needed gaffer tape on a thin ruler to rescue it. I'll be sending off for a blocker thing.

Does this gap serving any purpose? Ventilation outlet? Probably not but would closing it with a solid rubber create some issues? I am thinking using a mesh strip which will prevent things to drop down but also allow for air circulation if it is needed. Fabricated one already.

Does this gap serving any purpose? Ventilation outlet? Probably not but would closing it with a solid rubber create some issues? I am thinking using a mesh strip which will prevent things to drop down but also allow for air circulation if it is needed. Fabricated one already.
I would expect the demisting air flow to emenate from that area. The gap is essential if the Project Camper windscreen cover is to be installed. Just remember not to sit anything on the dash that might be small enough to fall down the gap, especially that tuna sarney.

No. It is not part of the Heating Ventilation system. All Transporter based vehicles have it.
Used in the California T5/5.1/ ?6 to secure the supplied windscreen blind.

Back