Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Do you have OCD?

Borris

Borris

Super Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
I have often seen the comment that the California is a Swiss army knife kind of vehicle. Like the Swiss army knife the California can do many things well and everything has its place. Anyone buying a Cali quickly finds out that to harmonise with their new purchase and get the most out of it, you really need to have a system. So the question is, does this vehicle tend to attract more people who have a touch of OCD (Obsessive Compulsive Disorder) than those who don't.

In other words,

1. Do you like everthing to be tickety boo?

Or

2. Are you happy to store it where you last dropped it?

:thumb

Yes, I agree..... I have OCD.... This is a common trait amongst engineers/troubleshooters also, which is my job.

My OH is a Teacher, and definitely not OCD.... So, it's very much me who keeps the Cali "just so" and enacts all the "procedures" etc.

I have the OCD most of the time, then things go to pot for a while.

I said in another post that I think the Cali offers a chance to get 'everything perfect and ordered' - a chance that is out of reach to most of us at home, particularly with kids.

You get one OCD point for every £ you've spent at Brandrup, and 0.5 points for every £ you've spent in IKEA on Cali items.

1. Do you like everthing to be tickety boo?
Yes - by the bucket full. That'll be a precisely filled 5 litre bucket, exactly to the 5 litre line checked three times on a level surface.
You should have seen my mindmap and decision tree for buying the van, then the pre-acceptance checklist for collecting the van. Plus now the packing list used each time for going on tour, the checklist for monthly maintenance, my labelled boxes for the kitchen cupboards....

BTW I think the D in OCD should be redefined as an O for Order, as there should be no disorder!

OCO :cool:

Yes, I agree..... I have OCD.... This is a common trait amongst engineers/troubleshooters also, which is my job.

My OH is a Teacher, and definitely not OCD.... So, it's very much me who keeps the Cali "just so" and enacts all the "procedures" etc.
Glad it's not just me!

Most definitely OCD where the Cali is concerned. Everything has to in its place , cushions straight, throw unruffled on bench seat, swept carpets, utensils and pots in correct order etc, complete opposite to my own home.

I have it too.
So does my daughter, so when I arrange something, she'll rearrange it, then I'll rearrange it and so it goes on.
Of course I arrange it orderly not her.
The latest episode was the angle of the small camper van that sits on her dressing table. She keeps getting the angle wrong :embarrased

I think anywhere that space is limited, narrow boats, studio flats, and so on there has to be a fair bit of OCD or you wouldn't be able to survive. If things don't go back in their place, you can't get the next thing out.
The problem comes when there are two of you sharing the same small space and you have to agree where things have to go.

I can sympathise with you. Whilst I have strong OCD tendencies, I sometimes think that Mrs B sees our Cali as a large space to fill with assorted bags of knitting, needle work projects, jigsaws, thick clothing just in case....etc etc. Then there's the shopping. We can never pass a branch of Sainsburys without filling a few more orange bags with assorted provisions. I should really have bought a second hand Sainsbury's home delivery van instead. :headbang

Our van is just the D in OCD.

The only thing that winds me up is Mrs Amarillo's persistent use of the hole in the top of the uncomfortable dash as a fruit bowl.

Follow my blog: www.au-revoir.eu

but that's about itAlfie most of the time is the epitome of disorderly progress.

I am a little bit organised, such as I always sit in the drivers seat and I have kept my plates and cutlery in the same place for the last three weeks but that's about it :shocked

OMG!! Discovered!! My OH is well used to my "Engineering" approach to Cali life! If that means I am more than a tad OCD in respect of things having their place.......then I am guilty as charged! But then I always know where the keys are...
Oh also, did I mention this? More evidence - I also own a BMW Z4 which is eight years old.....my local dealer says they have never, never seen a better kept example....

No. I don't have time.

I am totally disorganised at home but in the Cali things are far better. BUT I travel on my own. I can’t imagine having to share the space with someone else

There’s two of us but fortunately we both have OCD or the marriage would probably not survive a long trip in the Cali. As she doesn’t read this board I will admit that I’m probably worse. Sshh.

Mike

There’s two of us but fortunately we both have OCD or the marriage would probably not survive a long trip in the Cali. As she doesn’t read this board I will admit that I’m probably worse. Sshh.

Mike
I promise not to say anything at the Dorset meet next weekend Mike

I am definitely OCD - if something has a designated storage area, why wouldn't you put it back in that place when you've used it??!!! Unfortunately my husband missed out on that gene. Marital harmony is not always maintained .... it was stretched in the caravan but in the cali it can get close to breaking point from time to time. Looking at it from his point of view though, he HATES cushions, rugs and throws, and I appear to have filled the cali with these to compensate for the Germanic greyness. We work round our differences, and have lasted 26 years together so far .....

My answer is, management packs everything other than the boot.
When I want something, I ask for it, she gets it , gives it to me, I do what ever and give it her back. She puts it away.
Bliss.

My answer is, management packs everything other than the boot.
When I want something, I ask for it, she gets it , gives it to me, I do what ever and give it her back. She puts it away.
Bliss.
Oooo!

I ask management for something. Management says try looking in the ... I look in the ... and it isn't there. I tell management that it isn't in the ... and management says that she never said it was in the ... just that I should look in the ...

Another near divorce follows.

Follow my blog: www.au-revoir.eu

Back