Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

DSG GEARBOX - OIL CAPACITY?

P

Punchy England

Vehicle
T5 SE 180
My reputable garage have sad they can change the oil but only if their equipment can measure the level electronically or know what the capacity is. There is no level plug so they could measure how much they drain out but this could be wrong.
Can you help with the oil capacity please?

My reputable garage have sad they can change the oil but only if their equipment can measure the level electronically or know what the capacity is. There is no level plug so they could measure how much they drain out but this could be wrong.
Can't help with the volume but it is a little bit more involved than just draining and refilling. It all has to be done within a certain controlled temperature range so I gather. If your garage is unsure of the correct technique then, personally, I would be going to someone who does. This is an expensive part of the drive train that will last a long time if properly serviced and easily destroyed if not.

This video gives an insight into what's required.

Better T5 one with detailed info on DIY

Last edited:
What a monumental faff!!

What a monumental faff!!
Much easier for the experts. Apart from DIY satisfaction it's not that cost effective and at least you get a 2yr warranty from VW.

He’s clearly no expert, he poured most of the oil all over the driveway!

for some jobs it is in the end cheaper to let us get ripped off by vw.

Its not that bad to do if you have the gear, you need a refill plug, a vag com, you need to be able to get under the vehicle raised a bit and also level, it can also be a bit messy, I found the worst bit was changing the oil filter.

Much easier for the experts. Apart from DIY satisfaction it's not that cost effective and at least you get a 2yr warranty from VW.
I have seen mention of VW not replacing the filter which would indicate to check with VW what they will replace before getting them to do the job.

I have seen mention of VW not replacing the filter which would indicate to check with VW what they will replace before getting them to do the job.
Not surprised it’s a bit of a pain.

Back