Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Engine oil

drmanhattan

drmanhattan

VIP Member
Hi.
Whilst checking the engine oil level in my 180 DSG California I noticed it needed a top-up. What engine oil can I use and what is considered the best for this vehicle?

Thanks.

The best is the right one - be super careful and get the one that the manual says is correct and has the correct VW approvals.

Don't have the details to hand but suggest popping into the dealer or taking your manual into Halfwits and checking your self.

Yes it's expensive too but cheaper than invalidating your warranty - (be warned, I'm damned sure a VW dealer stuffed an oils change on a Touran I had and the engine blew up soon after, they were very cagey when I suggested this and a new boxed engine arrived soon after - year three of the warranty too so they had to foot the bill, 3rd year warranty is down to the dealer not VW on passenger vehicles....)

sebking said:
3rd year warranty is down to the dealer not VW on passenger vehicles....)

3rd Year of warranty is provided by VW UK, 1st 2 years from the factory as you state.

Also beware as the dealers can have the oil analysed fairly easily if problems arise & they suspect it as a cause.

I see Castrol Edge 5W-30 oil is listed as one that meets the VW 507 00 requirement (as specified in the manual). Costs about £40 for 4 litres. Anyone else gone for this, or is there a better alternative?

Hi, Yes i wanted to take some spare oil away with me last year on a 6 week round trip to Venice from west wales incase a top up was required during the trip. My cali had only done 4000 miles and hadn't had a service at that point being on the longlife service schedule. The dealership recommended Castrol Edge 5W-30 as the best option and confirmed it wouldn't affect the longlife service schedule. As it happened i covered over 4000 miles on the trip and never had any need to top up but still have the back up 1lt if ever needed.
cheers Keith.

Back