Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

DSG gearbox recall

KernowLad

Gone, but not forgotten!
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150 4Motion
Now I know this is a bit naughty but after all the stick I got for choosing (and wanting) a manual over a DSG box (having chosen most other options), I thought some of you might find this interesting…

https://www.automotiveworld.com/analysi ... -haunt-vw/ ;)

It's not clear exactly what models it affects but might be worth a look if you have DSG.

LOL! I shall bear it in mind next time I am driving my Cali in China - or the climate here becomes hot and humid (I wish!!)

According to the BBC website:

German carmaker Volkswagen has announced a recall of about 2.6 million cars worldwide, including 640,000 in China, a crucial growth market.

The recall affects a range of models that may have problems with lights, leaking fuel lines and the wrong type of engine oil.

Doesn't look like anything for DSG in the UK at all.

cheers

But what about this line:

Another 1.6 million cars and vans may have problems caused by the use of a synthetic oil in their gear boxes.

Via another news source, that problems is only with DSG boxes.

KernowLad said:
Now I know this is a bit naughty but after all the stick I got for choosing (and wanting) a manual over a DSG box (having chosen most other options), I thought some of you might find this interesting…

https://www.automotiveworld.com/analysi ... -haunt-vw/ ;)

It's not clear exactly what models it affects but might be worth a look if you have DSG.

It wasn't stick over gearbox choice

Stick would suggest manual and you're pro DSG and very pro your BMW.

Eh? That makes no sense.
The auto in the car is fine but it's now a long way behind the 8 speed ZF auto used in the M135i I want next.
I'm pro "whatever box suits the vehicle in question."

James said:
You mentioned your BMW again

My god you're an over sensitive wee soul aren't you? Won't respond to anything I post unless it's a dig about DSG or my car. YOU brought up the BM, I just said "my car" FFS.

You're a very odd chap James. There's some weird issues going on in your head.

KernowLad said:
James said:
You mentioned your BMW again

My god you're an over sensitive wee soul aren't you? Won't respond to anything I post unless it's a dig about DSG or my car. YOU brought up the BM, I just said "my car" FFS.

You're a very odd chap James. There's some weird issues going on in your head.

Well… That's possibly true.

Quick bit of googling and it looks like it is the DQ 200 (DSG 7 Speed gearbox that is being recalled). It looks like the transporter has a DQ 500, so we might be OK.

Either way it looks pretty non-intrusive - only effects humid countries and stop go traffic - so we should be fine until next years summer holiday.

Also it is only an oil change from synthetic to mineral oil so not a big deal.

T

I had a Suzuki years back that came as standard with fully synthetic but it was too slippy. Lots of clutch slip. Had a recall to swap back to mineral.

Californiaman said:
fully synthetic but it was too slippy.

:laugh2 :laugh2 I like that. Oil doesn't have much of a job description, but slippy is deffo in there I'm sure.

Going back a few years when synthetic first appeared (Mobil 1?) I think it was recomended not to install it until your engine was run in. It was just to damn slippy to allow the engine to bed in.

S.

KernowLad said:
But what about this line:

Another 1.6 million cars and vans may have problems caused by the use of a synthetic oil in their gear boxes.

Via another news source, that problems is only with DSG boxes.

I have checked and nothing yet about any recall for DSG for Commercial vehicles.

sidepod said:
Californiaman said:
fully synthetic but it was too slippy.

:laugh2 :laugh2 I like that. Oil doesn't have much of a job description, but slippy is deffo in there I'm sure.

Translating extremely complex wotsits into laymans terms is how I've made my living... :D

Quite a lot of other issues listed too - I do reckon quality has slipped a little with VWs in recent years.

Our van has had a lot of warranty work; doesn't put us off it but it's a wee bit unsettling.

Quality is debatable - how much 'quality' can you build into a modern vehicle.

Clearly there are issues like the roof.

But modern vehicles are so complex, you're increasing the likelihood of something going wrong. I don't think VW's quality has slipped, I think vehicles due to commercial pressure have become increasingly complex, a camping vehicle like the Cali has so many specific parts it does leave them fragile.

Let's be honest, a large number of people enjoy fuss free motoring.

James

Maybe so James but it is not fuss free to find your roof stuck and unable to be lowered just before departing for the ferry or for roof corrosion to appear on an 18 month old vehicle.
Compared with my old T4 California also bought from new this van has had far more problems. And I would say that the camping part of the van is not as robust as the Westfalia.

Complexity should not result in reduced quality. In fact, in house construction they are aiming for zero defects, which is amazing when you consider how and where a house is manufactured. Buying a VW I really expect the same ?am I being unreasonable? No, considering the price and good name of the company.

David

I could get horrified reading this thread.

I drive a complex vehicle, a couple of complex vehicles actually, BMW X3 and 120, and not a single thing wrong with them, ever, as it was with my 330 traveller and the dozen or so that preceded those.

I have a certain amount of faith in German reliability and engineering. Corrosion due to reaction between different metals has been known as a potential source of problems for decades yet here am I reading a potential doomsday catalogue of gloom and doom, in fact I'm amazed that roof blisters does not appear in the optional extra's part of the brochure, probably because it seems not to be optional :D

Seriously, just what is this bag of loose spanners on four wheels that I am buying?

DavidofHook said:
Maybe so James but it is not fuss free to find your roof stuck and unable to be lowered just before departing for the ferry or for roof corrosion to appear on an 18 month old vehicle.
Compared with my old T4 California also bought from new this van has had far more problems. And I would say that the camping part of the van is not as robust as the Westfalia.

Complexity should not result in reduced quality. In fact, in house construction they are aiming for zero defects, which is amazing when you consider how and where a house is manufactured. Buying a VW I really expect the same ?am I being unreasonable? No, considering the price and good name of the company.

David

I don't think issues like that are acceptable and it is fair to say with the push towards ever greater profits, the quality of cars can it be argued have slipped.

i don't think you are being unreasonable but to take the posts here and flatly label every California as being poorly built is simply unfair.

I don't think anyone should accept problems - it doesn't matter what the cost, 40p or 40k - it's simply not acceptable.

But I would struggle to say the California is a complete disaster when it comes to quality. I think you could only base that on accurate data - not the posts on here.

I think people have to accept that modern cars, when they go wrong, they cost.

I've owned an old Westy and I'd take my Beach every time (I didn't owner a Camper Westy)

James

My issues have been;

New rear diff - manufacturing fault, non Cali specific
Roof corrosion; design fault, Cali specific
New steering column; extremely common design fault. Across all the T5.1 van range.
Premature front tyre wear due to poor wheel alignment; dealer issue?
EGR valve fault light, sorted by RAC; design fault?

And a couple of minor issues not worth listing.

For a two year old, 15k mile, £52k van, that seems to be a fair bit!

But none of it has caused a breakdown or massive inconvenience so I'm not hugely worried.

My issues so far...

- reversed into a pillar in france (rear bumper with reversing sensors) coped admirably. Result dented pride and a crack in the bumper protector, and the wood pillar had a serious lean on it after!
- 10 year old son kicked rugby ball high in the air which landed next to van roof and created a big dent end on. Result one seriously scolded child.

slight knocking on the steering currently explained by the fact i do not use the cali everyday and its only intermittent.
loose screws in the rear door locking latch. after carrying bikes on the rear rack.

So all in all on the balance of things actually its fab and I would not change it. Just the family and I need to be a little more careful!

:crazy

MKRW said:
- reversed into a pillar in france (rear bumper with reversing sensors)

That was a waste of money then.... :laugh2

Sorry, couldn't resist.

sidepod said:
MKRW said:
- reversed into a pillar in france (rear bumper with reversing sensors)

That was a waste of money then.... :laugh2

Sorry, couldn't resist.

My wife clipped our Cali on a low wall. Fixed that then she reversed our car (with reversing sensors) into another one…

Nothing since she was 17 then two crunches in a few months - DOH!! :headbang

[quote="KernowLad]My wife clipped our Cali on a low wall. Fixed that then she reversed our car (with reversing sensors) into another one…

Nothing since she was 17 then two crunches in a few months - DOH!! :headbang[/quote]

So out of interest, what did she assume the beeping noise and visual display of the car, very close to an obstical, was trying to tell her?

S.

Back