Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Dual Mass Flywheel (DMF)

jts46

jts46

Super Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 130
Well after 125,594 miles the DMF has finally broken. We are in sunny SW France, and up till now the insurance cover has been excellent. I am expecting a bill when it is repaired of about £1000.
Del la vie

IMG_3079.jpg

Not too bad for a car with that mileage, the Dual Mass Flywheel does seem to be more trouble than it's worth though.

Bad luck, what are the symptoms?
Slipping, no drive, juddering?

Sorry to hear that, hope you get sorted swiftly at reasonable cost.

Sorry to hear your news. That is a good mileage for, what is a heavy vehicle. At least you have good weather, unlike back home in Blighty.

When does the service schedule call for replacement?

When does the service schedule call for replacement?

It doesn't, but the mileage i did was about correct, have helped two friends with T5's of similar mileage replace theirs. Also know of people only doing about 70,000 and they go.

John

John.
I had this go on a Skoda Octavia with the same 130 engine. About 50k miles so relatively low mileage.
I was told then that it is possible to fit a solid flywheel to this engine so no more possible problems with DMFs.
It wasn't taken up as the it was a company car and the lease company would not let it have a modification from standard. Their loss as it went again after 20k miles taking the gearbox out with it.
Might be worth while investigating if the solid flywheeel is still possible.
The other half had a Fabia VRs with the same engine but it was fitted as standard with the solid flywheel and was far smoother than any diesel I've had with a DMF, revved better as well due to the lower mass.

John.
I had this go on a Skoda Octavia with the same 130 engine. About 50k miles so relatively low mileage.
I was told then that it is possible to fit a solid flywheel to this engine so no more possible problems with DMFs.
It wasn't taken up as the it was a company car and the lease company would not let it have a modification from standard. Their loss as it went again after 20k miles taking the gearbox out with it.
Might be worth while investigating if the solid flywheeel is still possible.
The other half had a Fabia VRs with the same engine but it was fitted as standard with the solid flywheel and was far smoother than any diesel I've had with a DMF, revved better as well due to the lower mass.

Thanks for info, but vehicle in hands of insurance company and at a not so local garage (about 1 hours drive from where we are in France). Not a VW franchise but a Peugeot franchise.

I have helped 2 friends change the DMF in their T5's. Both times they were told to fit DMF and not solid flywheel as the gearbox is not up to the torque etc. generated by solid flywheel. We were told something to do with the way modern drivers treat gearbox and clutch.
I don't know whether you have seen a T5 gearbox but not much bigger than a very large shoe box, i was surprised how small it was and could be picked up easily.

Thank you for your advice. The only problem i have is 1) hope they fit genuine parts, 2) The guarantee period, and will it be europe wide. I don,t think so!!!!!!

John

Understood John. Takes care of all the racing starts we Cali drivers do. :)
Good luck with it.

Briwy,
Love your avatar? we went to a campsite in n. France with a similar connection.
Yes you are correct it is to take care of racing starts.

John

Thanks for info, but vehicle in hands of insurance company and at a not so local garage (about 1 hours drive from where we are in France). Not a VW franchise but a Peugeot franchise.
Have you got a 3rd party warranty on your Cali?

No, I think it is his Holiday Travel Insurance that is sorting it out, but usually they have a limit on the actual repair. That is why he is anticipating a bill for £1000 or so.

Does travel insurance cover for vehicle breakdowns and repair?

Well the Travel Insurance I buy does. Normally Health cover and Vehicle Breakdown cover if you wish. Accident Cover is normally covered by your normal Vehicle Insurance.
Vehicle Breakdown cover normally has a cash limit on repair costs but includes hotel/hire vehicle costs and repatriation costs for vehicles that cannot be repaired in a timely manner.

As an example check out the AA and RAC sites. CC does it as well.

Well the Travel Insurance I buy does. Normally Health cover and Vehicle Breakdown cover if you wish. Accident Cover is normally covered by your normal Vehicle Insurance.
Vehicle Breakdown cover normally has a cash limit on repair costs but includes hotel/hire vehicle costs and repatriation costs for vehicles that cannot be repaired in a timely manner.

As an example check out the AA and RAC sites. CC does it as well.[
Thanks WG, I didn't know that. Being new to touring I always assumed my travel insurance was for illness, flights, baggage etc. I will check and review my policy. :thumb

Thanks WG, I didn't know that. Being new to touring I always assumed my travel insurance was for illness, flights, baggage etc. I will check and review my policy. :thumb

My European breakdown insurance is with comfort insurance, the RAC look after the foreign travel bit.
The cost of the repair is borne by me, but towing, hotel costs, hire car or taxi is borne by the insurance cover.

John

Well had van back today and not DMF, but the stubby axle + drive shaft with CV joints replaced, total cost 800 euros. Only took images of stubby axle.

John

IMG_3096.jpg

IMG_3095.jpg

Back