Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Duvalay help pease...

We are using a couple of thermarests for downstairs. Roll up small and also useful if away on day treks etc. Make a big difference over the regular VW thickness of seats etc

After reading this thread I'm considering not ordering the VW comfort mattress and just going down the Duvalay/Zonesleep route. Anybody use both the VW mattress and an extra layer and feel it's essential or should I save my money on that option?

We just use the duvalay gold topper downstairs straight on bed seat find it really comfortable well recommended.

Does anyone use two duvalay sleeping bags downstairs? By my calculation they wouldn't fit side by side (66cm each?)

We use them downstairs, they just curve up the sides by 4-3 inches making it very snug.

We use them downstairs, they just curve up the sides by 4-3 inches making it very snug.
Is that "Good snug" or "bad snug"?

Can't decide whether to spend on two duvalays or one zone sleep. Can't also work out why the custom zone sleep advertised on the right is twice as expensive as the ones on their website. :confused:

The reason the custom ones are more expensive is the normal bed ones are made in China and imported the California ones are made using the same material but in the uk in small batches.

I have a fitted sheet over fleece...and have just bought a Canadian goose down duvet....which fits in a Sheridan duvet cover.
Then my pillows which double up as cushions are cot sized wool pillows.
ONLY THE BEST FOR MY VAN LIFE!

(Great bargains to be had in sales!)

I have two 4cm Duvalays with winter 10.5 tog duvets for downstairs in my T6 Beach - no other topper etc, straight onto bench & board. I also bought the Oriental pillows & optional storage bags + ÂŁ25 for pair.

Very happy with all of it, albeit pricey - sleep like a baby til gone 9AM most trips!

We also used to use them side by side in previous T5 conversion with kitchen unit too, snug but do-able.

We have 2 x duvalays which we lay on top of the VW supplied mattress. We found the VW mattress somewhat hard so went for Duvalays. 2 years on my wife and I now both agree that the Duvalays are not for us and so I was considering some sort of topper on top of the VW mattress.

We tried the duverlay about two years ago in our search for the perfect topper.
But as others have said it is VERY bulky and very horrible to sleep on in hot weather, so much so whilst in Spain where it was 25 degrees at night we ditched them and slept directly on the seat.

We tried the duverlay about two years ago in our search for the perfect topper.
But as others have said it is VERY bulky and very horrible to sleep on in hot weather, so much so whilst in Spain where it was 25 degrees at night we ditched them and slept directly on the seat.
Just back from 3 weeks in Spain yesterday - my problem is that turning during sleep can get the foam twisted at times. Still searching for perfect solution.

We use camping mats for downstairs, either some old thermarests or sea to summit inflatables that take up no space at all. Currently get all our sleep stuff 2 X sleeping bags, pillows mats, liners and mats in 1 shelf under sink with space to spare. Can also use everything if hiking in and camping off van too

If you've some basic sewing skill, it is really easy to fashion your own duvalay from a double/king quilt cover. Just sew it down the (not quite) middle and add fasteners at each side to add your topper and single quilt of choice. That way you can take the quilt of choice per season, and try different toppers (from ÂŁ25 in Aldi a few weeks ago.)

The duvalay format is good as it saves you having to fit sheets (particularly at the narrow end of the roof) and by making your own you get full choice of fabrics / quilts / toppers. For me, my homemadealay is very comfortable, easy and flexible.
I agree with this and have got out the sewing machine also! I purchased lovely Sheridan linen in the online sale and have a Hungarian goose down duvet. My first attempt was with Asda sheets, but why scrimp on bedding....it's not that we scrimped on our vans!

What width Duvalay bags should I buy for the downstairs of my Cali 2013?

Currently in Spain and I can confirm these are not fit for purpose in warm/hot weather.

As soon as temperatures creeped above 20 degrees at night these become unbearable as they just seem to make you sweat, Also the space they take up when driving is huge as we had not noticed before when doing weekends away but now we are on a 3 week trip with more gear they are a big bulk to keep shifting.

Back to a topper for us.

Yes I agree to bulky but great in the winter

Exactly the same reason we sold ours, they unusable in warm weather and worse still you can wash the foam so it just retains all that sweat :confused:

Memory foam heats up in hot weather & is not good to sleep on.
I've just bought standard foam cut to size as a lower bed topper & is fine in current hot weather.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Memory foam heats up in hot weather & is not good to sleep on.
I've just bought standard foam cut to size as a lower bed topper & is fine in current hot weather.

Perhaps that's why they now do something called Freshtec foam. They say its a technically advanced foam designed to keep the occupant cooler. Anyone got one of these? Is it any better?

Perhaps that's why they now do something called Freshtec foam. They say its a technically advanced foam designed to keep the occupant cooler. Anyone got one of these? Is it any better?
As my foam supplier would say "just good marketing"