Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Eating Out rip offs.

westfalia

westfalia

Vehicle
T5 SE 174
Have you ever felt short-changed, or that its a complete rip off whilst
dining out?

2 of the most memorable in the last 10 yrs - it doesn't happen often- are.

1. Swiss pizza, 14€ for a margarita, 24€ for the best on the card.

i explained that if i was to drive though the whole of Italy, i would not find
a pizza that cost 24€

2 Brugges, after all of the restaurants on the back streets were full, we had to then
eat in the square :headbang
plaice and chips 19€
Looked okay on the carte. Reality was it looked like a piece of cardboard with
frozen crinkle cut veg and some oven chips.

We are probably not doing bad if there are only 2 on my mind in 10yrs.

Any thoughts ? :D

Any restaurant on the Rambla in Barcelona. There used to be many good ones. Years ago it was where local people went to stroll, but in the last 20 years it has turned into tourists flocking to frozen Paella for 25euros or Mcdonalds/KFC and frozen tapas, etc. Awful, no one who lives here will go near it. For 25 years I worked at the opera house on the Rambla and would never spend time there. Everybody here used to go there to buy flowers at the colorful shops, but that is long gone because locals don't go and tourists don't buy flowers. Maybe a small glimmer of hope that this terrible virus will sweep all that away. This week I rode my bicycle down the Rambla and with all the crappy restaurants and faux Octoberfest beer terraces closed, it reminded me of it's former beauty. I sincerely hope the city government succeeds in its stated desire to persue a reopening of this area in a way that will support tourism of a kind that does not destroy the ability to live there.

Rome. About 30 years ago. Sat outside on a Terrace opposite the opera house.

A couple of beers, first, .33 of a litre each, then ordered dinner.

Waited ages for dinner but in the meantime was presented with a bill. I looked at it, in lira probably equivalent to 20 euro's today, spluttered something about not having had dinner yet and then was politely told that the bill was just for the drinks.

No wonder that bloke on a Moretti label always looks miserable :shocked

Posh hotel, Lady Wife’s 40th.
‘Tasting Menu for two?’ Ordered
‘Wines to compliment the tasting menu courses?
Ordered
Tasting menu €120 each
Wine tasting menu €200 each!!
Nice though.

we will see how good these rip off merchants are now. why am i bothered about an airline that gave me a load of shite and charged me an extra 80 euro to carry my snow board. sod them. maybe they will try to help customers more in future

Last edited:
43 EUR for 2 cappuccinos and a tiramisu semifreddo at Cafe Florian in St Marks Sq Venice.

Nothing worse that going in a restaurant hungry looking at what you fancy then it turn up looking or tasting nothing like you was expecting.
Crap!!!!!!!
I find it hard to complain even when the waitress comes and takes your plates away saying
“hope you enjoyed your meal”
I’d just smile seething inside thinking I should of just told her it was crap!!!!!
But it’s not her fault it’s the toss bag in the kitchen...
If I do something I do it to the best of my ability
But
Not everyone does unfortunately

Another
Me and the mrs went in a restaurant in Monaco
Stars and bars it was called .
We asked for a seat and they sent us to a waiting area with menu’s and prices
When we looked burger and fries 35euros each we thought sod this.
Next minute or names came out of the tannoy saying our table was ready...
I couldn’t do it we had to eat
It was ok at best but being Monaco I suppose that was cheap
All said and done it’s a good memory so worth every penny

43 EUR for 2 cappuccinos and a tiramisu semifreddo at Cafe Florian in St Marks Sq Venice.

You were lucky. Could have been 430 euros. I was their nearly 20years ago and Mac Ds were the safest bet.

There last October, looked at prices went round into side street 2 x coffee €3.50 each
All the side streets were flooded when we went to Venice and people were using boats ;).

We knew what we were in for at Cafe Florian and it was part of the experience... I just didn’t expect it to be quite that expensive.

6 Euros for a single cup of tea in a Swiss motorway service station in 2011. It was self-service tea, where you put a teabag in a paper cup and add the water yourself.

However, we did manage to completely rip off a restaurant ourselves once. Paid 35 Euros in 2018 for a two course meal for four, including a chateaubriand steak and a litre of wine.

Posh hotel, Lady Wife’s 40th.
‘Tasting Menu for two?’ Ordered
‘Wines to compliment the tasting menu courses?
Ordered
Tasting menu €120 each
Wine tasting menu €200 each!!
Nice though.

Took my wife to Le Manoir aux Quat’Saisons for lunch for our 10th anniversary a couple of years ago.
The food was great, but no lunch is worth £500...:oops:

She got Pizza Hut the following year...

You were lucky. Could have been 430 euros. I was their nearly 20years ago and Mac Ds were the safest bet.

Back in the day, Florian's used to do the best hot chocolate in Italy. No, in the world. And you'd get change from a 10,000 lire note.

God knows what a bellini in Harry's Bar must now set you back. (...Just looked it up: 19 euros).

Anyway, just give me a six pack of any decent beer from Tesco's and a hillside to drink it on with the Cali side door open to the view.

Have you ever felt short-changed, or that its a complete rip off whilst
dining out?

2 of the most memorable in the last 10 yrs - it doesn't happen often- are.

1. Swiss pizza, 14€ for a margarita, 24€ for the best on the card.

i explained that if i was to drive though the whole of Italy, i would not find
a pizza that cost 24€

2 Brugges, after all of the restaurants on the back streets were full, we had to then
eat in the square :headbang
plaice and chips 19€
Looked okay on the carte. Reality was it looked like a piece of cardboard witwh
frozen crinkle cut veg and some oven chips.

We are probably not doing bad if there are only 2 on my mind in 10yrs.

Any thoughts ? :D
My bug bear was cola for the kids. Told not to swill it but it was gone before the meal
arrived. Then thirsty again. Bottled water was just as bad.

I have my office in the very center of Brussels and often feel ashamed how many tourist traps there are around me, but also, how many tourists fall for them! Chinese chocolate sold by Chinese sales ladies to Chinese tourists taking them back home. 'Daily menu' displays full of spelling mistakes selling Gentse Waterzooi made by a chef who never ever heard about Gent in his life. The old restaurants street Rue des Bouchers, with their impressive fish on ice displays, all run by the same company, daily washing their seafood in bleach to mask the smell. . .... Well I guess you should never go for fish in an alley called 'Butcher's street' in the first place ;). Secondly, we all have these handy handy's, with all these usefull resto apps to check, no? Or simply ask the locals. We have a very broad VWCC network here at hand, just to be used!
:welcome
Edit: I often explain to people who don't know the town that 'Brussels' comes from 'Broeckzele', meaning 'a place in the swamp'. It is a great city, but when new in it you need a guide, to discover, and to avoid.

Last edited:
Everywhere in Switzerland especially seafood and sushi or cheese fondue at some hotspots like Grindelwald, Titlis