Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Ebay California - Too Good To Be True?

G

Grebetow

Vehicle
T4 PopTop
Morning all,

I guess you may have seen it by now, but there is an interesting California currently for sale by auction on Ebay. It's advertised as a 1991, but seems to be a 2001 Generation.

Bids are currently at £6,300 with no reserve, and the auction ends on Wednesday 18th July at 19:32. The seller has very low feedback of just 4. The MOT history check seems to pan out.

Too good to be true??

Cheers.

PS - eBay item number: 263803706958

Last edited by a moderator:
Not so - my old '95 Coach has a KPH speedo and that sailed through the MOT.

Yeah I was looking at that last night. Something isn’t right. Colour/Decals etc.
I think it’s an older van with a later interior from a damaged unit?

The reg number doesn’t makes sense.

Deffo worth further investigation.
All the right bits look to be there so it could be a bargain.

Description says 2.4.

Apply caution.

There was a gentleman on here fell foul of a stolen van on Ebay. A genuine horror story.

Stinks to high heaven, I think.

Description says 2.4; pictures say TDI. In this case, if it looks too good to be true, I reckon it definitely is!

Surely it would be impossible for a genuine owner to have a genuine Generation and not know what it is??!!

Agreed. The description is way too basic to be a gen owner. Probably a trader who’s taken it in part ex.

As I said, all the right bits are there so as long as the basic van is sound then take it for what it is. As long as it’s not nicked.

It's only the 1991 bit that screams wrong. Worth asking him to confirm the year - I suspect he just got it wrong.... Or used "sell one like this" where you import an old listing as a starting point.

Get past that confusion, then the detail look can start.

Looks like a good 'un to me. Generation was available in that colour, decals are in the right places. It's already up to £9k so depending how deep the bidders pockets go… £16-17k? Maybe more, the weather is stunning and I can think of nothing better than bagging a T4 Westy and hitting the nearest road to the coast.

Sweepstake anyone?

£9750

About £15k. Worth more than that properly sold, but won't achieve top dollar with inaccuracies and lack of video links etc.

It’s gone! The listing has been taken down. Sold elsewhere maybe.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The new owner will be on here tomorrow then?

Morning all,

I guess you may have seen it by now, but there is an interesting California currently for sale by auction on Ebay. It's advertised as a 1991, but seems to be a 2001 Generation.

Bids are currently at £6,300 with no reserve, and the auction ends on Wednesday 18th July at 19:32. The seller has very low feedback of just 4. The MOT history check seems to pan out.

Too good to be true??

Cheers.

PS - eBay item number: 263803706958
Looks like a good 'un to me. Generation was available in that colour, decals are in the right places. It's already up to £9k so depending how deep the bidders pockets go… £16-17k? Maybe more, the weather is stunning and I can think of nothing better than bagging a T4 Westy and hitting the nearest road to the coast.

Hi, I’ve also a Cali Generation 2001 (had for 17 years) been in touch with David who had his Cali Westy 2001 Event stolen last week from Bristol, he’s heartbroken as you can imagine, for the most part it looks like a Generation of course, but his has a black “skirt” on the bottom and four black patches , two either side of the elevating roof, A posting was on eBay, which I can’t now access
for a California which had a discription ‘all over the place’ like someone who was just trying to sell and new absolutely nothing about our vehicles.at £6000! can anyone remember the colour details etc of the one for sale? It’s now been removed I think. Would be great to feel their collar should they be apprehended by the old bill, they cause so must distress when it’s a family treasure that’s been taken. Even if this is not the one please all us Cali fans, keep a good eye open and access the VW Stolen site,it’s shocking how many family campers have been stolen.

Hi, I’ve also a Cali Generation 2001 (had for 17 years) been in touch with David who had his Cali Westy 2001 Event stolen last week from Bristol, he’s heartbroken as you can imagine, for the most part it looks like a Generation of course, but his has a black “skirt” on the bottom and four black patches , two either side of the elevating roof, A posting was on eBay, which I can’t now access
for a California which had a discription ‘all over the place’ like someone who was just trying to sell and new absolutely nothing about our vehicles.at £6000! can anyone remember the colour details etc of the one for sale? It’s now been removed I think. Would be great to feel their collar should they be apprehended by the old bill, they cause so must distress when it’s a family treasure that’s been taken. Even if this is not the one please all us Cali fans, keep a good eye open and access the VW Stolen site,it’s shocking how many family campers have been stolen.
The one for sale wasn´t the one Brian.
It´s now gone from the listing.
I think someone offered 16,502 and it went. lol.

The one for sale wasn´t the one Brian.
It´s now gone from the listing.
I think someone offered 16,502 and it went. lol.

Ok thanks, let’s all keep a good look out, but as a LHD and real popular reckon it’s on its way unfortunately to Poland etc, I’m in Germany again soon so I keep eyes open.in Germany this type is more popular than the later onesT5 (being a Westfalia) so if it’s for sale there it goes on Mobile.de./scouts.24/eBay.de. but reg of stolen vehicles is more difficult in Germany and more likely in Poland/Romania sorry to say.

Seem to recall it being green. The seller was in Gosport, Hampshire.

Ok thanks, let’s all keep a good look out, but as a LHD and real popular reckon it’s on its way unfortunately to Poland etc, I’m in Germany again soon so I keep eyes open.in Germany this type is more popular than the later onesT5 (being a Westfalia) so if it’s for sale there it goes on Mobile.de./scouts.24/eBay.de. but reg of stolen vehicles is more difficult in Germany and more likely in Poland/Romania sorry to say.
ps. Access the VW stolen Register!