Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Eberspacher Exhaust puzzle

Chriswoody

Chriswoody

Vehicle
T4 PopTop
The exhaust silencer on my Eberspächer heater has a hole which a previous owner has tried to fix, but it's well and truly goosed now. All fine and done, there seems to be spares readily available online. However all the spares that I've seen are just the silencer. As you can see from the photos below, my exhaust pipe seems to be firmly fixed to the silencer. Does anyone know if this is normal and if so where I could begin to look for a replacement. Failing that can I get medieval on it?

[url=https://flic.kr/p/GLcwNH]
[/url]

Blimey. I never knew there was a silencer. I think mine simply has a pipe straight out of the heater. I'll check later.

image.jpeg My Eberspacher didn't come with a silencer (I didn't know they existed)
anyway I bought one off eBay £15 plus p&p.
Well worth buying as it makes a big difference.

Chris I'd think it would be easy to cut your old silencer off to fit a new one.

View attachment 13640 My Eberspacher didn't come with a silencer (I didn't know they existed)
anyway I bought one off eBay £15 plus p&p.
Well worth buying as it makes a big difference.

Chris I'd think it would be easy to cut your old silencer off to fit a new one.
The exhaust silencer on my Eberspächer heater has a hole which a previous owner has tried to fix, but it's well and truly goosed now. All fine and done, there seems to be spares readily available online. However all the spares that I've seen are just the silencer. As you can see from the photos below, my exhaust pipe seems to be firmly fixed to the silencer. Does anyone know if this is normal and if so where I could begin to look for a replacement. Failing that can I get medieval on it?

New on forum not so good wi th computer.Buy exhaust cut off pipe connect with flexipipe using stainless hose clips

Thanks a lot folks for taking the time to reply. All very useful stuff.

I've come across a link here, that describes my set up perfectly and also has some useful info on servicing.

Only T4's thank you for your suggestion, I had originally thought about using a long flexihose and fabricating brackets, but your suggestion makes more sense.

In the end though, I might not need to do this because I've just checked the parts catalogue and they have the complete piece listed as a VW part! Never thought to check VW. Knowing my luck though it will be a discontinued part like the holey Air Con pipe I've got.

Blimey. I never knew there was a silencer. I think mine simply has a pipe straight out of the heater. I'll check later.

Early Westies don't have the exhaust silencer, only the inlet silencer. Out of the two, the inlet silencer is the most effective, so I wouldn't worry too much about not having one.

Chris, just type 'Eberspacher Exhaust' into ebay and you'll find just about everything you need to rebuild your heater's exhaust system, probably a lot less than going to VW.

Well It's been a while due to work commitments and a month long trip away in the bus, but I've finally got around to sorting the issue. I could have done with it though, when I was camping in Britain in early July, it was bloomy freezing!

Firstly a massive thank you to all of you who have taken the time to contribute your thoughts here. A couple of you were confirming what I was thinking, in that I needed to make my own section up out of different parts. This was also confirmed by the T4 Wiki, who also advised to go down the personal fabrication route. So yesterday my parcel arrived with some fresh new parts.

The only issue was the silencer was slightly different. I couldn't work out on the website, what the difference was between them all, aside from the price, needless to say I managed to get a different one to the one I had!

Needless to say the difference was not so great as to stop the show. So half an hour later I had a new exhaust made up from the hacksawed off end of the old pipe and the new sections.

Another half an hour under the van and I had it fitted back in place.

I can't say it's made a massive difference, but it seems to be quieter as long as your not immediately next to it, I'm happy I've done it though. There is still a strong smell of Diesel on start up, but it hasn't been used for a long time, so I'm hoping that if I leave it running for a while, everything will be O.K. There used to be a strong smell of Diesel in the van as well, which is why I never used it last year, this seems to be gone as well. I just need to pick a much cooler day then today to properly test it!

Back