Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Eberspacher replacement?

• Thread starter TwentyOneThirtyFive
  • Start date
The Airtronic D2 fitted to our 2017 Cali isn't fitted in a metal box

Oh. Really ? How is it fitted ? I’m beginning to lose the will to live with all this. You can get a mounting plate it would seem which is much cheaper. Would that work ? I just want to be warm !!!!!!

Oh. Really ? How is it fitted ? I’m beginning to lose the will to live with all this. You can get a mounting plate it would seem which is much cheaper. Would that work ? I just want to be warm !!!!!!
Same heater on T5. No box.
F3BE579B-F023-4051-ABD7-2318D2DD4D50.jpeg

Ooooooh !! Look at that !! Cool. So how is it held up ? By magic or something like this ?

3C934D80-C37F-4B4A-BD90-550FBD736809.png

As with most problems, a bit less ranting on here and a bit more time under the van........

Eberspacher on a T5/T6 may not be in a box but it does have a hard plastic guard and a plastic shield, or at least it should have.

Later T4s had a D3L which is the same footprint as a modern Airtronic etc. all of the mounting parts are different to the early version but I think it ducts into the same inlet and outlet inside the vehicle.

Diagrams of heater fitment on a 1996 T4...

Note that is for a LHD vehicle so the heating air intake is through the side panel not through the step. (Item 10 etc.)

full

full

full

That’s really helpful Rod. Thanks

Ranting ? Wouldn’t say ranting. And time under the van when you have a pit or a lift is easy. Not so when it’s snowing and your van lives on the street and you work from 7am till 8pm every day. I want to get my facts straight before I go and blow a ton of money on the wrong thing. But thanks for the helpful advice.

No problem Roadiesean, pleased to be of some help.

If you have the early version then I guess it is more or less the same as the one fitted on a T3 (Type 25) which my son had although his was a petrol one. We had problems with that when he bought the vehicle and stripped it all down and made a special job of cleaning all wiring connectors. He used the van for many years after that and it no further problems.

PS earth (chassis) connections are often overlooked when faulting such circuits.

Mate on this van nothing would surprise me me ! It was so rusty when I bought it. Probably parked in a swamp or something. All getting there now. Maybe I’ll try and get some ramps and properly get under it and clean things all up. I’m sure it’s a bloody mess !!! But yes it’s a ‘94 and everything seems more T3 than T4 really.

Thanks again everyone for your help !

I don’t quite understand why we’re worrying about the metal box? It provides the air path around the heat exchanger. It’s part of the design, it’s necessary.

Why is it then, Sidepod, that all the D2 models in later vans have no box at all ? That makes no sense. There is no opening in my box that would allow extra airflow, certainly no more than there would be without a box ? And why all the fuss ? I don’t know, maybe £180 + VAT for the bloody thing ?

I think I have a D2 in the garage I was intending to fit to my T25, never got it working as the wiring loom needed re-doing. Not sure how far away you are, could try it to see if it works

With the cost of servicing of these things, the chinese ones seem a good deal, it would be cheaper to get one than to get my D2 serviced thats before buying or making a new loom.

I noticed a couple of airtrinic d3s for sale on ebay. Are they the same? About 130 quid. Bargain if they fit. Check them out mate.

Apparently the D3 has a different wiring loom. I had the van up on a lift on Thursday and had a good look. I think checking and cleaning the connections and maybe replacing the pump won’t hurt that’s for sure. Not a lot of lovely clean metal that’s for sure.

Back