Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

ECU Update

John

John

VIP Member
Original post Calikev

I have just received a letter from vw saying there is an ecu update for my van
Does anybody know what it's for and how it will affect the vehicle?

Original post californiaman

I had a recall performed on mine at SMG. It was a software update for the DPF filter. No effect other than it fixes a potentially incorrect error condition...

Original post Calikev

I had a recall performed on mine at SMG. It was a software update for the DPF filter. No effect other than it fixes a potentially incorrect error condition...

I had the ECU software update done last month, though I had to initiate the approach to my local dealer,
as VW never contacted me re a recall. (something about not being a mandatory recall)
On speaking to the VW technician, it seems that the new software resolves a few problems to do with the DPF
and to also solve some other fuel mapping problems. (rough running at certain revs and loadings)
He did mention that some owners had noticed a small increase in fuel consumption as has been the case with mine. (2 -3 mpg less)

I booked my van in a few weeks ago for a heater issue.the problem didn't arise again so I rang and cancelled the
Appointment . Last week I had a letter to say my van was due for work but I never turned up.it also said I needed an ecu update I had it done on Friday but haven't used the van to notice any difference.i will update if I notice any change.

My VW garage have replaced the ECU as a result of the van cutting out all the time. It seems like a bit of an expensive cop out to me. They tried updating it but that didn't do the job.

Has anyone heard of the ECU needing to be replaced, not just updated?

My VW garage have replaced the ECU as a result of the van cutting out all the time. It seems like a bit of an expensive cop out to me. They tried updating it but that didn't do the job.

Has anyone heard of the ECU needing to be replaced, not just updated?
Did it fix the problem?

I got the van back about a week ago and the new ECU and 'computer update' seems to have fixed the problem. It was a VERY expensive part to go wrong with a 4 year old Cali.

Back