Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

ECU location.

JohnBoy56

JohnBoy56

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Hi all, it is my first time for me posting on the forum. I have been a member for a while and am grateful for useful information I have taken from this site.
Please could someone let me know where the ECU is located in the VW T6 Ocean. Mine is due to be replaced this week, under warranty at my local VW dealers. I wish to know which panels/ trim will have to be removed to access the ECU.
Also has anyone had any issues after having ECU replaced. Disappointed this has to be done, it’s only two years old and done 6000 miles, but pleased it’s being done under warranty.

Hi all, it is my first time for me posting on the forum. I have been a member for a while and am grateful for useful information I have taken from this site.
Please could someone let me know where the ECU is located in the VW T6 Ocean. Mine is due to be replaced this week, under warranty at my local VW dealers. I wish to know which panels/ trim will have to be removed to access the ECU.
Also has anyone had any issues after having ECU replaced. Disappointed this has to be done, it’s only two years old and done 6000 miles, but pleased it’s being done under warranty.
The ECU is located under the Bonnet.
E22EB30A-AD3B-4EF5-BF5B-59590E111FB8.jpeg

The BCM, Body Control Module, that controls many other vehicle functions is located
Under the Dashboard, R side.

The ECU is located under the Bonnet.
View attachment 48878

The BCM, Body Control Module, that controls many other vehicle functions is located
Under the Dashboard, R side.

Isn't ECU: engine computer unit? Not Body control Module.

The ECU is placed under the starter battery if I remember correctly. Have not needed to go there anywhere near in my van in 9 years, so I am not sure.

Isn't ECU: engine computer unit? Not Body control Module.

The ECU is placed under the starter battery if I remember correctly. Have not needed to go there anywhere near in my van in 9 years, so I am not sure.
Correct , but the poster wanted to know which panels/trim had to be removed, so just in case it wasn’t the ECU , no panels or trim need to be removed for this, I included the BCM as some trim does have to be removed for this to be replaced.

Thanks you for getting back to me with the information.
The Customer service guy in the dealer said it was ECU or ECM ? to be replaced. The issue I had was on a return trip from North Wales, travelling through the mountains the ‘coil indicator warning’ light was flashing, I pulled over, then drove off and vehicle went in ‘limp mode’. Shut the engine down, alarm reset. Travelled home OK, with no repeat alarm.
Cali had first service two days later, explained the situation to dealer and was told the ECU or ECM would need to be replaced.
I presume it will be the ECU, which if located under the battery won’t require any panels or trim removed.

There will be some panels removed, but not on the interior of the van. So nothing you will notice while driving or living in it.

Back