Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

ECU update

L

LTW

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
Hi all, my 67 plate, 21k mileage California Beach is booked in for its Major service as part of the service plan. VW have just advised me that an 07/2019 recall - ECU software update for emissions is outstanding and they'll perform this update whilst in for the service. My dilemma, is that in 2019 I had an Avon tuning stage 1 ECU remap which has totally transformed the drive ability of the van and I don't want the recall to change the remap performance. Considering the recall date would it be okay to decline the update.

In my view it is very probable that VW applying their ECU update will overwrite (and therefore disable) your ECU remap coding.

The Emissions update is part of VW's drive to remove its emissions defeat (cheat) coding.

Many owners have declined this.

The new VW ECU emissions update will increase the amount of AddBlue that you consume. To partially compensate, VW offer 8 'free' AddBlue topups. The downside is that you have to take your Cali in to a VW Van Centre to do this....ok if the van centre is on our doorstep , but for me it is 20 miles away and is not worth the hassle.

I think in your shoes I would decline.

The risk is that VW do not ask next time and simply update the ECU when next in for a service.

Reactions: BDG
I called a different garage today and posed a hypothetical question about my dilemma. The service advisor wasn't sure and hasn't yet returned my call. I'm thinking the same and will decline the update unless I hear back in the meantime. thanks again.

I called a different garage today and posed a hypothetical question about my dilemma. The service advisor wasn't sure and hasn't yet returned my call. I'm thinking the same and will decline the update unless I hear back in the meantime. thanks again.
Have you asked the company that did your remap?

I've spoken with the remap Co and they've advised me that the update will wipe their remap. I can therefore either decline the update or accept the update and the remap Co will reprogram for free.

I've spoken with the remap Co and they've advised me that the update will wipe their remap. I can therefore either decline the update or accept the update and the remap Co will reprogram for free.
Best of both worlds.

That is very good of remap co. Usually you'd get charged.

My 17 plate had an Adblue update, not mandatory on 204 but seem to recall that it was on the 150. Adblue consumption now much higher. I had it done as my logic was that it would possibly keep the exhaust cleaner and therefore less likely to have 'sooted up' sensors later. dealer said that it was an emission update not an engine change.

I didn't notice any performance changes afterwards, Pendle remap afterwards so can't advise on whether it overwrote it.

My 17 plate had an Adblue update, not mandatory on 204 but seem to recall that it was on the 150. Adblue consumption now much higher. I had it done as my logic was that it would possibly keep the exhaust cleaner and therefore less likely to have 'sooted up' sensors later. dealer said that it was an emission update not an engine change.

I didn't notice any performance changes afterwards, Pendle remap afterwards so can't advise on whether it overwrote it.
Pendle remap on a 204? Must fly about now!

I had a Pendleton remap on my last 2.5tdi 5 pot. Brilliant.
be interested in what you think.
TVS Stage2+ DQ500 now done & certainly seemless gear changes. Only a run back of 44 miles with some back roads and noticed 7th now only used as an overdrive gear above 55ish.

In my view it is very probable that VW applying their ECU update will overwrite (and therefore disable) your ECU remap coding.

The Emissions update is part of VW's drive to remove its emissions defeat (cheat) coding.

Many owners have declined this.

The new VW ECU emissions update will increase the amount of AddBlue that you consume. To partially compensate, VW offer 8 'free' AddBlue topups. The downside is that you have to take your Cali in to a VW Van Centre to do this....ok if the van centre is on our doorstep , but for me it is 20 miles away and is not worth the hassle.

I think in your shoes I would decline.

The risk is that VW do not ask next time and simply update the ECU when next in for a service.
Bought mine secondhand and had the update already didn’t realise I had 8 addblue refills sheet was hidden in paperwork so thanks for the info on my calculations that should last about 30-40k and forgot to stamp my sheet last time so 9 refills once the 5 years are up on warrantee I will be looking at a remap though may be tempted with a Cali 7 by then!

Back